PDA

View Full Version : Deadbeats

HOMER
03-09-2001, 08:05 AM
I did a clean-up on January 4th after agreeing with the homeowner on a price of $100.00. I did the clean-up, lost my shirt, left the invoice on the front door along with a contract agreement which we had also discussed.

End of January: Mailed another invoice reminding them that they had not paid!

Middle of February: Printed before and after pictures of lawn, reprinted invoice, composed letter letting them know that although we had not written anything up I felt like I could prove fairly easily that I had been there and done the work..............................sent it certified!

2 days later: received signed receipt from letter

March 7th: Got pissed and called the man of the house on his job, asked what the problem was..........he claims there was no problem, they had been soooooo busy they just havent wrote the check yet, says he has been after his wife to send it. Wanted me to continue services, I reluctantly said I would if we could iron out some payment wrinkles. He said he would always leave the check in the mailbox, that way they wouldn.t have to remember to mail it! I had my doubts.

March 8th: The $100.00 check was to be left in the mailbox for me to pick up on the morning of the 8th. Shazzzaammm, it was there. As I picked it up from the mailbox I scanned the yard, needs doing thats for sure. He had asked me when I could get back over there! I had to go by my bank and make a deposit, since the PAY TO area was left blank I though to my self: SELF, WHY NOT TAKE IT STRAIGHT TO HIS BANK! Self answered right away and said: GOOD THANKIN! I awaited the opening of his bank with mixed emotions, I was happy to finally have been payed for work done 2 months ago but at the same time was a little apprehensive about doing anymore business with these people. As I pulled into the drive thru and turned off the deeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeelllllll HELLOOOOOOOOO, I put my long lost little check into the canister and noticed something quite strange, it almost bounced back out, hmmmmmmmmm I said to myself, that was strange! SELF answered back: DANG SURE WAS THERE HOMER! I went through the motions, had to actually ink my thumb print on the back of the check, sent it back to the girl, she sent it back to me, needed my drivers license, I sent it back to her again...............I was getting a liiiiiiitttttttttle p.o. ded by now! And finally she called back and said, Sorry Homer, there arent enough funds to cash this check, you can try back tomorrow!:mad: :confused: :rolleyes:

I eagerly await the opening of this bank this a.m! Now that I have already inked the check and know to have my I.D. in the canister I will watch closely as I slide the check down in, I.ll be looking for that little bouncing action. If indeedy it does not clear again today I will make a trip to the local distict attorney office and see if he will want to call the man on his job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL GET MY DAMMED UP MONEY ONE WAY OR DA OTHER!:D I have friends you know, I got a little EYETALIAN in me and I aint skeered to use my mafia contacts! These people make me sick, she is an assistant principle at a high school, he is a finance manager at a car dealership............you think they might have a spare $100.00 laying around?

I have been fortunate, this is only the 2nd bad check I have ever received, I aint used to this crap........

Will update as the story unfolds!

TJLC
03-09-2001, 08:27 AM
I feel for you Homer,it has happened to me three times. You would think I would learn. It's just hard for me to tell the good payers from the bad payers at first. I guess you take a chance with everyone when you start new service with them. It definately leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I guess that's one of the disavantages of residentials vs commericals. My commericals are signed yearly contracts and I have never had a problem getting paid. Residentials might seem good at first but then to your suprise, they just don't pay. Like in your case,an assistant principle and a finace manager! How could you know. Don't beat yourself up over this. You are not the first or last person this will happen to. Have a good day.

Green Finger
03-09-2001, 08:39 AM
Booooooooooooooooooooo for the bad guys.

Homer that happen to me once and boy did it hurt. But instead of cashing the check I deposited into my account.

So when the rubber ducky bounced. They zapped my account for the amount of the check and took an additional $25.00. Which caused my checks to bounce like a basket ball.

It was terrible, I tell ya.

Just pain old terrible.

I had to get my cousin Bubba to collect from the lady.

Oh by the way, If you guys have any bad debt collections. Bubba is real good in collecting.

Give him a call a 555-5555. LOL

mowerman90
03-09-2001, 08:52 AM
Homer,

I feel for ya buddy. I think that all of us have been there at one time or another. I've been luckier than most at only having two checks turn to rubber over the years. If it ever happens to me again I'm gonna call the M.A.D collection agency (http://www.madagency.com/) that I learned about on this forum. That way even if it's a small amount I'll get the satisfaction of knowing that they'll have that on there credit report. May they all die with festering sores on their beat, burnt bodies. I'm not bitter, can't you tell?

sgreanbean
03-09-2001, 09:05 AM
thats bad news homer
i had this gut with whom i grew up with his kids, known the man most my life, mowed his lawn,he takes me on the money, i called the lawyer and sent him a letter, still no cash, lawyer went to court, customer no show, The customer now has a lien on his house and a credit report not so good! still wish i hade the money

Lee Homan
03-09-2001, 10:02 AM
You always try to give the customer the benefit of the doubt but every once in a while someone comes around and stiffs ya real good and it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. What I started doing last year on mowing is if they want a yearly or seasonal contract they pay the first month in advance then if I don't receive payment for the next month by the 15th than I quit mowing. You still lose a couple mowings but it's not as bad as losing a whole month plus 2 weeks of the following month.

joshua
03-09-2001, 10:54 AM
homer i did a landscaping job in july, they still owe me $1220, i have been to court 2 times. 1 time she didn't show and said she didn't know when it was. so we went back again, she knew the judge and now i'm going back on march 29. she loved me when i made her yard go from the worst on the street to the best. now she don't want to even talk. i didn't even charge her my usual rate i wish i would of, dam bit!h

guntruck
03-09-2001, 11:11 AM
Man i feel for you guys!!! Im sure sooner or later its bound to happen to all of us but its just hard to accept that people initiate the work then wont pay!!! Good luck on collections fellas.

GrassMaster
03-09-2001, 11:53 AM
Hello Everybody:

Homer they both have Gravey Jobs, School System Employee & Manager at car lot? They probably live in a $150,000 plus home & both drive almost new Vehicles? That alone means they broke & can't pay their bills!

Between both of them they probably could not cook a decent meal or clean the yard if their lives depended on it? LOL

Look at their Jobs, Homer you run the numbers & tell me how many folks like me & you it takes to give these people a job. I figure about 300+ each give or take a few folks that actually work for a living.

When do you think is the last lime they went home tired from working, probably the day they filled out their Resume? Because the day they got that job is the Day they quit working. They probably Qualify to work for Post Office now? If they get that job their you can add another 2 cents to stamps.

Did you see 60 minutes a few years ago they had a Special about Postal Workers, at that time over 40% of the work force was out on workers comp & everyone of the folks they checked on was working another job, while on workers comp.

City, County, State, Government & Federal Employees are going to bankrupt this country. Yes a very few of them are not over paid(most are)for what little they do, but look at those unGodly benefits they get & show me one that goes home tired from working & I show you windshield wipers on a Goats Behind! Yes a few might actually work, but it is nothing compaired to what we have to do?

They get the benefits by the sweat of our backs working like dogs. Average of 5 employees for every real job for one or two employees? Everytime you have any kind of dealings with any of them, all you get is the run around because nobody knows whos job is what?

I know what I'm talking about & I had people in my family that worked for more than one of those outfits I was talking about. They tell you the same thing because that's why they got the job to start with. It is impossible for one of them to loose their job. Ask them, if they do nothing they get promoted if they do something they get promoted? Salary increases all the time.

Yeh I hear them tell me that they can't afford that because they are just a school teacher, well here where I live they make $14 an hour work about 8 months out of the year. Again all those UnGodly benefits, well with that they are at over $20 an hour & if a problem at school no matter how minor, they get on the Phone & verbaly Whoop you because you work for a living & they let you know quick that they think they are better than you. It is your fault the kids act up & they do not have time to deal with it because they got time off in a few weeks & if they get over on the working man, then they can rest easy on their break. That is all they get is time off at our Expense & they still will not even try to help us no matter what we hand them on a silver platter? It is never enough!

20 years ago you never got calls from school, but now the working man is used as a whipping post because they do not want to do their job & they get paid for it so they should do it as far as I'm concerned?

If I stepped on anybodies Spouces feet, well you try to explain it different because we all need a good laugh!

I personally like the one where some of them say they put their lives on the line for us! I stand behind a cash register & we are dropping like flies way faster than any other 3 or 4 or more professions like the above put together. That shuts them up!

All the above is true or very close to true, they know it TOO! That's a Fact Jack! Now What Was this Post about? Oh that's right, Deadbeats? If they had to work like us, they pay us at time of completion of work & give a us a bonus!

Fantasy Lawns
03-09-2001, 12:04 PM
Been real lucky .....not one yet ...but have had non payers ....have a collector they get 30% do all the dirty work ....
http://www.nolo.com/encyclopedia/articles/ctim/protection.html
good link for state info ...

[Edited by theleven on 03-09-2001 at 04:09 PM]

Chopper Lover
03-09-2001, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by GrassMaster

City, County, State, Government & Federal Employees are going to bankrupt this country. Yes a very few of them are not over paid(most are)for what little they do, but look at those unGodly benefits they get & show me one that goes home tired from working & I show you windshield wipers on a Goats Behind! Yes a few might actually work, but it is nothing compaired to what we have to do?

They get the benefits by the sweat of our backs working like dogs. Average of 5 employees for every real job for one or two employees?
[/B]

Wow, I am a county employee and had no idea I was so evil. Thank God I am not a teacher, you just might shoot me. You are right, the benefits are pretty good, but I did not know the measly salary my coworkers and I make was going to bankrupt the country. Maybe I should give it back... But then again, I could be one of the few that are not overpaid. Probably not.

I realized how I was benefiting from the sweat off your back while you work like a dog and started to feel guilty. I started looking for the 5 employees it takes to do the work of one or two. I asked the guys at work were all the extra people were that you referred to in your quote above. They reminded me that I was silly and already knew that in my occupation they have downstaffed us to one person doing the jobs of two people. I quickly remembered that they were right.

I know what I do is nothing as compared to you GrassMaster. You said so in your quote. You may find this hard to believe, seeing how I am a county government employee, but I realized that I do the work of 2 people when I work, and the sweat my back equals or exceeds that of yours. I would like to take you up on your offer. I do go home tired quite often. Really sore sometimes too. Please post that photo of the goat with windshield wipers on its behind. I look forward to seeing it!

As a government employee I have the best job in the world. For the record, I am a Fireman and would not trade it for anything!

Mark

(Please note. I am not really offended by what GrassMaster said. He just caught me on a bad day. In most of GrassMasters post I must agree. I just want everyone to be reminded that Public Safety is part of the government. We work hard and get crapped on regularly. Please remember that what we do, we do for you. Please support your fire service in any way you can. Thanks, Mark)

HOMER
03-09-2001, 08:27 PM
As long as you pay your grass mowin bill I could care less what you do! I have no gripe about anybody s job, sure some do have it easier than others, they might have planned their life to get there too, if they did then they planned well. Jealousy has never been my strong suite, if you have it and got it honestly then I am proud fer ya. If you got it the wrong way then I feel fer ya, ya gotta answer for it sooner or later.

Update:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Tried to call deadbeat today at work. He was not there but he was on the phone with them so I asked them to pass a message on to him and make sure you tell him it is important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave them my cell phone # and eagerly awaited his call........never came. Went to the D.A.s office and was told I had to run the check through my bank before they could start collection. I waited all day for him to call........the check will be deposited in the morning. His mistake!

Chopper Lover
03-09-2001, 08:33 PM
Homer...

This is the post I originally intended to send...

Do you have any old Paraquat lying around? That should do wonders!!!

I hope the check becomes good.

Good Luck!
Mark

HOMER
03-09-2001, 08:45 PM
Nope, but them round-up balloons are looking better every hour!

bob
03-09-2001, 09:04 PM
In a kind of a related story, my friend owns a refrigeration repair business. He was at a Mom&Pop store to fix the refrigerator. He said that he would have to be paid when the job was done. The owner said, no problem. Upon completion he ask to be paid. The owner said that he didn't have the money and to send him a bill. My friend went back over to the refrigerator that he just fixed and started to work on it. The store owner ask him what he was doing. My friend told him that he was taking out the new parts that he had just put in. Then the store owner had no problem finding the money to pay for the repair!

kutnkru
03-09-2001, 11:30 PM
Yo Homer,

You n me go waaayyyy back to the old hood.

If yews be needin sumpin just hit me on da hip and I.ll get the boyz. I swing by the docks, labor hall, and wreckin yard when yer ready. -LOL

Actually there is nothing more frustrating than walking/driving up to the teller and handing them a check (with that look of a child in the candy store) only to have it tossed back at you.

I agree that most of our clients are strapped from the Jones Factor, but they still cannot comprehend that we look like bafoons, and/or idiots for such moronic behavior as to render a service without either prior payment, or contract in hand.

I guess it just goes to show that the days of doing business by a hand shake are quickly coming to an end. The sad part is that if you cant trust someones word who can you trust??

I feel yo pain my brotha, I feel yo pain!
Kris

Vibe Ray
03-10-2001, 12:36 AM
HOMER!!! It's $100.00! Let it go! It is obviously causing you so much trouble, it is not worth it. All the time you spend trying to call the guy and cash the check and whatever else such as drive over to pick up check in mailbox is all time that could be spent working and making up for that loss. And you would be much happier working that extra time than spending that extra time doing all this stuff you speak of.
Drop it and never work for them again and spread the word to everyone of what they did to you.

joshua
03-10-2001, 12:46 AM
vibe, somethings are meant to be dropped and others like me and homer have to much ego as many people say for me. and we will kill ourselfs worring and stupid $hit like that. i don't know why i do but it eats at me constantly sometimes.

awm
03-10-2001, 01:08 AM
Got a bad one from a lady said her name was vicky
seamon.When it bounced I FIGURED THE LAST NAME WAS SO I WOULDNT ASK QUESTIONS.Takes all kinds.

DBM
03-10-2001, 03:58 AM
For $100.00 I'd let it go. Here's a story you might enjoy. I used to be the co-owner of a wholesale business that supplied retail businesses. Collecting money was a problem for us at first as we dealt with a perishable product (live tropical fish), if the customer killed their fish some would postpone paying us until they could recover their losses. At any point and time we could have $50,000 owed to us.
This didn't last long...My business partner had a short fuse and was known to lose it. One fellow refused to pay up stating he received an inferior shipment. We try to work with our customers to keep them happy even though we explicitly said we can't afford to guarantee live arrival. In this case the customer wasn't acting in good faith.
One weekend we walked into this business to collect our money and then terminate our vendor/customer relationship. This guy refuses to pay us saying something along the lines of "sue me".
My partner snaps. He proceeds to scare the crap out of both the owner and the customers on a busy saturday. He grabs an armfull of expensive equipment from the store and heads for the truck, all the while screaming profanities at the owner. I swear his head was going to explode. He throws the stuff into the truck and returns for more.
All told he got twice what the guy owed us. The guy was so scared that he did nothing.
I tell you, word travels fast in that industry, and within a couple of days everyone locally had heard what happened.

T-Bone
03-10-2001, 05:29 AM
Homer

If this becomes a legal issue make sure you get his SS# in case he skips out on you, this way you can always find him.

NO I'm like you. I just can't seem to let things go regardless of $ amount. This is why scum bags like this keep doing it.

Don't waste the extra money on round-up use rock salt, when they see it starting to turn brown the first thing they think is water, water, water, thats just what the salt wants to help dissolve. Won't help much to reseed, won't nothing grow there for a few years anyway.

Paradise Yard Service
03-10-2001, 05:54 AM
Homer,

If you would like I can enlist the help of Hawaiis special agents. Called The Polynesian Collection Agency. Our version of the mob. Most of there work is done in the sugar cane fields or they simply take the perp for a drive!

Get yo money!

Mahalo,

P.Y.S.

Craig Turf Management
03-10-2001, 06:25 AM
I have allowed a couple of clients get away without paying for services rendered. I called a few times, sent registered mail etc. to no avail. I have made it a matter of policy to never again let anyone get away without paying. It's not just a matter of principle, but money and pride. I sweat my butt off out there making their lawn a showplace, and they don't have the courtesy to pay me? I don't think so. I realize that most of us have cash flow problems from time to time, but we can work that out. I find that when folks get behind on their bill, they are too embarassed to talk to me. They would rather hide. Well in pursuing these "deadbeats", I get to fine-tune my collection skills, and discover new resources for getting my money. I noticed som replys regarding Round-up and rock salt. I no you guys are just kidding and would never do something that would land you in jail and destroy any credibility you have as a turf manager.
Love, Bill

T-Bone
03-10-2001, 07:38 AM
I try to lead a clean life. But still have a little dirt in the back of the closet.

Just ROCK & ROLL

[Edited by T-Bone on 03-10-2001 at 12:06 PM]

HOMER
03-10-2001, 09:06 AM
I wish I could just let it go. I can.t and the check will wind up at the DA.s office soon enough. I.m going to run it through my bank and if they are lucky, it will make it. If not it.s going to cost them an additional $28.00 plus the $110.00 the DA tacks on. I spent a lot of time trying to get this yard in shape, more than it was worth, they got me once(I got myself) but they will not get me again!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1347139&a=10028194&p=37687035
If you could have seen the way it looked before you would understand. When I left this yard it was in great shape compared to when I got there. They had to notice. I won.t be treated like a second class yard scrub, I.m not, never was. I will be treated just like any other reputable business that is passes a bad check, I want my money. Your right, I have waisted enough time on this, thats why somebody else can take over now. :D

[Edited by HOMER on 03-10-2001 at 01:18 PM]

Chopper Lover
03-10-2001, 09:10 AM
To Homer...

I agree, but even a Second Class Yard Scrub does not deserve that if the scrub does a good job like it sounds you did.

Just a thought. If you decide to pursue the money you are owed out of principle, and have exhausted all the conventional means of getting it, try a Mechanic's Lien on their home. Don't forget to add in as much as you can to recoup some of your legal expenses. A lien on their home will get you your money no matter what. It just may take a LONG time but in the end, you win!

To T-Bone...

I Love the rock salt idea!!! Hehehe

To Bill...

Of course we would never do such a thing as to sabotage a customers property. Killing their yard violates EVERYTHING we strive for by performing this line of work. But, it is fun thinking like a deviant!

Have a great day!
Mark

[Edited by Chopper Lover on 03-10-2001 at 01:13 PM]

HOMER
03-10-2001, 09:27 AM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1347139&a=10028194&p=37687028

I think this proves I was there!

grade
03-10-2001, 10:36 AM
I'll tell ya theirs nothing worse than not getting paid for a job well done.In my case the same thing happened it was a fall cleanup and I charged 225.00 I waited and waited I just kept getting blown off so I went to the compost yard loaded my dump truck with leaves and returned all the leaves right in the front yard.

mmorgan
03-10-2001, 11:37 AM
Make them sign a contract before you do any work. I will e-mail you mine if you would like. It is from my attorney. it is very clear. Remember, it is just business. If you thought you weren't going to be paid, you would not be there asking for the job. It is nothing personal. If you would like to see mine, e-mail me. mmorgan@htb.net

Greenkeepers
03-10-2001, 11:38 AM
I would not let it go..... Yeah it's only $100 but that 100 will buy new shoes for your kid and put a few meals on the table. These people need to realize that they can't take advantage because "he's just the lawn guy"

I had one who wouldn't pay me and gave me the run around so one time I was on the phone with him and my fiance was standing at the front door. When he said that he'd mail the check I told him to open the door and give it to my collection agent standing at the front door. I told him that if the check wasn't good there would be a lien slapped on his property and it would be much more expensive than the $600 that he owed me.

Needless to say it all cleared. And I dropped him and his mother because she was related to him...

Vibe Ray
03-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Greenkeepers
I would not let it go..... Yeah it's only $100 but that 100 will buy new shoes for your kid and put a few meals on the table.

I agree, but you know what would be even better your kids? If you spent all that time trying to get $100 from this guy working and making money instead. That would not only buy much more than a pair of shoes, it would also be better for the kids by having a dad that isn't so stressed out.

LScom Addict
03-14-2001, 03:55 AM
I have always relied on word of mouth in the past but after reading the vast number of posts on this site I wont be unloading a piece of equipment or a finger unless its for the pen so they can sign. I know of contactors who use the collection agencies and it seems to work well for them.

Mowin4cash
03-15-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Vibe Ray
HOMER!!! It's $100.00! Let it go! It is obviously causing you so much trouble, it is not worth it. All the time you spend trying to call the guy and cash the check and whatever else such as drive over to pick up check in mailbox is all time that could be spent working and making up for that loss. And you would be much happier working that extra time than spending that extra time doing all this stuff you speak of.
Drop it and never work for them again and spread the word to everyone of what they did to you.

I could have a customer screw me for 1 cent, I'd spend $100.00 just to show them that I wouldn't put up with it. That's what is wrong with this land today, people tolerate too much crap!

Mowin4cash
03-15-2001, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Vibe Ray
Originally posted by Greenkeepers
I would not let it go..... Yeah it's only $100 but that 100 will buy new shoes for your kid and put a few meals on the table.

I agree, but you know what would be even better your kids? If you spent all that time trying to get $100 from this guy working and making money instead. That would not only buy much more than a pair of shoes, it would also be better for the kids by having a dad that isn't so stressed out.

Man Vibe, I hate to get you on this again, but if my kids saw me collecting from a deadbeat, they would be learning a valuable lesson in the importance of paying your bills. Also, it would show them how uncomfortable it would be to have someone knocking on thier door wanting money. They could go to school and say "I went to work with my dad the other day, and he collected some money from this customer who refused to pay him", instead of saying, "My dad is a wuss, he lets his customers beat him out of money." Consider it a lesson in character developement and backbone hardening.

AVRECON
03-15-2001, 10:24 PM
Homer, Call the guy and say look, if you don't have my cash this afternoon when you get home, this check is going to the D.A.'s office. Now if it were me in this situation, I'd threaten to throw a tree on his house or salt his yard. I've had some slow payers, but have always gotten paid.

brandy
03-15-2001, 10:30 PM
I have about 5000 in out standing from year 2000!!!

Chopper Lover
03-16-2001, 07:32 AM
Homer,

It has been 7 days since your original post. Time to update your troops! What's the status of this deadbeats acount?

Mark
Official Member of the "Homer's Deadbeat Hecklers Club"

HOMER
03-16-2001, 08:12 AM
I ran the check through my bank. I'm just waitin now for them to return it to me so I can RUSH to the DAs office with it. If they are lucky it might go through but I cant see how it would. I left their bank with it being no good and went scrate to mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With retaliation in mind.

DaveinVa
03-16-2001, 08:17 AM
Homer: Wanna double your money bud? That's right - I charge a $100 returned check fee. If you want I'll be happy to go after these deadbeats for you. I thrive on sucking blood out of turnips !!!! Last deadbeat who tried to whip my a** out of money was a mortgage lending company - and I managed to break the corporate veil - and ended up getting a judgment on a $250.00 bill they owed - and took his diamond ring (in lieu of cash), that his deceased mother had left him in her will. I sold it for $2350 - so I made a tad of a profit. Did I mention I thrive on sucking blood out of turnips?...
Dave

Chopper Lover
03-16-2001, 11:48 AM
Dave...

That is quite a talent you have acquired. When you figure out how to suck water out of rocks let me know... We can go into well drilling together and really make some $$$ !

Be Safe & Keep Sucking!
Mark

deinck
03-16-2001, 12:24 PM
Here's one with a different twist...a deadbeat partner! Ready??? Here goes...hold on to your mower seats!
My wife and I were seeking a "better way". Been farmin' all my life and wanted to try out a new approach. Having vacationed in Florida 4 years in a row, we decided to look into the purchase of a lawn service down there. We lived in Southwest Minnesota all our lives, so this was one giant leap (of faith) for us! We wanted someone to go with us and form a partnership and located that "perfect couple" in our church. We didn't know them real well, and thought that good, since one should never live with or probably work in partnership with their best friend! They very enthusiastically accepted our offer - they were tired of the upper midwest winters, too! I had my eye on one particular business down there and had talked with the guy and even flew down to meet him. When the partners-to-be went down, though, the owner called me and flatly refused to sell to me if we were going to have a partnership. He did NOT like these people! While down there, they had met another man with a lawn service for sale and they talked us into going with him. This couple and us met several times prior to going down there to be sure everything would work out. I knew I needed to come back up here in April to put in one final crop and take it out, have a farm sale, rent out the land, and rent out the acreage. They were just fine with this and even suggested I do this every year if it works out o.k. GREAT! Things were definitely looking up! We got down there and began our exciting journey. My wife got an excellent job as an Administrative Assistant to a very prominent attorney in Ft. Myers, and my partner's wife worked as an RN. The unbelievable then happened....the partners turned on us. They wanted FULL control of EVERYTHING. We started the business in December of 1998 and by February of 1999, things had deterioriated so severely, we didn't know what to do. Well - I came back up here, as planned, in April, but before I left, my partner screamed at me, called me every name in the book and said he wanted out. He said he'd buy us out, since we still had property back in Minnesota. We agreed. THEY drew up the agreement according to THEIR terms and we, wanting to get things settled, went along with it. They were to pay us the full amount due by December 31, 1999. My wife and I moved back to Minnesota in September 1999. We got a letter from the former partners on December 30th stating they could not make the payment. ($13,000.00). They proposed a new arrangement in their letter. It was not acceptable to us. We drew up an agreement, they would not sign it. Our church got involved in an attempt to get them to settle. One of the Deacons drew up an Agreement (worded exactly like the one we drew up) with the insertion of some scripture verses. They signed that one. They wouldn't sign the one we typed because WE typed it! Anyway, they were to make monthly payments of $300 for the duration of the agreement until paid in full, commencing March 2000. They made 3 payments and stopped. We waited 2 to 3 months with no word of any kind from them. We called one of the attorneys in the firm my wife worked for down there and he began legal proceedings to collect. Long story short - the former partners split up. She went to somewhere in California - he sold the contracts for $30,000 to another person in Lehigh, pocketed the money and skipped town. He left a trail of bad debt and LOTS of enemies behind. We figured to date he owes us $13,000; the original owner of the business $10,000; the guy he sold it to will lose about $26,000 because the partner lied to him about the contracts and as a result the purchaser will lose about $26,000 in business this year; a bank in Florida was left with about $10,000 - the partner bought 2 brand new mowers and didn't pay for them but sold them to the new purchaser as part of the deal. The new purchaser has gotten a letter from the bank stating the mowers have not been paid for and they want their mowers back - another loss for him! We figure he left about $50,000 behind. Turns out these people do this almost for a living. They have stiffed all kinds of people up here, filed bankruptcy twice in the past, and we found this out only after returning to Minnesota. Our attorney in Florida says there's nothing further we can do. We wanted the guy arrested for selling a business during a pending lawsuit. He told us the guy broke a contract but didn't commit a crime. Coming from Florida, I guess we shouldn't be surprised!!!! I think we'll check into this mad.com and see what they might be able to do. A lesson hard learned and will NEVER happen again. My wife and I are the only partnership we will ever have! Thanks, guys, for putting up with my lengthy story and letting me vent!
Dave Einck
Pro-Cut Lawn & Hydroseeding Service