PDA

View Full Version : What does bahia look like?

beaver29
08-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm new to this game. Can someone post some picks of bahia grasss?

lawnman_scott
08-10-2005, 10:44 PM
heres one...

lawnman_scott
08-10-2005, 10:45 PM
this is closer up

lawnmaniac883
08-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I hate cuttin bahia. No matter how hard I try, I just shred the crap outta it.

valleylawn79
08-11-2005, 08:41 PM
looks like pasture grass mixed all up here. grows an inch overnight. seems like it will grow in a drought. but with rain it will grow a foot a week here. terrible on my blades

ChadA
08-11-2005, 08:44 PM
I consider it more of a weed. Needs cut every 4 days this time of year.

rough cut
08-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I've got 10 full acres of it to cut. Need to stop and chg blades after half way. Its even worse when I cut during the middle of the day. No mater how sharp the blades, the Bahia just folds over without getting cut. Need to cut it early when there is heavy dew or after the noon time rains. :cry:

Gizmo_019
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Yep, it's a pain and looks like crap to boot. My low quaility Crapsman blades won't las ta day withouyt being sharpened. I can't wait to get a ZTR, I'm leaning towards Hustler right now and one reason is the Fusion blades that ppl talk about, if they stay sharp that much longer that regular blades I'm game anyday.

The bahia in the pics looks good to me. Also, I think it will grow in a drought because I cut every 2 weeks onb my accounts and some are 12-14" tall in 2 weeks with bahia :cry: When we are havin a good wet season, you can't turn your back on it or it will need it again.

TClawn
08-11-2005, 11:34 PM
I cut a grass similar to bahia, but with a thinner leaf blade, and a bit less aggressive growth habit.

depending on the fert schedule, it wil grow between 3"-5" a week. mulches terrible, and discharges ok. it is extremely hard to cut, and will bog a mower like nothing else. makes teh blades dull in 4 hours use. and the seed heads.... we won't even go there. for all that though, it is a great looking grass, and the only thing that will tolerate salt. (you can water with ocean water, as long as you flush it with fresh once a week).

S man
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I haven't seen any in my area. It looks like pain to cut though. Is thick st. aug worse than this stuff?

TClawn
08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
no it is not. st. augustine is a walk in the park compared to it.

I forgot to mention that there is one yard that has some bahia spreading, and that is a major pain.

Fubba
08-12-2005, 12:01 AM
I've been running two Scotts 16hp 42" mowers for a couple of years. Finally went and bought me a 52" Exmark a couple of weekends ago. The first yard I cut...slap full of bahia. I figured I had something that could take it out. Exmark gives probably the best cut quality out of any mower, and still can't cut bahia without leaving a sprig here and there. I think it's time we rebel and throw some gas and matches at it lol.

WildWest
08-12-2005, 01:47 AM
I hate cutting bahia, it never fills in nicely, heck MY yard is bahia, my mower cuts it nicely though, I cut it at 2"

St Augustine.... I love cutting that!

I could compare them like this, get a steak knife and cut a piece of crisp lettuce, that would be St augustine, now, same knife with a wilted piece of lettuce, you know, the first layer of lettuce thats wilted before you even get it out of the bag. That would be bahia!

If I cut bahia wet, it clumps like crazy and looks like CRaPolA! I try to save them till the mid morning or afternoon when the dew is gone.

Richard Martin
08-12-2005, 05:27 AM
Some people call it Wire Grass and that is pretty descriptive. Basically it's a grass that grows on runners (vines if you want) and goes anywhere it wants. Everywhere the runner touches the ground it puts down roots and you have a new plant.

rodfather
08-12-2005, 06:49 AM
I'll take a nice fescue over that crap anyday. Why would anyone want bahia?

valleylawn79
08-12-2005, 08:53 AM
most dont wont behui; it just runs naturally everywhere around here. hence the term hay> pasture grass mix with weeds and junk. however there is some behiu that is being grown in tifton ga under the devolpment of the ag school and turf companies is my understanding. it will be a little less destructive on equipment; blades etc. doesn't head "out" as fast . this stuff here is much more wiry than the pensacola version. makes a mess if its over 3 or 4 inches high when you cut. mulching just dont work; bagging it would cause you to empty your hopper/bagger every 5 minutes. its a MESS!!!!!

Precision
08-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I haven't seen any in my area. It looks like pain to cut though. Is thick st. aug worse than this stuff?

Thick st augustine is nothing. We can cut that all day long without dulling the blades. But cut 2 acres of Bahia and you can't cut anymore with the blades, hop on a st augustine yard and the blades are fine again.

Precision
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I'll take a nice fescue over that crap anyday. Why would anyone want bahia?
Builders love it. current cost here is like $35 per 400 sq ft pallet.

Has no need of irrigation. Has no need for maintenance for the first month after you drop the sod. By then some poor sap will own the house and start cursing it.

I cut bahia all the time. sucks but no big deal. I have one yard that is the no seed head bahia. Pensecola variety I think. I am gonna spray round up on that guys yard, then light it on fire.

Quarter acre lot and 40 minutes to cut the backyard with a 36" Scag ZTR with freshly sharpened blades. In the back yard alone, I had to stop and by hand unpack the deck 3 YES 3 times. That stuff packed in like glue. won't dry out, turf turds everywhere. He is getting a call.

We can start over with better grass or double your rates. No wonder the last guy did such a crappy job

Ryan Lightning
08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
I beleive it is illegal to plant it in CA, they dont want it in the row crops. I have seen it a few times and mow a lawn that has a large patch 20x40' I spray it with round-up in the fall before I rye grass, and it slows it down til about summer time.

Scapegoat
08-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm new to this game. Can someone post some picks of bahia grasss?

Maybe this will better help you identify it, in an uncut state.

http://www.tropicalgrasslands.asn.au/pastures/images/bahia.gif

Also, here is some more info on Bahia. (specific to FL)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH006

Precision
08-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I beleive it is illegal to plant it in CA, they dont want it in the row crops. I have seen it a few times and mow a lawn that has a large patch 20x40' I spray it with round-up in the fall before I rye grass, and it slows it down til about summer time.

If you spray it while it is seriously growing it will die. May take 2 apps. If it goes completely dormant before you spray, you are just wasting spray. completely dormant looks just like dead.

I have heard rumors that a 1/4 strength app of round up will act as a growth inhibitor, may cause yellowing as well. Never tried it. Anywhere I spray round up I want it dead.

lee b
08-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Ally or Cimmaron will control Bahia grass, may take two or three applications and is safe to use on most other grasses. I love bahia grass, my cows are belly deep in bahia right now, can't hardly keep up it with all this rain we're getting. :waving: