PDA

View Full Version : zplugr advice

turfsolutions
08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I have decided to order a new z plugr. I was going to go with the larger 46 inch model but the salesman talked me into the smaller 36 inch model because I do mostly 1/3 acre residential lawns. He thought that the better maneuvaribility would outweigh the wider pattern.

What do you z plugr owners think?

Forever Green Lawn
08-11-2005, 09:44 PM
We have the 46 inch model and love it, but we are using it on larger properties. I have used it on smaller lawns and it's tight in some spaces but not too bad. The 36 inch will do fine on the size lawns you have. It's amazing how fast this machine will aerate. You will love it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Scott

turfsurfer
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I have the 36" model and really like it. I have used it on yards up to 2 acres and it works really well. It may take a little longer thanthe 46" model but the main plus for the machine is you will be totally fresh at the end of the day instead of dog tired from a walkbehind unit. I think for your size lawns the 36 will be fine. The majority of my lawns are in the 1/5-1/2 acre range.

turfsolutions
08-14-2005, 04:28 PM
A little suprised I only got 2 reponses. I thought a lot more guys were trying this fairly new aerator out. Thanks to those that did reply.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-15-2005, 03:58 PM
i like my 46 inch unit it fits anywhere a walk behind mower will fit

Blade
08-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I have the 36inch and love it. Very low maintenance in operating. Well worth the money. I only wish I could get it to pull better/ deeper plugs. In thatchy zoysia lawns it's sometimes hard to tell we've aerated them. You have to look close.

Drew Gemma
08-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I am looking into buying one are they worth it and how much do they cost? they reliable built tought and do they wear you down riding on them. How good of cores do they pull when it is dry?

turfsurfer
08-18-2005, 10:20 PM
They are reliable and built very tough. As I said, you won't feel like you've done any aerating at the end of the day, BIG plus. As with any other weight driven machine, the ground does have to have moisture to pull a decent plug, but I would definately say it does at least as good as say my Ryan V. If you want to pull good plugs in very marginal soil conditions, you'll have to go with a cam driven model. But then again, you're back to walking along with some other issues like problems going up hills. I AM looking to maybe trade up the Ryan I have for a PLUGR PL800. I think that will be a killer combo along with the Z-plugr.

Drew Gemma
08-18-2005, 11:20 PM
where do i find a z plugger what is the website? please

turfsolutions
08-19-2005, 01:22 PM
www.z-spray.com

Drew Gemma
08-19-2005, 06:40 PM
thanks for the link how much do they cost I want that 46inch job bad I could make cash with that!

Forever Green Lawn
08-19-2005, 11:16 PM
My 2005 price sheet says $6295.00, it's from early spring so things my have changed a little. After using it though, it's worth every penny! For another $2000.00 you can get a spreader and tank attachment that basically turns it into a Z-spray junior. I just ordered mine...
Scott

ant
10-23-2005, 11:01 PM
all right you guys, it's been 2 months since this post been active...
will you guys post your experience with the z-plugger?
i now have 2 36'' units and they are making me money.

i will post a pic of my setup.

one thing that i am in the process of changing is the muffler discharge pipe needs a 90deg. el-bow to prevent rain and water from getting down the muffler and rotting it out.
muffler looks expensive to me.

Forever Green Lawn
10-23-2005, 11:52 PM
We love ours and I'm also considering one more. The only problem I had this fall we a leaky seal on a wheel motor. Tom said it was under warranty and I had a new one in two days.
Ant... how much are you asking for your Centris and what's wrong with them? Scott

turfsurfer
10-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Still loving mine. Plan on doing about 15 aerations today if the rain holds off. Ground is nice and soft after several days of rain here. There's no one here that can touch the number of plugs I pull with this machine. It does have a SLIGHTLY more open aerating pattern than my Ryan, but on an even marginally open yard I will run my usual half overlap pattern, then just start doing circles everywhere. At 5-6 MPH you can pull ALOT of plugs in a short time. The literature says you can turn 20 degrees left or right but I notice with the 36" I can make some fairly tight circles, just make sure you have the aerating head straight before pulling out of the ground.

philk17088
10-24-2005, 10:23 PM
. If you want to pull good plugs in very marginal soil conditions, you'll have to go with a cam driven model. .
Man, I wish they'd make a stander cam driven aerator. Though I bet that would jar your jangles when you hit a sunken water stop!

cowboy bob
10-29-2005, 10:28 AM
My 2005 price sheet says $6295.00, it's from early spring so things my have changed a little. After using it though, it's worth every penny! For another $2000.00 you can get a spreader and tank attachment that basically turns it into a Z-spray junior. I just ordered mine...
Scott
I am looking at getting a z spray machine, but I also do a lot of aerations. How easy is it to convert the z plugger in to a sprayer ? How does the z plugger handle on hills. My avg lawn is 3/4 of an acre

turfsurfer
10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
I have found the zplugr to do real well on hills. If your average lawn is 3/4 acre I would go ahead and try out the 46" model over the 36". I don't convert mine for fert/spray work. I have the z-spray intermediate and prefer to stay with dedicated machines.

Rob Spread & Spray
10-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Hmmm! Now this is interesting. I will have to check out this conversion deal, may be just what I am looking for depending on how easy it is.

How much sqft can you cover in what amount of time with the aerator?

ANT: Man you bought 2 of those this year you DAWG. That why you are selling the arevator?

What did you replace the Centris with? Dont tell me you bought a ZSpray too? Didnt you pick up a Magnum this year?

ant
10-30-2005, 09:31 PM
rob: give them a call. a friend of mine just got the aerator with the spreader and loves it.
yep i got the magnum this yr. have about 50 hrs. on it now. burned up a belt at 10 hrs.had to bend the belt idler arm a bit to correct the problem..
ant

Forever Green Lawn
10-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Hills are ok with the z-plugr as long as it's dry. Otherwise the thing will slide due to the weight of the aerator. For $60.00 LT Rich sells tires with a more agressive tread, like the tires on a dixie chopper. As for the spreader attachment, it's easy to install and work well. Great for aerating and seeding. The sprayer rig also work well too.
Scott

Rob Spread & Spray
10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
How many 1,000 sqft per hour can you do with the Z Plugr?

Forever Green Lawn
10-31-2005, 10:04 PM
You can do about 2 acres per hour, maybe more maybe less depending on the property. It eats up turf in a hurry, you will be imppessed! Scott

Rob Spread & Spray
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks Scott. I aim to test drive one at GIE this week!

stevesmowing
11-20-2005, 09:09 PM
how long does it take to do an average .5 acre lawn about 15,000 sq. feet or so.

ant
11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
1/2 Hr. Unload --do It---load Up---

aclassic
03-30-2006, 07:06 PM
ant, werent you going to post a pic of your aeration setup?

ant
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
when i get set up..i will remind me:dancing: