PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick help please!!

ALarsh
08-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Ok... I took the toro out this morning and it wasn't cutting well with the Gator Notched High Lifts I have on it. So I pulled those off and put on a new set of OEM's (notched high lift) and they cut better, but not as good as it should be. I took them off and took them down stairs to sharpen them. I come back up, put them on and there is no difference in cut. It just isn't giving it a good clean cut and it is missing unacceptably large amounts of grass. It is pushing the grass down and not sucking it up to cut it (i think!). Yes, the blades are on the right way. The only thing I didn't do was balance the blades (dont have a balancer, I haven't had these problems with the original set of blades) What should I check/do? Thanks

I tried to take some pics...

ALarsh
08-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Another.........

ALarsh
08-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Its kinda hard to see in this pic.

btw- the deck is scraped clean.

John Gamba
08-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Your blade speed or deck pitch.
John

TOMMY1115
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
A few things to check. Not too familiar with the Toro so some of this might not be applicable.
Air cleaner, make sure it's clean.
Spark plugs, maek sure both (if there are 2) are sparking
Check the RPM's to make sure they are where they should be.
Double check to see if your spacers for the blades are all the same
Tire pressure equal on the back tires
Tire pressure equal on the front tires
1/4" drop from back of blade to front.
Belts tight

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Did You Check For Play In The Spindles. Also How Old Is The Blade Belt? It Could Be Stretched Or Worn Out And Slipping. Are The Anti Scalp Rollers In The Front Too Low And Pushing The Grass Down ?

ALarsh
08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
John, I went and measured the deck rake. It is at 1/4 if you measure from the front blade tip to the rear blade tip.

Showcase--- I didn't think of that. I did lower the antiscalp rollers to prevent scalping (duh). I will move them back and try it out.

Thanks for the help

John Gamba
08-10-2005, 05:19 PM
John, I went and measured the deck rake. It is at 1/4 if you measure from the front blade tip to the rear blade tip.

Showcase--- I didn't think of that. I did lower the antiscalp rollers to prevent scalping (duh). I will move them back and try it out.

Thanks for the help

When the ultracuts leave a strip between the trim blade and the middle blade its usually the blade speed has dropped.

John

ALarsh
08-10-2005, 05:20 PM
A few things to check. Not too familiar with the Toro so some of this might not be applicable.
Air cleaner, make sure it's clean.
Spark plugs, maek sure both (if there are 2) are sparking
Check the RPM's to make sure they are where they should be.
Double check to see if your spacers for the blades are all the same
Tire pressure equal on the back tires
Tire pressure equal on the front tires
1/4" drop from back of blade to front.
Belts tight

Air cleaners clean
spark plugs good
RPM sounds correct
Washers on blades are all the same
Tire pressure has been checked
Checked the deck rake and it is at 1/4" and the belts are tight.

Thanks

6'7 330
08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Air cleaners clean
RPM sounds correct

Forget about sounds,did you check the rpm's with a tach?How many hours are the blades?

ALarsh
08-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I didn't check the RPM's with a tach. 2 hours on the blades.

I raised the anti scalp rollers back to the position I got it in. It seemed to help... I don't really have any grass I can test it out on now but I will tomorrow.

TClawn
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
you made sure that the deck belt is ok? is it routed properly? if it is loose, check the tensioner pully, it could have not been greased under no load, and siezed.
check the clutch, in case it is slipping. (shouldn't happen this soon).

I agree with John, I think it is a blade tip speed issue.

LightningLawns
08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
keep us updated alarsh, i'm having a similar problem too and cant figure it out thanks

LandscapeSolutions
08-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Always stick with OEM blades. I have an exmark I bought new gator blades for and installed them. The mower cut fescue horribilly! I took em off and put the original blades back on and sure enough the manicured cut was back!

Have you made sure you sharpened the blades correctly?

ALarsh
08-11-2005, 11:55 PM
It rained for the whole day today so I didn't really get much cutting in. I got one lawn done it did pretty well after raising the anti-scalp rollers. All of my Thursday lawns are going to be done tomorrow because of the rain.

LightningLawns
08-12-2005, 05:47 PM
you think it was the anti scalp wheels?

ALarsh
08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Yup, it was. The anti scalp wheels were raising the deck up, not allowing it to cut properly. I raised the anti scalp wheels and cut today... it cut great.

startupman
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Rpm's are the key to blade tip speed. If Exmark is designing under ANSI standards, on paper(thru calculations) the btp cannot turn above 19K ftm. If the rpm's are within tolerance, check for belt slippage, i believe they use a mule drive. If you send me the pulley diameters, rpm's high and low,also the deck driven pulley pulley and the size of blade, i will tell you what the manufacturer will not.....Also, from test and calculations, you cannot cut grass evenly driving 9 miles an hour. Forget it.