PDA

View Full Version : 180s on walk behind

liquidforcedude7
08-10-2005, 07:12 PM
How when you are making a 180 on a walk behind do you not tear up the grass. The one time I used a ZTR I turned then backed up a little then went foward again but with a walk behind You would have to put it in reverse then back in gear which would waste a lot of time but how do you make a turn for the next stripe without tearing up the grass?

exmark72
08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
on w\b's there is usually nuetral spot right after belt loses grip but right before the brakes engage. find that spot then when mowing at the end of the pass turn towards next strip stop go to that spot when pull the machine back and go. best way for me.

mcwlandscaping
08-10-2005, 07:42 PM
As i am turning i make sure that the inside wheel is still spinning a little bit. I do this by not holding the brake on that side down all the way. After watching for awhile, you will get the feel for it so you won't have to look. So esentually what exmark72 said!

all ferris
08-10-2005, 07:49 PM
just buy a hydro unit

John Gamba
08-10-2005, 08:40 PM
just buy a hydro unit

I'll secound that :D

ToroLandscaper
08-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I would guess you havent ever used a hydro.....they make life alot easier lol mcwlandscaping do you have any experience with any other mower than one like yours? Esepcially a hydro.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I'll secound that :D
third :D

gogetter
08-10-2005, 08:50 PM
As mcw said, just don't lock up the inside wheel, find the neutral, and give a little pull back on the inside handle. It's like a short 3 point turn, or "k" turn as some people call it.
Once you learn it, it's second nature, and no more divots.

Sure a hydro is better, just twice as expensive!

Mark McC
08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Not to mention more maneuverable and a tad quicker. It also induces a lot less operator fatigue.

i_plant_art
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
fourth!!!!!

gorknoids
08-11-2005, 12:57 AM
at least 1.5X the width of the deck, then you'll have room to cut back the other way (like a hammerhead turn in aviation) and wind up right on track for a return pass. You have to cut the area in first, of course, and the average WB needs 3 passes cutting in.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-11-2005, 01:10 AM
at least 1.5X the width of the deck, then you'll have room to cut back the other way (like a hammerhead turn in aviation) and wind up right on track for a return pass. You have to cut the area in first, of course, and the average WB needs 3 passes cutting in.
Well, I only bump it over about half the width and then grab a handful of brake and HANG ON! :cool2:

topsites
08-11-2005, 01:15 AM
As mcw said, just don't lock up the inside wheel, find the neutral, and give a little pull back on the inside handle. It's like a short 3 point turn, or "k" turn as some people call it.
Once you learn it, it's second nature, and no more divots.

Yeah no kidding on the price... I use the T-bar so the pivot-turn is not my style thou the few times I DO pivot, I do the 'rolling' turn where you don't fully stop the inner wheel ... Why does EVERYBODY buy those damn pistol-grips?

gogetter
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Not to mention more maneuverable and a tad quicker. It also induces a lot less operator fatigue.

No argument from me! Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for a hydro over a belt drive. I happen to use one of each. But for certain situations (a start up business with a tight budget for example, or for a helper to use in the occasional small backyards, etc..), a belt is a great inexpensive way to go.

Me, I prefer to stand on my sulky behind my hydro though!!

Mark McC
08-11-2005, 08:45 PM
But for certain situations (a start up business with a tight budget for example, or for a helper to use in the occasional small backyards, etc..), a belt is a great inexpensive way to go.
Won't argue with that. A belt drive is not that tiring for those of us in their twenties...which I haven't been for some time. :rolleyes:

nobagger
08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
just buy a hydro unit
Dido!!!! I will never ever buy a belt driven mower AGAIN!!!! My 36" Exmark Metro HP cuts awesome but it is a pita at times. To try to help with the question, I make 2 passes around the entire mowing area then that gives me room to take a wider turn and hit the next pass without turning too tight and tearing up the grass. Hope this helps. :waving:

sodgod
08-11-2005, 10:19 PM
ussually at the last second turn the opposite way a lil bit then make my turn that way its a lil bigger turning radius but you never see it when stripping. I also go around the lot 2 times so i have enought room. Also if i have to turn real sharp the lever i squeeze to turn i let up on the oppsite one and sqeeze the other in quick small motions. this way it turns sharp but lets the wheel move a lil bit between squeezes. tip of the day by kevin.