PDA

View Full Version : Fall ad campaign for Fert. company

DiscoveryLawn
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
I did not want to pose this question in the elements of business forum because I really only want to hear from the fert guys.

I am looking for promotional ideas for a fall advertising campaign to boost my fall (new customer) sales. I would prefer not to push core aeration in this promotion. Our lawns are really taking a beating this year with chinch bug, bill bug and disease damage. As well as severe drought stress, high temps. and we are expecting heavy grub damage.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Enviro Green
08-08-2005, 10:29 PM
LOL

With all those problems, I'd push aeration and overseeding!

Sorry, but it's true,

EG

Ric
08-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Discovery

The Idea is to get them to call you. Once on the property and you have the customer attention you can up sell anything. You are the pro and they are not. So to sell the thing that is the major concern. WEEDS and GREEN

GOT WEEDS
NEED GREEN
Call 555 1212

NattyLawn
08-09-2005, 08:22 AM
In my area, the weeds are greener than the lawn right now :)

arborist-28
08-09-2005, 08:25 AM
my weeds, cough cough.. I mean lawns are hurting a bit too .. core aeration sells .. c

DUSTYCEDAR
08-09-2005, 08:28 AM
In my area, the weeds are greener than the lawn right now :)
more fert lol
mine r lookin good well most of them

NattyLawn
08-09-2005, 06:14 PM
The rain we got last night should help...Hopefully there's more on the way...

DUSTYCEDAR
08-10-2005, 09:51 AM
i hope we get more

Rtom45
08-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Can you guys down state send some rain up to the NW corner of PA? We're starting to look like a desert here, and the lake doesn't help!

DiscoveryLawn
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
I know aerations are going to be a big hit this year. The problem is there are companies in this area aerating for as low as $4.00 per 1000 sq. ft. many are around $6.00 per 1000. I can not compete with those prices. I aerate my existing customers but I no longer use it to attract new ones. Like Ric said, once I get in the door, I can sell them what they NEED, even at a higher price. The slice seeding market seems to still be Ok in that the prices have not been run into the ground. I may consider going that route. What I really WANT is new fertilization customers. I like the thought of keeping it simple (got weeds? need green?)

Thanks guys

David

Ric
08-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Guys

My market in warm season turf isn't interested in Aeration because of our sandy soil. I am not saying aeration is not beneficial to our sandy soil. Most turfs can not be seeded here, we do plug St Augustine and a power plugger makes it go fast.

I believe the Idea of advertisement is to get the customer to call you first no matter what the reason. Like I said before, once you are standing in front of the customer, the ball is in your court.

Since I am not familiar with Cool Season sales or desires of the customer, I may be missing the boat for Cool season sales. But I know the 2 major concerns of Florida home owners are WEEDS & ANTS. Therefore I have a phone number that ends in 2687 or ANTS. If I go back in business which I am thinking about doing I will advertise as stated above and capitalize on the Phone number as well. I believe catch phrases are key in advertising.

There are two main theory's in advertising. One is "the more you tell, the more you sell". And just the opposite of "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid). The more white Space in an ad, the more visible it can be and stick out in a sea of other print. I believe in the KISS theory for cost effectiveness. Sure TrueBrown and other large marketing firms flood the media with multiple ads that may be of the first theory. But that might be an other subject for an other thread. Most of us want more business. However we don't need more business than we can handle. Slow growth is easier the manage. Controlled growth I believe is the key. Speaking from experience, you can grow too big too fast. Stress can take it's toll.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-10-2005, 04:50 PM
i have customers cancleing services due to the cash flow thing
i am going to bet getting new 1's isnt going to be easy

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-10-2005, 05:09 PM
WOW !!!! 4 DOLLARS A THOUSAND SQ FT ? THEY GOTTA BE NUTS !! I HOPE THAT AINT INCLUDING AN OVERSEEDING !!! TRY THE OLD " IM NOT A BIG UNCARING FRANCHISE OR NATIONAL CORPORATE COMAPANY WITH 10,000 CUSTOMERS BUT ONLY 3 BARELY TRAINED FORMER MCDONALDS EMPLOYEES TO SERVICE THEM" LINE :rolleyes: . USE DOORHANGERS AND ADVERTISE IN MORE UPSCALE ADVERTISEMENTS.

turfsurfer
08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Discoverylawn, I feel your pain on the way Ohio lawns are looking. My Fall message to current customers as well as in my ad campaign will focus on the oppportunities that the Fall season offers for repairing damages done by the severe weather and insect damage inflicted this year. I plan on selling alot of aeration, overseeding, and fertilizer/weed control packages, and hope to attract a lot of new customers in the process.

philk17088
08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Aeration at $4 per m??????????
I don't stop for less than$100 and charge $20 per m . Who has time to aerate?

kootoomootoo
08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Maybe I just stepped out of a space ship but last time I checked customers are renting the exact same turfco/ryan lawnaire4/5 or whatever for $50-$60.
Plenty are renting for the weekend and splitting the cost between two or three households. Maybe its only in the educated areas they are doing this?

$20 per thousand ....like I or anybody who finished high school is going to pay $200 for an average 10,000 sq ft lawn....is that aerator gold plated..I hope it leaves gold nuggets behind. With 10 mins training I bet i can get a mcdonalds worker to aerate a house and leave the house as you would.

Turf Troll
08-16-2005, 11:00 PM
I am doing design for a door hanger price, for fert and weed then list additional services. Also money mailer two zones 20k homes. I mail out 10k postcards in the spring , this spring got 7 clients instead of usual 15 to 20 fert customers. It seems there is less new people to weed and feed and more dissatisfied clients from franchise companys.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Maybe I just stepped out of a space ship but last time I checked customers are renting the exact same turfco/ryan lawnaire4/5 or whatever for $50-$60.
Plenty are renting for the weekend and splitting the cost between two or three households. Maybe its only in the educated areas they are doing this?

$20 per thousand ....like I or anybody who finished high school is going to pay $200 for an average 10,000 sq ft lawn....is that aerator gold plated..I hope it leaves gold nuggets behind. With 10 mins training I bet i can get a mcdonalds worker to aerate a house and leave the house as you would.
ok so they rent it at 80 bucks a day here and some have to have it delivered for another 50 bucks so where at 130 bucks and it only cost 200 to have me do 10k
who do u think is going to spend there weekend breaking there back

garydale
08-18-2005, 09:58 AM
We mail postcards stressing "A great lawn next year starts this fall"

Aeration with overseeding works well and sells.

Best well control here (Maryland) is in October.

Stress fall fert. for growing deep roots for next summer.

Good luck,

Gary