PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing New Sod

Pulpit46227
08-10-2005, 11:39 AM
What's the general rule of thumb on this?

How longer after it has been laid, what application, etc?

arborist-28
08-10-2005, 11:49 AM
I've seen where some people fertilize the ground before laying the sod.. I would be careful doing this though it's been known to burn .. I've also worked for company's that throw the fertto it right after it is laid .. I personally wait about a week by doin so it helps prevent shock...c

Rtom45
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Our specifications require contractor to add amendments, including fertilizer, to soil before installing sod. This has always worked well for us.

Ric
08-10-2005, 01:09 PM
:D

I have always found liquid fert foliar applied to be the best for new installs. I like a high P & K for root development. I try and stay away from over application, so I don't burn the new turf.

Runner
08-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes. WATCH yuo NITROGEN! Especially with this heat. Go as low as you can, and not at full rate. Actually, if you went with a straight sulphate of potash right now, it wouldn't hurt you, but it would be nice to find a combo with a lower N and a higher K.

ThreeWide
08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
If you really want to know the right answer.....do a soil test before installing the sod.

Then you will know exactly what to apply.

southernsprayguy
08-11-2005, 10:24 PM
What's the general rule of thumb on this?

How longer after it has been laid, what application, etc?

Wait until the sod has become established before you start making your fert/weed control applications.

pkresovich
08-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Try some Milorganite 6-2-0, it is an organic fert with very low burn potential.
That is what we did when I worked at Camden Yards and it worked for us.

ThreeWide
08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
I go back to the soil test thing again because it is important.

If you test and find low Phosphorous, then it would be necessary to apply MAP/DAP at the time of installation. Prior would be even better. If your Phosphorous levels are good, then you can wait and apply Nitrogen after the sod has rooted.

If a soil test cannot be done, the best option is just to apply a starter fert (18-24-12) either prior to or at the time of installation. At 1 lb N/M, burn is not a concern.

timturf
08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
yes, do a soil test!

Whenever buying sod, you need to ask the grower the last time he fert, what he used, what rate/m, what % controlled slow release n.

When you fert will depend on info from grower, soil test, what nutrients applied in preping the soil, and your particular micro climate

RedEarthLab
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Without a soil test go with 10lb (50% slow release nitrogen) 10-20-10 per 1000 ft2. It should be mix into the top soil before sod and watered in good. If sod is already down it can be applied over it but spit the application, 5 lbs/1000 ft2 now and again in a month, and water in good.

hole in one lco
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
starter fert on the ground before sod

Ric
08-12-2005, 10:52 PM
:D

I have always found liquid fert foliar applied to be the best for new installs. I like a high P & K for root development. I try and stay away from over application, so I don't burn the new turf.

Fellows

Soil tests and fert in the ground are all great BUT. I will stand on my 1st post. Fresh sod has not made root contact with the soil. Most sod farms will time fertilization to the projected harvest. Therefore the sod is ready for some more food. If the roots haven't fully reached the soil a light foliar feeding is the only way to feed it. Plants are like us they like to eat offend but lightly.