PDA

View Full Version : Best way to keep tall, wet grass off driveways/sidewalks

Mr. Magpie
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
What is the best way to keep tall, wet St. Augustine grass off walls, sidewalks, pools, walkways and driveways on small, crowded residential lawns? Assume it is impossible to mulch except for small, quick areas. This includes mowing, weedwacking, everything. You may assume a one or two man crew. When we deploy the blowers, we want to have about the same time as if everything was dry.

We have a 36" ZTR.

mcwlandscaping
08-10-2005, 04:08 PM
NO expert at all but you could do a header strip around the whole area to be mowed first then turn around on this instead of on the walk or driveway. Just a thought, my 2 cents.

John Gamba
08-10-2005, 04:15 PM
What is the best way to keep tall, wet St. Augustine grass off walls, sidewalks, pools, walkways and driveways on small, crowded residential lawns? Assume it is impossible to mulch except for small, quick areas. This includes mowing, weedwacking, everything. You may assume a one or two man crew. When we deploy the blowers, we want to have about the same time as if everything was dry.

We have a 36" ZTR.

Meg-mos OCDC

wojo23323
08-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Bag the grass.

ed2hess
08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't understand why you don't mulch especially since you are doing small yards. We do this every day for many many years with little problems.

Mr. Magpie
08-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Not enough power to mulch because the grass is too tall and wet. We got a 36"/16HP Honda. It bogs down in discharge mode..... mulching would probably stop it in its tracks, especially with about 30% of the deck volume wasted to wet grass accumulation under the deck (I'm waiting for some spray to come in the mail to coat the deck).

How do meg-mo's apply here? Do they come with a miracle b/c everybody has been saying they do this and that.....

What is a "header strip" and why would I want to "turn around on it"?

Our ideas: For 2+ crew, one holds a piece of plywood up to guard problem areas..... also, use a blower to guard. Also, bring a portable "wall" made of whatever and set the thing up along the problem areas and have it at. What do you all think?

Mr. Magpie
08-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Sorry, but I want to hear all your ideas and solutions.

MMLawn
08-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Our ideas: For 2+ crew, one holds a piece of plywood up to guard problem areas..... also, use a blower to guard. Also, bring a portable "wall" made of whatever and set the thing up along the problem areas and have it at. What do you all think?

This part IS a Joke right? :dizzy:

ALL you need is to spend $200 bucks for a OCDC...problem gone..

or bag....and if a 16HP engine on just a little 36" deck won't mulch and bogs down you've got more problems than some wet grass on concrete cause that motor should mulch with no problem.

grassman5
08-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't understand why you don't mulch especially since you are doing small yards. We do this every day for many many years with little problems.

Off topic but I checked out your website. Very nice and the photo gallery really makes the website very personal. I spotted your picture in the equipment area and I think also your sons. You have some very reasonable prices.

Twigs
08-10-2005, 08:54 PM
qwikchute.com

Mr. Magpie
08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
This part IS a Joke right? :dizzy:

ALL you need is to spend $200 bucks for a OCDC...problem gone..

or bag....and if a 16HP engine on just a little 36" deck won't mulch and bogs down you've got more problems than some wet grass on concrete cause that motor should mulch with no problem.
Hey, remember, they're still only ideas! But, we are planning on the employing the plywood idea next rain, I will let you know how it works out!

So, remind me what an OCDC is? I'll do a search here for it....

Maybe you are not realizing the timultuous grass down here in S. Fla? Trust me, 2 weeks growth on healthy lawn soaking wet at 8 mph, or even 4 or 3...... forget about it. BUT, if I can get that grass to not accumulate under the deck..... maybe I'll be back in business, maybe. Remember, in the rain, you gotta mow circles, which means you are mowing the already cut grass as well as the lawn..... tough even for my v-twin.

Mr. Magpie
08-10-2005, 09:21 PM
qwikchute.com
Isn't that qwikcute a mulcher? Like I said, I can't mulch, not a high enough deck-space to power ratio.

In the winter, none of this is a real problem.

MMLawn
08-10-2005, 09:31 PM
OCDC

Operator Controled Discharge Chute

as far so the grass on the bottom of the deck....don't wait for some fancy spray....regualr old PAM works great and does the same thing

twindiddy
08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
some ideas:

1. watch the chute
2. broom
3. water hose, if it's quickly accessible

if they're small lawns, i would seriously consider the broom. i'm sure most would disagree, but it would take me longer to start the blower than to sweep it off.

green acres lawns
08-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I think you should bag it. Walkers ghs works great in those conditions. Use a stick edger first around the edges of the pavement, run the walker over the turf areas picking up all the clipping and debris, use the trimmer for any touch needed and there will be very little left to blow off. I bought a used walker for 5000.00 in 1998 with 700 hours on it. It now has almost 2000 hrs on it, but I only use it where I can't mulch or side discharge.

topsites
08-11-2005, 12:19 AM

We have a 36" ZTR.

Well it depends HOW small a yard but mine are 8k-40k (1/4 acre UP to an acre but not over, I'd say most 1/4 to 1/2 or so).
Here's what I do with my T-bar toros:
Run TWO or THREE full perimeter circles around the entire yard with the discharge facing IN, then turn the WB around and run the rest with the discharge facing OUT - blam: clippings spread evenly, nothing on paved surfaces.

With the trimmer, angle of attack is key, remembering the head turns counter-clock, I find angling the left end DOWN and aiming the debris towards (but not AT) me keeps it off the paved surfaces as well.

Last but not least: 1000 yards cut - Practice makes perfect, one yard and one day at a time.

topsites
08-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Come to think of it - DO the SAME thing you do to keep grass off mulch beds :)

Couple more tricks to save on blower time:

With the wb, run up one side of the driveway and then down the other with the discharge facing the turf - The air from the blades clears anything but heavy stuff. You run next to center of drive... With my 48", the 4-foot path clears the driveway in 2 passes, one back and one forth. You might be able to do it with a smaller wb, especially if you cut carefully to begin with so as not to spread the clippings too far INTO the drive.

Speaking of which, you'll need to make 3-4 perimeter circles instead of 2-3 because 48 vs. 36 ...

With the trimmer, walk down walkways just skimming the head down the center at WOT - Again the air from the line clears things up.

There is a fair percent of time by doing it right, I never pull the blower off the truck because the yard is clean, but this took a few years, heh.

The way I learned how to clear grass without the blower is the day I forgot to bring the blower and I caught an attitude, I finished the day using the weed-eater to clear the debris AND made sure not to dump a bunch of crap out there in the 1st place.