PDA

View Full Version : Tips on sharpening H.T.s

Paradise Yard Service
03-09-2001, 11:07 AM
My Echo long blade single side H.T. needs sharpenong. I was cuttin the podocarpis and it just pulled/shredded into the leaves! Looks horrible, and will take a month to grow out the brown shreds in the leaves. It will do just fine however,on hibiscus,panaks,etc..

What do you do for sharpening? Takes time to do each cutter and I have tried with marginal results.

Maybe go to the dealer and spread the money around. He did not take me out to lunch and he never gave much of a price break. I am sure I helped pay off his Audi however! Love this buis!

Mahalo!

P.Y.S.

GrassMaster
03-09-2001, 12:03 PM
Hello Everybody:

We use a 4 inch hand grinder, with 90 degree head, well I think most of them come that way.:-)

We did find some disk that was thinner than the others & it does a far better job.

Some of the biggest problems using these is people try to take off too much when grinding. All you need is take off a very little.

Also make sure the blades are adjusted properly, this counts for more bad cutting than them being dull. They are hard to learn how to adjust but once you get the hang of it you will be a lot better off.

HOMER
03-09-2001, 12:08 PM
I use a dremmel tool or flat bastard file. Yes, it takes a little time but it will save time in the long run, do it on a rainy day like we are having today.........makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you know your stuff is ready to go!

mowerman90
03-09-2001, 01:26 PM
Dremel tool works best for me.

mountainviewland
03-09-2001, 02:40 PM
I found an older craftsman grinder 1/2 horse. I just modified the tool rests to the same angle of the trimmer blades. It worked great! Better than the 50 bucks I spent at the shop.

Jerrys Lawn Service
03-09-2001, 09:28 PM
Listen to Homer & Mowerman, all we use to sharpen our Sthil
HS80's is a Dremmel tool,takes alittle time but works great!

Good Luck!
jerryslawnservice@home.com

Paradise Yard Service
03-10-2001, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the help. I was not sure how the rest of us deal with this problem. Since the trimmer works just fine on almost everything cept the Podocarpis my suspition is its out of adjustment. Will look into that. Got rain coming on Saturday and will get that fuzzy feelin I'm sure!

Mahalo!

P.Y.S.