PDA

View Full Version : Scag belt drives in wet weather

DBM
03-09-2001, 03:05 PM
It's my first year and I'm shopping around for equipment. I've the opportunity to purchase a 36" Scag belt-drive for a good price but I'm concerned about using it in the wet weather. It can get really wet here in the spring.
What do you think? I'm trying to purchase a quality machine as cheaply as possible (for gated yards). Will this meet my needs? Does anybody else use this machine in the Pacific NorthWest

Doug

kutnkru
03-09-2001, 03:30 PM
More often than not those of us who entered this profession did so with a 36in. belt drive, and Sears/Monkey Wards/Home Depot/Lowes hand-held equipment.

It was not until we actually acquired some bank roll that we were able to update to better built and more efficient equipment.

I worked for a guy before I bought out his business and we used a 36in./JD and a 36in./Kawasaki both belt driven. I think that if you gear down during the wettest mowing conditions that you will be able to get production rolling so that you can upgrade to hydros of some sort later on, be it Z-Rider/Stander/Walk-Behind.

I would say that if you think its a good deal and will last you the season, go for it!!

Good Luck this season!
Kris

Green Finger
03-09-2001, 03:39 PM
Scag as new feature on their 48inch wb. It is a belt adjustor for slippery conditions. When you go to your dealer inquire about that feature. You might get the best of both worlds. Larger mower and the adjuster for wet conditions.

Cub cadet has it also.

Chopper Lover
03-09-2001, 05:48 PM
Doug,

I agree with Kris...

Almost everyone that started had just the basics. As for running belts when they are wet I want you to think about this... What did everyone in the business do BEFORE there were Hydro's??? They ran belt drives.

If it is a good deal, and most importantly makes you happy, BUY IT!

Good Luck!
Mark

BigEd
03-09-2001, 06:22 PM
If you think its a good deal grab it.If its that wet out you shouldnt be cutting anyway,especially residential.

DBM
03-10-2001, 01:48 AM
Thanks folks,

Everyone has been a big help. Hopefully I get a couple of jobs I bid on this week so I can pay for it outright. It's not quite mowing season here yet so I've been relying on the odd early season stuff to acquire capital. I can get this machine with low hours (under 100) for less than half of the retail price so I am hesitant to pass it up.

Doug

edward hedrick
03-18-2001, 09:56 PM
I solved the problem of wet weather.I own a 52 Lesco belt
I scrapped the pistolgrips and installed a toro T bar. I
had a 48 scag before with a T bar. No problaem in wet weather. the set cost about 200, save your money buy the belt drive its easier to fix.

geogunn
03-19-2001, 08:12 AM
I run the lesco 48 belt and have had no complaints about belt slippage in wet weather. in fact, the first couple of cuts in the dewey mornings, the machine pulls better than it does the rest of the day!

GEO