PDA

View Full Version : Leaf removal $

willretire@40
08-11-2005, 05:46 PM
For those who use a truck loader and a dump truck or trailer and blowers how much do you charge a hour for leaf removal. Do you have a min.? Also what is the ratio for jobs bid and ones that you actually get? And last do you think there is any money in this.

mowin at the lake
08-11-2005, 07:37 PM
We get 85 an hour for the vac truck
that is with one employee.
each additional is 35 per hour.
There is a 1\2 hour min.
we get the usual 35-45 per hour per guy to blow with back packs(depends on how big a pain n the a** the yard is)
However if we are using the turbine, that an extra 50 per hour.

paponte
08-11-2005, 08:35 PM
$60-$75 per man, per hour, plus dumping... 1hr minimum. Yes, there is plenty of money to be made. :)

Shuter
08-11-2005, 08:38 PM
My prices are by the job, not by the hour. The average is $75.00 per hour.

nobagger
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM
$60-$75 per man, per hour, plus dumping... 1hr minimum. Yes, there is plenty of money to be made. :)
Thats awesome you guys are getting that, but.... Iv'e tried for two years now and still I am getting people that freak out over $30-$40/hr. How do you guys do it? I mean is there really that much work where you work or am I just doing something wrong? And where I live there are plenty of leaves from Sept. through even December. The thing that sucks is that if you don't take the b.s. from people and get pretty much what they are willing to pay your not working. What to do????? ;)

Shuter
08-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Charge by the job not by the hour. There are no customers that need to know how much per hour you need or want to make.

jbell113
08-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Figure up how long you think it will take and how much you want to make. Say you think it will take 2 hrs and you want to make $150. You make $75 an hour. Dont tell them an hourly rate or even how long it will take ...just give em a price.

paponte
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Thats awesome you guys are getting that, but.... Iv'e tried for two years now and still I am getting people that freak out over $30-$40/hr. How do you guys do it? I mean is there really that much work where you work or am I just doing something wrong? And where I live there are plenty of leaves from Sept. through even December. The thing that sucks is that if you don't take the b.s. from people and get pretty much what they are willing to pay your not working. What to do????? ;)

We also have an impressive setup for leave removal, and take much less time than most of the guys around here. We ALWAYS charge hourly, but always give a rough estimate upfront. :)

nobagger
08-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Figure up how long you think it will take and how much you want to make. Say you think it will take 2 hrs and you want to make $150. You make $75 an hour. Dont tell them an hourly rate or even how long it will take ...just give em a price.
I try not to tell them our houry price but if and when they ask you have to tell them. I actually had a guy last season stand in his door while I was giving him our estimate and he had a calculator in hand and figure out the rate, (not like its rocket science but come on). Hopefully this season will be better.

willretire@40
08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I am about to buy a 6x10 dump trailer in a couple of weeks. Do you think this is big enough for leaves. I will have the sides at about 6 feet. Is that too tall? Should i mount loader on front or do swing away? Thanks

FrankenScagMachines
08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
dump trailer- 6x10 would be OK. I think a 12' would be a little better but if you're saving decent money on a 10' thats fine. 6' tall is probably fine. As long as you have plenty of clearance for low trees, power lines, any other considerations...
Rear mount swing away hitch on the loader, IMHO anyway, that way you can back up to a pile... If you have it on front of the trailer you'll have to get right beside the pile but sometimes its alot easier to pull or back right up to it.

Last fall I had the vac on front of my trailer (shooting debris into the back of my truck). This year I'll have the vac on front of the truck shooting into the bed of the dump truck...

willretire@40
08-12-2005, 08:51 AM
6x12 is about $1k more but it has two cylinder rather then one which is proably alot better. I will be pulling with a ram 1500 so dont what two much weight 6x12 empty is 3800 # or something like that but 6x10 is 2800 #s

jpa375
08-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Frankenscag, what brand and size leaf loader do you have and what are you using to mount it to the front of the truck?

John Gamba
08-12-2005, 01:02 PM
If you charge by the hour you will not have to Chase every leave around like you do by the job.

John

LB1234
08-14-2005, 10:34 PM
John makes a good point.

Anyway...

For our existing/contracted customers we run a hourly rate. It is too difficult to run by the job b/c it really depends on the type of weather we are having. One shift in the wind and the neighbors leaves wind up on our account we just did. We run at 35/man/hour. We bill in 1/2hr increments. If leaves need to be removed we charge b/t 15-25 per cubic yard and an additional 50 fee for the leaf loader.

As for one time jobs...you know the ones...current guy hasn't shown up, we thought we could do it, etc. we charge a flat, one-time fee. We try to get between 40-50 per hour and 25-30 per yard. Thankfully we are busy enough were we can say take it or 'leaf' it (haha :D ). Sorry, could resist...

As for the gentlemen w/14' trailer question...it all depends just how much leaf cleanup you will be doing. It it will be ample room to cover you for an entire, 1/2 or whatever day than go for it. If it make it were you have to leave a job or dump it only after 3 of 8 are completed than go for the bigger one.

We have a 14' dump trailer w/ custom tarp and 16HP BG leaf loader. Fits somewhere around 15 cu.yds. which is just right for us. Gets us through an entire day even on the heaviest days. Perform a search on wrote on this topic a few times.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-14-2005, 10:42 PM
I Have Seen Guys Around Here Make Up Brackets That Fit The Snow Plow Tubes Or Hitches So The Can Easliy Mount The Vac To The Front. Also I Know That Giant Vac Used To Make A Hi Hp Front Mount Version For Municipal Leaf Collections.

topsites
08-14-2005, 10:48 PM
We get 85 an hour for the vac truck
that is with one employee.
each additional is 35 per hour.
There is a 1\2 hour min.
we get the usual 35-45 per hour per guy to blow with back packs(depends on how big a pain n the a** the yard is)
However if we are using the turbine, that an extra 50 per hour.

By turbine, do you mean a push-blower?

topsites
08-14-2005, 10:51 PM

Yes that is my problem as well, I can barely squeak $40/hour out of them with the billygoat 10 hp pushblower that puts out a rude 2,400 Cfm, EIGHT times the power of a backpack blower. I have the same attitude about if you don't compromise then you get NO work and although the demand is SKY high, the turnover rate on the NO to the higher prices is astounding as well.

There is one life-saver for me: Leaves are done for year-long grass-customers first, and if that's all I get done, then so be it. Of course then you get the slicksters try to squeeze in 3 grass-cuts by starting as 'regulars' in september... I swear to ducking fog you can't win this war.