PDA

View Full Version : Permanent awning up north

Fishboat
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure this is the right board for this, but it seems to fit better than most.

I'm considering having a permanent awning installed over a wooden deck (about 14 x 23). I've seen the various extendable awnings (sunsetter types), but I'd rather have a more commercial type awning that can stay up regardless of the weather. Is this done on residential homes? Can they stay up over the winter (we do get snow here...Wisconsin) or does the fabric/vinyl have to be taken down until spring?

I know it may be a strange question, but I've seen outdoor restaurants with nice awnings over the eating areas and I would think they would be a better investment in a home awning than the light weight convertible-sunsetter types.

jim dailey
08-10-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure this is the right board for this, but it seems to fit better than most.

I'm considering having a permanent awning installed over a wooden deck (about 14 x 23). I've seen the various extendable awnings (sunsetter types), but I'd rather have a more commercial type awning that can stay up regardless of the weather. Is this done on residential homes? Can they stay up over the winter (we do get snow here...Wisconsin) or does the fabric/vinyl have to be taken down until spring?

I know it may be a strange question, but I've seen outdoor restaurants with nice awnings over the eating areas and I would think they would be a better investment in a home awning than the light weight convertible-sunsetter types.

OK, I am over here in the NorthEast section of the country. I know of the awnings you are speaking of. I have the Sunsetter at the house. We roll it up for the winter, and go South. The tubular ones with the fabric are common around here, also. A lot of the restaurants and businesses around here have them. They take the cover off for the winter. Some leave the framework up, and some take it down for the winter. Why don't you erect it, and take the cover in for the bad weather...then you don't have to worry. Just a thought.