PDA

View Full Version : Miles on Isuzu NPR

ToroLandscaper
08-08-2005, 04:24 AM
How many miles can you get out of a Isuzu NPR becouse seem like all of the used ones have 100-200thousand miles on them and i was wondering how many miles you can put on one before having to replace the engine or before major think go wrong also do you guys think that a 16 foot landscape bed is to big for a 175Hp turbo diesal motor.

Ric
08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
How many miles can you get out of a Isuzu NPR becouse seem like all of the used ones have 100-200thousand miles on them and i was wondering how many miles you can put on one before having to replace the engine or before major think go wrong also do you guys think that a 16 foot landscape bed is to big for a 175Hp turbo diesal motor.

Toro

I have several NPR and they all have 100,000 miles on them. I believe they can go 500,000 but it all depends on how they were maintained. I use the dealer for all Repairs and Maintenance. NPR are in fact true Commercial trucks and not designed for Yuppie want-a-bees. The average Garage Mechanic has no Idea of how to work on them. The dealer has Certified people who work on nothing but Isuzu. I have actual found the dealer to not only do it right, but to does it cheaper than the shade tree guys.

Engine size is a problem for me on the landscape dump dump. The lack of speed and MPG is my main gripe not power. The tranny is geared so low it has all the pulling power in the world. I am in 3rd gear before I hit 20 MPH and max speed at 63 MPH. But I am talking a 5 speed tranny not the newer 6 speed. My automatics which are spray trucks Drive like a car. But I have the older 135 HP models and the small engines work so hard I only get 12 MPH on all the NPR. Start pulling weight and The MPG drop real bad.

Weight: GVW and Total pulling GVW is also a problem for me with NPRs. Total towing GVW truck and trailer is only 18,000 gross. Therefore my empty NPR landscape dump weights 8,700 GVW. Add a 4,000 trailer with a 8,000 skid Steer and I am over weight. Do the same thing with a 1 ton American dually and you are over weight also. Pull a 20 ft Enclosed trailer full of equipment for general Landscape maintenance and you are fine even with the Dump bed full of Yard Debris. The Truck is very capable of holding a lot weight than it is rated for and I have over loaded with 5 yards of stone averaging between 10,000 and 12,500 lb with out any trouble.

I love the quick turning radius in tight area and find them great for everyday maintenance work. I See used NPR box trucks in the 100 to 150 mile range selling for $4,000 to 6,000 at dealer in Miami. I have had friends buy these and put the Box on the ground as storage and put either flat or dump beds on them. However Right now there are a lot of dump bed Trucks on the market here because they were purchased for hurricane clean up and are now for sale.

grassyfras
08-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Lawngodfather has 3 of them, they have between 130,000 and 160,000 on them when he bought them, so I would say they can go for a alot of miles. He also has a real nice Dodge Ram 4 door diesel he let me plow in over the winter.

Ric
08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Lawngodfather has 3 of them, they have between 130,000 and 160,000 on them when he bought them, so I would say they can go for a alot of miles. He also has a real nice Dodge Ram 4 door diesel he let me plow in over the winter.

Grassyfras

A friend in Cinti O tells me the Cab overs are excellent plow trucks. I guess I need to buy Plow for Mine and start plowing Snow here in Florida. Do you think I will make any Money?:D