PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine

sugara2z
08-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Hello, I live in Hampton roads Virginia (Suffolk) I have a client that has had St. Augustine grass for about 4-5 years. At the end of last year I noticed 3-4 spots of dying grass about 4 ft in diameter each. at that time I applied granular anti fungal treatment. The grass area is in full to mostly full sun and in the winter I overseaded with rye grass. It is august now and the spots have not been thriving to the point of making much need way to knitting together. Further more I have noticed this week a few other areas that the blades of grass are yellowing quite a bit.

What is it that is doing this and what do I need to do?

sugara2z
08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
i'm thinking Chinch bugs, what is the organic method for the destruction and prevention of chinch bugs?

ed2hess
08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
This was in another thread "Use an insecticidal soap spray on areas where damage has occurred. Products containing pyrethrin can also be used."

Avery
08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Could be a lot of things. You are pushing the limits of St. Augustine in that area. it is a warm season/southern grass. Even in my area which is south of you it is difficult to grow.

sugara2z
08-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Avery, the st. Augustine grows fairly well here for about 8 months a year then it goes dormant. Some people are content with a brown yard for the 4 "winter" months others prefer a wintergreen yard of rye. At any rate the St. Augustine is a resonable choice for residents that don't like to irrigate and are tired of fighting crabgrass and weeds in this borderline state of north-v-south.

Avery
08-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Same here and same with bermuda. I am just pointing out that you are pushing the boundry for that grass. Thus the problem you are seeing with this lawn.

This (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/publications/staug.html) page will give you some info. on St. Augstine and why it is not the best choice for your area.