PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to dry up muddy soil?

pajohn
08-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I dug a pond this weekend and much of the soil that I dug out was very wet. We spread it around as best we could with the bucket of the trackhoe but it's much too wet to grade. What makes it worse is that the area doesn't get much sun. Other than waiting for months, is there something I could put down that would speed up the drying process so I can grade and seed it?

cgland
08-10-2005, 06:35 PM
You can try lime. It sucks up the moisture pretty well.

Chris

Green-Pro
08-10-2005, 08:06 PM
for small enough areas I've used peat

start2finish
08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Try looking into "AXIS" it can be incorporated into the soil, this method is labor intensive, but will absorb moisture. Check with your local supplier. This is a soil ammendment that will release moisture and retain moisture. At a predefined rate that is consistent. He will probably have the greatest grass in the yard over this area. :cool2:

Another option is to haul the mud away and haul in dry dirt. This could be costly, but if the customer wants to wrap up you can knock it out quick.

hole in one lco
08-10-2005, 09:14 PM
go down to your local ball park and ask them where they get there quick dry for the ball fields at . it works very good and fast.

olderthandirt
08-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I dug a pond this weekend and much of the soil that I dug out was very wet. We spread it around as best we could with the bucket of the trackhoe but it's much too wet to grade. What makes it worse is that the area doesn't get much sun. Other than waiting for months, is there something I could put down that would speed up the drying process so I can grade and seed it?
There are the hydro gels that will absorb moisture BUT they are expensive, other wise I think you might be stuck with just letting it dry. the thinner you spread it the faster it will dry. I have some mud stacked in a shady place from cleaning a pond 8 yrs age and when you dig down in it only the top 1 to 1-1/2 ft are dry the other 4-5 ft is still real wet

shortgut
08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
IF you have coal powered plant of any kind they should have caol ash which is called flyash it is a very fine powder it works great but you may have to have them haul it to you in in a pnmatic tanker because it is so fine they can actually blow it in the pond for you under really low pressure or they can do a bottom drop out the bottom of the trler which most of them have three pods 1 pod at a time and wind row it that is if the trler is equiped with bottom drop hatches some do and some do not Good luck if you do use this method becareful of the dust as air quaility control might be in the area .
let me know how it works

start2finish
08-10-2005, 10:22 PM
how many yards of dirt we talking about???

pajohn
08-10-2005, 11:15 PM
how many yards of dirt we talking about???
It's now spread about a foot thick over an area about 20ft by 20ft.

I thought about that baseball field quick dry stuff. Haven't figured out where to get it yet. Will a lawn grow ok with it mixed into the soil?

I'll check in to this AXIS stuff as well.

Thanks all

leadarrows
08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Drywall. Drywall is Gypsum. There are several companies using it now to dry up construction sites so they can get on the job sooner. Find an area where there are new homes being built and see if you can get a drywalls company clean-up crew to throw the trash in a dumpster and leave the drywall for you. They have to pay 30 to forty a ton around here to dump it and most would be more than willing to work with you.

"Gypsum Makes Slightly Wet Soils Easier to Till - Soils that have been treated with gypsum have a wider range of soil moisture levels where it is safe to till without danger of compaction or deflocculation."

http://www.agri-inject.com/info_gypsum.htm

leadarrows
08-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Beginning in 2006 I will be selling pulverized drywall for 12 dollars a ton.

out4now
08-11-2005, 12:06 AM
It's now spread about a foot thick over an area about 20ft by 20ft.

I thought about that baseball field quick dry stuff. Haven't figured out where to get it yet. Will a lawn grow ok with it mixed into the soil?

I'll check in to this AXIS stuff as well.

Thanks all
You mean Turface? http://www.turface.com/productinfo_turface.html yes grass will grow with it, a little too well. We used to have to power brush it out of the grass along baseball field baselines and along the infield edges. I n yuour case I don't think it will help that much though. You may just have to let it dry naturally. Soil drys from top down so it may help to turn it a few times but other than that don't know what to tell you.

start2finish
08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
you are only looking at about 15 yards if your measurements are accurate. LxWxD / 27 = cubic yards
20 x 20 x 1foot deep = 400 /27 = 14.8 yards
consider hauling it off and bringing in dry. I'm not sure of your costs in your area to sub-out moving of site. In my area I would do the job for a customer(contractor or another landscaper I did grading for) not homeowner, for approx. 400-500 dollars, this is a stab not considering how accessible the site is and proximity to landfill or fill site. But hopefully a general idea.

fcl01
08-12-2005, 10:13 AM
i would haul it out and bring in new topsoil like starttofinish said. if you dig ponds, you obviously have the equip. to do it easily. soil ammendments would be a waste of time. to mix ammendments in youd have to till it, if you're going to till it, you might as well seed it. sure it will be lumpy but nothing the homeowner cant take care of with a lawnroller later.

pajohn
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to pile it up in a corner of the property and use dry stuff for the lawn.