PDA

View Full Version : Flat Blades a/k/a "sand blades"

coastallandscapesolutions
08-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Anyone running flat blades also know as sand blades on their mowers. I am interested in what your results are.

We are going through 7 blades a day on the WAM and not even sharpening once. They are shot after 8 hours of mowing. We are thinking of trying the sand blades but was wondering if anyone else used them?

rodfather
08-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Brian, explain this in more detail if you would please...at least about the part of flat blades.

coastallandscapesolutions
08-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Brian, explain this in more detail if you would please...at least about the part of flat blades.

I had heard of them before but never seen them. Where a normal blade has the tips curved up these blades are flat. There is no lift. Then when they get dull you flip them over. They are sharpened on both sides. It is kind of neat.

Anyway since there is no lift to the blades there is very little resistance to them thus the sand doesn't eat them away. With the current blades I can start out the mowing with a brand new blade and 6 hours later the blade is 2" shorter and 1+" narrower. The lift tips are gone and the blade is out of balance.

All the years cutting I have never had blades eaten up like this. It's just at 6 of the schools too. One school might as well be a beach there is so much sand.

Jason Rose
08-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Wow, If I had to go thru blades that fast I'd give up.... Sounds like you already have flat blades!!! Day one is high lift, sharpen, day 2 is flat... Replace. I realy can't imigine that blades with NO lift on them could cut worth a damn, unless you are cutting at 2 inches or so I'd think the grass would just lay over instead of being cut. I have that problem if I run lo-lifts, I can't imigine no-lifts... And I thought living in the sand hills was bad here...

Tonyr
08-11-2005, 12:06 AM
I ran Toro sand blades for awhile, the ones for the turbo force decks are a normal blade with a very small raised sail....ok, in the sand they wore well, but seem to not cut that great, lack of vacume I guess.

you may want to look at Fusion blades and boron steel blades for better wearing...

PTOhioMower
08-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Im thinking of trying them as doubles. High lift on the bottom and the flat blade on top. Doubles for me with a high lift and gator spits the grass all over the place making a mess. I have trouble enough keeping grass out of flower beds. Im thinking with the flat blade, Ill still get the smaller clippings but not such a powerfull discharge. Any feedback??

cantoo
08-11-2005, 01:33 AM
I tried the flat blades on my MTD Pro Z last year and they didn't work at all. I only had one set so I didn't try them as doubles. Grass run over by the front wheels would not be cut.