PDA

View Full Version : Which is more professional looking?

angnak
08-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Getting a truck like this (http://www.chevrolet.com/mediumduty/kodiak/c7500/photogallery/) or this (http://www.chevrolet.com/mediumduty/wseries/w3500/photogallery/)
or maybe just a new truck, maybe f-250, with a nice covered trailer?

Thanks

MrFangs
08-07-2005, 03:06 PM
What type of business?

cgland
08-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I think that as long as your truck is nice looking and mechanically sound (not leaking fluids onto customers propertry), you will look professional. Now, to throw a wrench in there, I think it looks unprofessional when you have 2 trucks on a site that are different colors. Choose a color scheme and stick to it. People will start to recognize you by your truck colors.

Chris

Lawn Masters
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Really, I like the W3500 better. but if its mechanically sound, doesnt leak fluids all over the place, and goes, its professional enough for me. other than that, I dont know what to say.

Thirdpete
08-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I think that's over-doing it a bit for your standard lawn-maintenace. I would say, a 250 with a dump insert would be big enough if you're just cutting, or if cutting is most of your revenue.

TWUllc
08-07-2005, 05:52 PM
W3500 looks good, but the question would be if you really need it.

angnak
08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, it is for Lawn care right now, but I will be expanding into landscaping next year. Nothing to big yet. I agree with everything being the same color. I figured white trucks. I was worried about getting loads of dirt or whatever if I went with the w3500. I just figured I could get the all in one for a little less than a truck and trailer, i am just not to sure about the look of the all in one.

I just realized the links defaulted to the first trucks on there. I was interested in the cubes just in case no one picked up on that.

ProLawns
08-07-2005, 06:25 PM
I would feel really intrusive parking something with that big of a profile in the nice neighborhoods that I service lawns in. Commercial accounts wouldn't be a problem. For just mowing you really don't need that type of vehicle. I use a F150 and a twelve foot trailer to pull a Z and a WB. Anything more is overkill for a solo or a two man operation.

Shuter
08-07-2005, 06:30 PM
What ever fits your budget and gets the job done.

Master Po
08-07-2005, 06:51 PM
I certainly would not purchase one of these for just mowing. I tow a sixteen foot trailer with a Silverado and that is just right. If you plan on delivering a lot of rocks, straw, mulch, debris, or topsoil I would seriously look into the Stake C7500. Just for mowing it is a little too big a clunky to be driving around on tight neighborhood streets, especially if you plan on towing a trailer.

Ed Ryder
08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
As for me, I use a 1986 F-150 with a 6 cyclinder. It's beat up and has 220,000 miles on it. And I pull a 60 inch rider and a 54" walk behind. It has trouble going up hills in third gear. But it gets the job done! My customers don't care about how the truck looks. I'm one of the best grass cutters in the area and the quality of the workmanship, plus my great personality, is what matters :p

Gizmo_019
08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
justalawnguy - Those 300 6's will last forever. When I get my '70 F100 with a 300 alittle more road worthy I am going to start using it to tow the mowers. My '94 Chevy is my "pimp" truck, but right now it's pullin double duty, plus it isn't geared for pulling and it's lowered so it's not real fun with a trailer.

I would say whatever you can afford and suits your needs on the truck. IMO I would rather have a nice looking older truck than a newer one, less insurance and no payments :rolleyes:

Smalltimer1
08-08-2005, 12:58 AM
I certainly would not purchase one of these for just mowing. I tow a sixteen foot trailer with a Silverado and that is just right. If you plan on delivering a lot of rocks, straw, mulch, debris, or topsoil I would seriously look into the Stake C7500. Just for mowing it is a little too big a clunky to be driving around on tight neighborhood streets, especially if you plan on towing a trailer.

A 7500 is overkill--if it absolutely had to be a Chevy I wouldn't go any larger than a 5500. They are much more maneuverable than their larger counterparts as well as cheaper to run. Of course the 7500 has the Cat option though, something that I would consider a major selling point, especially if you are anti-Duramax but still want a Chevy.

But then you run into the issue of the DMV cops thinking you're overloaded with that big bulky body that the Kodiaks have (psychological thing). Something us Ford guys can get away with since Ford uses the same body for the F-250 through 550.

If you are looking for a professional looking truck that stands out--consider International's 4200 and 4300 trucks. They are cheaper than Ford and Chevy cab and chassis trucks and have the DT-466 option and look great.

My problem with a cabover is how close you are to the car in front of you. It seems to me that a person would have more serious injuries in a cabover rear end collision than say a conventional cab would in the event they rear ended the car in front of them. My other grief with a cabover is that they are prone to rusting earlier than a conventional truck does given all conditions are equal, which tells me that the cabovers would be unprofessional looking once it has body cancer.

Lawnworks
08-10-2005, 08:19 AM
If you want to look professional get a cabover w/ a landscape bed or box. They are not overkill and seperate you from every other startup company w/ a truck and trailer.

RedWingsDet
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
for mowing get a 250 with insert and enclosed trailer. for landscaping get the w series 4 door.

scagwildcat
08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
just my 2 cents. were im from, it doesnt matter what your truck looks like, althought im big into looks as i wasted all my money on new equipment and a new f-350 4x4 dump.. ive noticed that the people that have nice new trucks, are given a bad rap... people think you charge to much, atleast around here they do.. i was getting alot more work before i bought all this new stuff, i kept my prices the same after my purchase... for that reason, that didnt help... so just think about that , before you spend all your money for nothing!!!! and if you do feel that need for a big truck, think used, see how things go for a year, then get a brand new one... hope that helps you!!!!

Master Po
08-10-2005, 07:05 PM
You're right. After looking at the specs the 7500 is way too big. I do like the 4500, however, for debris removal or pine straw delivery.

gogetter
08-10-2005, 07:38 PM
It has NOTHING to do with how something looks, or whether it's "intrusive" or not in a neighborhood (HUH?!). The only thing that matters is what you NEED to get the job done. Period.

But just be sure to plan ahead. What you might be able to get by with this year, may not be enough next year.

DLCS
08-10-2005, 08:32 PM
It has NOTHING to do with how something looks, or whether it's "intrusive" or not in a neighborhood (HUH?!). The only thing that matters is what you NEED to get the job done. Period.

But just be sure to plan ahead. What you might be able to get by with this year, may not be enough next year.

What Gogetter said^.

Now a 1/2 ton pick-up can get the job done. But I would go no less than a 3/4 ton for mowing, 1/2 tons just can't take the abuse of pulling trailers day in and day out.

Mow"N"Bud
07-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Remember the commercial where the guy talks about all the nice stuff he has and then says he is in debt up to his eyeballs - somebody please help me. Remeber you have to pay for all that stuff to look good.

Scag48
07-30-2006, 06:09 AM
I wouldn't suggest buying a new work truck. A bit pointless unless you got a screaming deal that you couldn't pass up. Buy a slightly used truck (under 40K miles) that has some warranty left, save a bunch of money and the truck still looks good.

Tony Clifton
07-30-2006, 08:52 AM
The link doesn't work, what kind of truck is it that you are trying to decide between. We have a handful of different types of trucks so I may be abit of use.

jazak
07-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Lots of guys around here are starting to get cabovers with cube bodies and the put there equipment in there instead of haveing to pull around a trailer. It works good and can fit in tigher areas. I would go slightly used like SCAG48 said and if you want this truck I see them go for low $20s with 30K on them.