PDA

View Full Version : Aeration/Over Seed which method is best?

HydroRI
08-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Thinking ahead to Fall and wondering which method would give me the best results. I am using the Plugr PL 800 for Aeration. I am not sure yet if I will have to go in two directions because the tines are 2.25" apart. This is my first year using this machine.

Some guys say drop your seed first then aerate over it, then fertilize. Others say aerate first wait a week for plugs to break down then throw down seed. Or how about aerate, seed, fertilize?

I am looking for some feedback on the best way to do this 3 step process. I do not own a slit seeder or want to rent one so that is not an option. I spent over $3,000 on this aerator and I want to get the most out of it.

Which aeration/over seed method works best for you guys? Anyone used the PL800?

ProLawns
08-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Cut the grass shorter than normal. The shorter the better. Dethatch if needed. Aerate, seed, starter fert. and lime if needed one right after the other. Keep moist for two weeks and it will germinate.

ProLawns
08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I am not sure yet if I will have to go in two directions because the tines are 2.25" apart.
Also, with tines that close together one pass should be sufficient unless you have really hard ground.

HydroRI
08-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Has anyone ever used a drag mat after aerating, but before or after dropping seed? Will this improve seed to soil contact?

GREENITUP
08-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Hydro, Put your seed down first, aerate, and then put your starter fert down. This way your seed gets better contact with the soil and any slow release coating on your prills won't get damaged by the spoons. You will have plenty of plugs from the 800 in one pass. Good luck.

HydroRI
08-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I am hearing seed first then aerate, and some say always aerate first then seed.

What are the pros and cons? Will the seed get damaged if you aerate over it??

TOMMY1115
08-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Seed won't get damaged. I've always aerated and then seeded and had good success.

After "PROPER" watering, the seed will work it's way down to the soil anyway, assuming you have a thin thatch layer.

sheshovel
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
See I'm the opposite,I throw down my starter fert 1st then ,aerate ,seed ,cover with topper or whatever you use and then water it in good

lawn king
08-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Cross aerate, then seed. The more seed to soil contact, the better results you will attain.

The mayor
08-14-2005, 02:59 PM
With the pl800 you will not have to cross aerate. It pulls more plugs than you could ever imagine.

lilmarvin4064
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I have always thrown seed after aerating with no problems, then apply the fert, but really I don't think it matters which way you do it. If I slice seed a lawn, I've throw some seed down first, slice-seed, then throw some more seed. For those that want to go all the way, I will aerate, then lime, then throw some seed, then slice seed, throw some more seed, then fert.

Normally, a good rain helps to wash the seed into the aeration holes.

I've heard of guys that will aerate a lawn and apply starter fert, then go back in 2 weeks to aearate again and apply the seed, but if it were me, I wouldn't like to have to make 2 trips.

turfsurfer
08-15-2005, 08:43 PM
The only think I don't like about seeding after aeration is the way the spreader tires get huge with the plug soil that gets picked up as I broadcast the seed, but I have always aerated first. Be advised though, if you're talking about large bare areas, I think the better way to go is slit seeding.