PDA

View Full Version : carlisle tires and blowouts

scottishmaximus
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Do a search. Carlisle tires suck. I have had numerous blowouts with them, radials and biased. I have had my trailer weighed and had tires with the capacity put on. A few trips later a blowout. Replaced it and the other one blew out. Just had a flat on another trailer due to a puncture and the brand new spare has flat spots in the middle of the tread. Just thought i would warn others of them. Anyone else feel the same?

65hoss
08-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone else feel the same?
Nope, I sure don't. I've had Carlile tires on my big trailer for 10 yrs now. They last and wear very good. They also handle the major weight I sometimes put on them.

lawnmaniac883
08-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Maybe whomever your buying from got a bad batch?

jim dailey
08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Do a search. Carlisle tires suck. I have had numerous blowouts with them, radials and biased. I have had my trailer weighed and had tires with the capacity put on. A few trips later a blowout. Replaced it and the other one blew out. Just had a flat on another trailer due to a puncture and the brand new spare has flat spots in the middle of the tread. Just thought i would warn others of them. Anyone else feel the same?

I don't know about this one. Carlisle tires are one of the best. We have 2 variables in this situation: the tires and the trailer. I have had nothing but good luck with these tires. Maybe it is time to take a good luck at the axles and suspension on your trailer. Road hazards such as nails and screws and glass are NO fault of the tires themselves. Blow-outs could sometimes be blamed on the suspension and alignment of the trailer involved. Spend some time with the trailer, using a tape measure and a level. Maybe you will find something that is out of whack.

Tvov
08-09-2005, 07:14 PM
On the OpenRoads forum (Rving), there are tons of posts about problems with Carlisle trailer tires. I've never used them, so I can't tell anything from my own experience.

DLCS
08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
I've had carlise tires on all 3 of my trailers, never had any problems.

specialtylc
08-09-2005, 09:32 PM
I have never had a blowout on my trailers and we run Carlisle tires . I have had plenty of flats , but thats no fault of the tires. If you are actually having blowouts its likely you are overloading the tires or under inflating. Or you are getting a flat and just dragging the trailer until the tire shreds.

scottishmaximus
08-12-2005, 01:42 AM
I don't think it's a pressure or weight issue. As i said, I scaled the trailer and took the slip to the tire dealer. He picked the tires and filled them to the max pressure, i double checked them. Hardly any miles or time later, a tire blows out on the highway. Get it replaced and then the other one blows out. I then had both tires replaced with another model. The axle was checked to make sure it is true. I think it is the tires. I just had a flat on a different tire. Got out the spare which is less than a year old and has been stored inside. It has flat spots in the middle of the tread. I'm just not impressed.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/cforum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14972098.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/12895407.cfm

http://ridingarizona.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13486

toddnks
08-12-2005, 09:09 AM
I don't think it's a pressure or weight issue.

I think it is more related to the load and spring return rate combined. I am one of the folks on rv.net that has had some issues. 2 sets of tires later, I am running a different brand and my issue has appearently gone away.

Also I have a friend which works for carlilse and he pointed out that the carlilse tires are only designed for 4k per year. If you travel like I do then you are getting considerably more than 4k which causes failure.

This is not true across the whole line, just on what axel companies purchase for trailer building. There are better tires available from carlilse it just that many times the trailer builder puts on the "cheapest" tire to get the job done, it just cant do it for ever.

Todd

Tvov
08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Also I have a friend which works for carlilse and he pointed out that the carlilse tires are only designed for 4k per year.

???? How do they figure longevity? That doesn't really make sense. So if I only put 4k per year on, they will last 10 years? 20 years? As far as I am aware, most tires' life is figured in mileage, 30k, 40k, etc. And I've heard that most tire manufacturers have put on average a 5 year time limit on most tires.

Don't know for certain, just going by what I've heard.

UNISCAPER
08-12-2005, 05:11 PM
We recently were comming down the freeway when a Carlisle tire separated from it's casing. The tread wrapped around the fender and tore it completely out of the side of our Wells Cargo trailer, and the rim by the time I slowed down was ground flat. The tire was replaced free, but the rims and fender I had to fix. I love my Wells trailer, but in the construction, they do not make the fenders detatchable, they are integrated to the ribbing that holds the aluminum sides...i had to remove the sides and weld a frame of 1x2x3/16" tubing, then weld the fender to the top of the cross brace I made. Major PIA but it is better than new now.

I tried to get some E rated tires for the same application and they won't fit in the fender well space. So, Carlisles are about all I can find..I agree, they could make better tires for sure.