PDA

View Full Version : Aeration/Over Seed which method is best?

HydroRI
08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Thinking ahead to Fall and wondering which method would give me the best results. I am using the Plugr PL 800 for Aeration. I am not sure yet if I will have to go in two directions because the tines are 2.25" apart. This is my first year using this machine.

Some guys say drop your seed first then aerate over it, then fertilize. Others say aerate first wait a week for plugs to break down then throw down seed. Or how about aerate, seed, fertilize?

I am looking for some feedback on the best way to do this 3 step process. I do not own a slit seeder or want to rent one so that is not an option. I spent over $3,000 on this aerator and I want to get the most out of it.

Which aeration/over seed method works best for you guys? Anyone used the PL800?

The mayor
08-07-2005, 09:22 PM
First aerate,then I slit seed.With the pl800 you only have to aerate once. How did you pay $3000.00 for the plugr.

Drew Gemma
08-07-2005, 09:30 PM
seed last after aeration always

HydroRI
08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
How did you pay $3000.00 for the plugr.
I paid with a finance program. Is that what your asking?

TScapes
08-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Aerate first, seed (allowing seed to fall into plug holes) and then fert.

Going over twice does increase your plugs and allow for more penetration for the seeding, but may not be neccessary for each and every lawn. I would make that decision on a yard by yard comparison. And yes, a crossing or perpendicular pattern works well.

HydroRI
08-09-2005, 03:07 PM
seed last after aeration always

Why? What if I seed first then Aerate, what will the results be opposed to aerating first? Just curious

turfcobob
08-10-2005, 04:27 PM
You should aerate first then seed. The more holes the better. The holes make a very good location for new plants to start. I would suggest that you use a slit seeder of some kind or you will probably only get plants in the holes. that is real sparse seeding. Putting the seeds on top of thatch without cutting them in is a loosing situation.

Also I would go within a day or the same afternoon that you aerate the sooner you run the slitseeder over the cores the sooner they will breakup and help with the seeding. You could be a long time waiting for them to break up naturally.

TScapes
08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
You should aerate first then seed. The more holes the better. The holes make a very good location for new plants to start. I would suggest that you use a slit seeder of some kind or you will probably only get plants in the holes. that is real sparse seeding. Putting the seeds on top of thatch without cutting them in is a loosing situation.

Also I would go within a day or the same afternoon that you aerate the sooner you run the slitseeder over the cores the sooner they will breakup and help with the seeding. You could be a long time waiting for them to break up naturally.

Do you do this on EVERY lawn you sell an aeration to? That seems like a lot of work for less profit. Without knowing what you charge per 1000sq. ft., the way it goes around here is $38-45 per 1000sqft. That is the average in this market. Large commercials can sometimes come in as low as $25-28. For that price, your services include the following: Core-Aeration, Overseeding, and application of starter fertilizer.

Taking your scenario, you have to use 2 machines per yard, one (1) aerator and one (1) slit seeder, with the slit seeder being last. Then you make another "visit" to the property to run the slit seeder across it again. Something just isn't right there. First, you are waisting your time and hard earned money, not to mention gas, to make a second "courtesy=free" visit, when this should all be taken care of on the initial visit. Second, a "slit-seeding" and an "aeration" are two DIFFERENT services. The later is a basic service that pulls plugs out of the soil and allows water, air and seed to fall in and germinate. The first one (slit-seeding) is a "Premium" service that yeilds greater than 95% return and should be charged as such. Aeration usually results in 75-80% return.

Plus you are talking four (4) trips across the lawn with your scenario, one for each product (aerator, slitseeder, seeder and fertilizer)

Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to make a point. I think it's admirable that you want to provide all this stuff..... just make sure that you are getting paid for it ALL.