PDA

View Full Version : 42'' SWISHER mower

TriplePLandscaping
08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
does n e one have one of these with the 11.5 horse power engine. if you do how do they work. i can pick one up for 1200 from tsc. do u think thats a good price

thanks...

daveintoledo
08-11-2005, 10:28 AM
i dont think that will hold up......

Itsgottobegreen
08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
junk. I wouldn't buy any mowing equipment from TSC.

Shuter
08-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Does not sound like much for $1200.00 Look for a bigger wb, used for $1200.

cantoo
08-11-2005, 09:57 PM
It's $1200 not that much to be out if it works for awhile and makes you money. You can sell it when you're done and get some money back. I have loked at them and they seem good enough for a wide open area. Just remember that I as well as the other guys who posted here have likely never used one though.

LandscapeSolutions
08-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah it might be ok for your own yard. But if you intend to mow commercially with it you'll be sorry. Buy a commercial duty mower, this means youll actually have to visit a shop that specializes in outdoor power equipment, not some place that sells bird seed also.............

Gizmo_019
08-11-2005, 10:28 PM
I was in Sam's Club the night before last and saw a Swisher ZTR with a 14.5 Briggs and a 36" cut. It was kinda tucked in between some Troy-Bilts and it was $1999.99, I was like Hmm, so I cat on it, looked around it, almost fired it up but an employee walked by. Anyway, it looks VERY cheaply made, to adust the deck you had to turn this little crank handle like a trailer jack, and a piece of lamenated paper on the deck with measurments on it poked through the floorboard and it would say and how many inches you were cutting at. I could've broke the parking brake on it and it looked real cheap, the handles were all loose, and it wasn't real comfy to sit on either.

Come to find out it was used and was originally $2,699.00 and it was a used one that had been returned, I would've returned it too if I would've bought it it!

I have never rode a Swisher and cannot say anything about else them but except I have said, only sat on one in a store.

LandscapeSolutions
08-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Gizmo.........would you recommend your crapsman mower?

Itsgottobegreen
08-11-2005, 10:45 PM
junk. I wouldn't buy any mowing equipment from TSC.
I just remember something. That includes everything that mowing equipment related, including employees. My one guy used to work at TSC. He can't cut a straight line to save his life. But is invaluable in landscape projects. He is all musle.

S man
08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
The deck on those looks like total trash. No rollers or nothing. Scalp city.

Gizmo_019
08-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Nope Landscape I wouldn't. I would even burden an LCO in a 3rd world country with it ( if there is such a thing ). I hate it with a passion. But it gets the job done. By the end of the season I will have enough saved for a ZTR.

S man
08-11-2005, 11:14 PM
What is it doing that you don't like?

Gizmo_019
08-11-2005, 11:21 PM
It is just low quaility. The tie rod broke day before yesterday, I welded it back together and ordered a replacement, but I think my version is stronger. A brace that keeps the deck from sawying side to side broke off one day, So instead of bolting it back up I welded it to the frame. The spindles don't last but around 2 years. The mechanical linkage to engage the blades is getting stiff and probably about to break for the 3rd time. Plus the frame and front axle have stress cracks i nthem from riding on the trailer I guess. It's just not built to mow but 1 yard, once every 2 weeks.

cantoo
08-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I thought you were talking about the tow behind units?
Gizmo, the tie rods are meant to break instead of wrecking the front "axle" or wheel.

Gizmo_019
08-12-2005, 01:08 AM
It didn't actually break, just bent, for like the 6th time. It was a bear gettin it on the trailer with a bent tie rod.

cantoo
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Many moons ago we used to have a Yardman mower and I kept spare rods and tie rod ends with me. I used to adjust them all the way out so it would turn tighter(future ZTR) and they would bent if you hit a hole while turning sharp.

Gizmo_019
08-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Thats what happened to me, hit a hole while turning. Got the factory replacement in today but I think I will leave my version on it as it is really strong and keep the other as a spare.

TPnTX
08-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I got a swisher 60" pull behind. It's crap but has done a good job up till now.

It has barley held up to my personal use on 14 acres. I had to weld new plates to the deck where the brackets connect.

I think swisher is maybe slighty above murray/craftsman in overall quality.

My biggest problem now is th POS tecumseh OVH engine. I going to pull a 18HP briggs off a old rider I have and change it out. Thats here nor there but any company that will sell Tecumseh has got to be on it way to trouble. "TORO"....