PDA

View Full Version : Mowing STEEP hill

Viseras lawn service
08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
We have a condo complex that we mow and once a year around this time we must weedwhack the hill behind the units. The hill is probably 600 yards long by 40 yards wide all high grasses and weeds about 2-3 ft high. We have been forced to send 4-5 guys with whackers all day 7:30-5:30 to take care of this job.

Is there a machine that can handle a hill this steep? any one have one or have pics of one?

robertsturf
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Try one of those D.R. mowers they are a walkbehind type mower that can cut through just about anything. Not sure of the price.

Mark McC
08-10-2005, 09:29 PM
One possible solution is one of those hovermowers (www.hovermower.com). On the other hand, if it's a once-a-year deal, are you sure you want to spring for a piece of equipment you might use only for this job? If the hill is as steep as you make it sound, it might not make sense to put a lot of money into a solution because in some situations, a trimmer is the best way to go.

How much do the man-hours cost you for that once a year? Answer that and you'll know about how much you want to spend on a solution.

lawncare4u
08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
You didn't state the degree of angle,but the Super Z that Hustler makes will beat anything I have seen on hill's!However if the hill is to steep for a ZTR Hustler makes a

Brianslawn
08-10-2005, 09:46 PM
thats one big hill. how steep exactly. post a pic. i do even my steepest hills with my walker. just cant let it get that tall. ive heard of a mower on 2 wheels like a bike, plus deck wheel. it pivots so as deck is sloped on hill, you stay vertical. real $$$$, dont know off hand where to find one. lot of big cities have them.

impactlandscaping
08-10-2005, 10:37 PM
look here---->Slope Mower (http://www.deweze.com/products/mowers/index.html)

Itsgottobegreen
08-10-2005, 11:58 PM
I am thinking a huslter hill sider 640 or the newer 6400. They are one bad mother on hills. Or some type of growth control chemicals.

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
08-11-2005, 12:02 AM
We have a condo complex that we mow and once a year around this time we must weedwhack the hill behind the units. The hill is probably 600 yards long by 40 yards wide all high grasses and weeds about 2-3 ft high. We have been forced to send 4-5 guys with whackers all day 7:30-5:30 to take care of this job.

Is there a machine that can handle a hill this steep? any one have one or have pics of one?
that sounds like the same hill at sinsabough heights the senior home in shelton that i live near

gorknoids
08-11-2005, 12:06 AM
I have one for doing ditches, and it's only got a 22" cut to begin with. Have you checked into sickle-bar units? I'm guessing that the slope is greater than 45 degrees.

Tharrell
08-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Chemicals.

Mope Head
08-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Yup, I used to have a similar situation and we would bite the bullet and pony up for a good growth regulator applied early in the season. The grass would grow to a certain height and then stop. When we DID cut it we would use a Toro 32" and just slowly go from side to side.
I don't think a DR Trimmer will do it. It would cut it no problem but it would be a beast to wrestle on a slope.

promower
08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Try using a WB without a velky/sulky. Go up and down the hill and instead of doing a zero turn at the top just reverse to go back down. If even that isnt possible, then thats one steep hill

Pro-Scapes
08-11-2005, 11:33 AM
does it have to be a manicured cut or are you just knocking down weeds?

Again we need know how steep and pics would be great.

south jerz
08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
If you're nervous about taking ztr's or big w/b's on the hill, would using 21's be any better? Maybe round up 5 yard sale cheapo 21's and then cut it with them? Divide up 5 main zones of 8 yards each, covering the width of hill. Then each guy walk 600 yards 12 times and your done. Yes that is 4 miles of walking, but at a relaxed pace you can walk a mile in 15-20 minutes. Figure 2 hours total. That beats 10 hours right? It might take a while but it shouldn't take anywhere near 6 hours and will leave a much better cut w/less operator fatigue. The saved man hours alone from one year could probably pay for the 21's. We got two decent 21's for $50 at a yard sale. POS' relative to commercial, but lasted us all summer. Only need them for three small areas anyway.

Also there is a product, not sure of the name, but it is a frame with wheels that attaches to the head of your wackers, basically making it a mower. Frame holds trimmer head level with ground, wheels roll just like a pushmower. That way you just take of the guards, let the string out all the way, and walk the trimmer like it is a mower. Has to be faster than hovering the head and walking around the hill randomly.