PDA

View Full Version : How much time between visits?

cleancutccl
08-10-2005, 09:23 PM
My first year doing my own apps, certified/insured, and I'm doing a 4 app program with spot treatment of weeds. This program is horrible!!!! The program calls for 2 treatments spring, 2 treatments fall, nothing for summer. Luckily I was able to get a few customers to add on grub treatment for the summer. Basically my question is if you are not scheduled to do an app, do you still take the time to go and spot treat without getting paid? Next year I will use a 6 app program so my spacing should be somewhere between 6-8 weeks between applications.

LwnmwrMan22
08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
I do a 4 app, one before May 15th, one before June 30th, one before September 15th, and one before the ground freezes.

I did a couple last week, and got some pretty nasty burn spots I'm going to have to go back and fix.

I tried to tell the customer I don't enjoy fertilizing in the summer, when it's 90+ out and the customer's watering with a hose, but I did it anyways.

robertsturf
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
We do a standard 6 app program with add on's. Grub control is standard, fungicide, nutsedge, and post-emergent crabgrass control as add-on's or n/c depending on level of customer. I also offer core-aerification with Milorganite as an application coming out of the Summer in Sept. Good Luck.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-10-2005, 10:24 PM
We Usually Do Six Apps Plus Add Ons Grub Control / Lime / Core And Seed / Powerseed-dethatch&seed / Flea And Tick.

cleancutccl
08-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Those posts answered some more questions. Nutsedge and post crabgrass extra. I just bought 2 bottles of drive and bottle of manage and about crapped myself when I saw the price, the stuff better work.

Jason Rose
08-11-2005, 12:19 AM
I have done 4 apps. in the past years. Decent results, yeah the lawns are alive, but if you are mowing those lawns too you find that this time of year on a 4 app program there is going to be little to no growth in a week and a fairly yellow color. Not good for the bank account skipping lawns! When I say 4 apps. that's fert apps. there's actually 5 considering a broadleaf weed app in april. This year I upped it to 5 apps fert and 1 weed spray on all of my properties. The extra app. is in the first of July and is either 24-0-11 or 24-5-11 with Mach II, depending on whether the cust. is worried (or can afford) grub control. My lawns have never looked nicer. always green, tho I have to admit that with the ample rain we had here a month or so ago it was a b&%* keeping the growth cut off every week.

For fertilizing in the heat, I see no problem with it. I don't do it as a rule. If it's above 90 or so I'm waiting. Everyone else is doing apps this week, and the temps are pushing 100. Personally I feel that's stupid...

MOW ED
08-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Those posts answered some more questions. Nutsedge and post crabgrass extra. I just bought 2 bottles of drive and bottle of manage and about crapped myself when I saw the price, the stuff better work.

The stuff will work but only if you read and follow the label. Its also good to read the reciept as you did but then use that "sticker shock" to price the applications accordingly. Drive 75 should be used with a MSO to increase efficiency. Timing is also critical. It depends on the stage of crab as well as the moisture. Like I said read the label well and you will be fine.

ThreeWide
08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
The number of treatments needed depends on the type of turf you are dealing with, along with your climate and length of growing season.

I use 7 applications as the standard program in my area, and often it ends up being more for some clients. We've had so much rain this Summer I really needed to add another round for everyone with warm season grasses.

Holistic Landscapes
08-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Lawnmowerman... what type of fertilizer did you use? What brand... what setting on your spreader? What type of spreader? I'm just not fertilizing in August... period... I will offer a 0-0-7 with talstar for next year during august though... I don't think that can burn.... or mabye just straight talstar? What u guy's think?

Shadygrove
08-11-2005, 05:28 PM
I think you stand as much chance to burn with 0-0-7 W/Talstar as you do with 18-0-18 at 1/2 - 3/4 lb N per K.

Green Dreams
08-11-2005, 05:55 PM
I also offer core-aerification with Milorganite as an application coming out of the Summer in Sept. Good Luck.

My old employer did that. It was a great way to get triple app price for an aeration. I thought it was pretty smart and I sold a bunch of them.

I do 7 apps. Everyone else here does 8, but I don't wanna work every single day of the year. I can do them at 6 or 7 weeks, take long weekends and sit on my arse for the month of dec pretty much.

Fungi apps are extra..I have pretty much all residential St aug lawns. Tru green makes a killing off of tractor work here. They are about the only game in town.....for now.

FINN
08-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Well said Shady.

lawnboy33
08-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Lawnmowerman... what type of fertilizer did you use? What brand... what setting on your spreader? What type of spreader? I'm just not fertilizing in August... period... I will offer a 0-0-7 with talstar for next year during august though... I don't think that can burn.... or mabye just straight talstar? What u guy's think?

Ok why are you applying fertilizer that has no nitrogen? Ok Here's a little help. I use 28-3-10 andersons with 3% iron. Lesco spreader set at f-g I walk pretty fast so I put it down at 3.5 /1000sq ft. It's slow release so burning a yard with it means you are not following my directions. I hope the yards you burnt are recovering? I use 3 way herb at 1gl /1000sq ft. Never streaked a lawn or burned a lawn in my 12 years This app is put down early july! I know you need advice so I will try in help you!

LwnmwrMan22
08-11-2005, 11:39 PM
I used Lesco's 30-0-10 50% slow release.

I only do 4 apps here in MN, since our growing season is usually only about 20-24 weeks.

I'll start spreading again next week, the temps are supposed to moderate back into the 70's.

I'm using a PG Ultra, setting just before "6".

I can see one spot, where I drove into a corner, there was probably some left on the spinner that didn't get spread out all the way, but I've got 3-4 areas that are straight shots across the lawn, about 3-4' long, about 12" wide that burned.