PDA

View Full Version : extra uses for leaf loader, will this work?

stumper1620
08-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I need to get a leaf loader, I'm trying to decide if this will work to help me pay for it, what do you guys think?
Could I use a leaf loader to suck the grindings out of stump holes after i grind them to load my trailer, then use it to unload the trailer at the local recycler? If this would work I could cut out a ton of labor hours really fast. :D payup payup
could it handle it without damaging it??

jpmako
08-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Steve,

To answer your question - Maybe
I am sure that others will chime in here but in my opinion you would need a pretty heavy duty unit and you would have to be careful of rocks and metal objects that may be not be visible under the pile of grindings.

I have used mine to load wood chips once before and it was not that fun.
You will also need to get a heavy duty rubber hose as sharp objects could penetrate the cheaper hoses pretty easily IMO.

Hope this helps,

Jason

stumper1620
08-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Steve,

To answer your question - Maybe
I am sure that others will chime in here but in my opinion you would need a pretty heavy duty unit and you would have to be careful of rocks and metal objects that may be not be visible under the pile of grindings.

I have used mine to load wood chips once before and it was not that fun.
You will also need to get a heavy duty rubber hose as sharp objects could penetrate the cheaper hoses pretty easily IMO.

Hope this helps,

Jason
thanks Jason,
I'm not too worried about hose but really wondered if it would tear up the blower wheel. if I could use it for this & leaf season this would be one of the best purchases I could make this year.
anybody else?

stumper1620
08-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Bump to the top, any other opinions about the feasibility of this??

FrankenScagMachines
08-11-2005, 11:41 PM
I've only been around stump grindings once... but the stuff I saw was pretty light and fluffy, and if the majority of grindings are like that (and I assume they are) then you should be plenty fine to use the loader on them... As said make sure not to suck up rocks and such but same goes for leaves... I think it would work OK myself.

Perhaps a Little Wonder with the TALON shredder option would help process the shreddings further? I've never used or been around this loader before and am not familiar with it. Maybe others could chime in and advise if it would help process debris to a very safe to suck state. The Talon is a claw like attachment mounted to the blower on the intake side, so basically it shreds leaves better to pack them better. I wonder if it would help chop up the grinding debris so theres definately no chance of impeller damage. I really don't think you'd have to worry about the grindings with a regular vac honestly.

~Eric

bushtrimmer
08-11-2005, 11:57 PM
I have a 16 hp billy goat loader, I wouldn't use it for any other purpose that loading leaves, quicker to pitch fork out than vacuum. Maybe a larger tow behind might load grindings better.

stumper1620
08-13-2005, 06:29 PM
thanks guys, I think it will work ok, i guess now I will start shopping. :D payup

Mowing Mike
08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
I have tried to use the leaf loader to load stump grindings, it is not worth it. Stump grindings are not light like you may think. If you take a pitch fork and get a scoop of leaves and compare them to a scoop of stump grinding it is easy to see. The machine takes a beating and the dirt packs in the elbow of the leaf loader not to mention they cling to the inside of the tube. If you could experiment before investing much money you will find it don't work real good.

Thanks mike

stumper1620
08-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I have tried to use the leaf loader to load stump grindings, it is not worth it. Stump grindings are not light like you may think. If you take a pitch fork and get a scoop of leaves and compare them to a scoop of stump grinding it is easy to see. The machine takes a beating and the dirt packs in the elbow of the leaf loader not to mention they cling to the inside of the tube. If you could experiment before investing much money you will find it don't work real good.

Thanks mike
thanks mike, how big of loader were you using when you tried it? maybe I'll rent one for a test run, local rental company has from small to large sizes.

Mowing Mike
08-14-2005, 09:41 AM
i have tried the 11 and 16 hp. When I tried it i was hoping it would work but for me it did not. The stump grindings would cling to the side wall of the vacuum tube and not go all the way up, then when they hit the impeller they are pretty hard on it.

Good luck

Mike

TURFLORD
08-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't do it. It wasn't meant for that use. You will suck up landscape stones, bricks, and all other manner of "artifacts" and absolutely destroy the impellor. And it probably won't work in all circumstances such as wet, heavy clay soils.

FrankenScagMachines
08-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Ok sorry I wasn't trying to give bad advice. I've only been close to stump grindings once and felt them they were light and fluffy ones. I am not sure what tree or grinder it was but they were really light and fluffy... they would have gone through the loader i'm positive but they must not have been normal ones.. sorry my bad.
Yeah rent one see what you think if you still think it would work but these guys say it won't.

Eric

ed2hess
08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Use the machine to compost lawns, that is a new business in our area. This is an organic market thing.

cantoo
08-14-2005, 11:21 PM
ed2hess, what types of soil are they blowing on? We're considering blowing a sandy topsoil with ours. Of course we are expecting wear on the impeller but hope that the time savings will pay for repairs.