PDA

View Full Version : I need power

LawnBoy89
08-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I have about 12 accounts of my own and I work full time for a landscaping company just mowing and weedwacking. I have all commercial equipment of my own except a string trimmer which is a craftsman...and to be honest with you it works great, and it has pretty good power. The only downfall is it is a waste of string and time because it doesn't have an auto-feed head so I change the string atleast once each lawn, and about 5 inches goes to waste every lawn. At work we use Shindiawa T-260's, but they seem like they are less powerful then my craftsmen which surprised me. So what is a pretty good trimmer that wont cost me over $350 and has some good power?

stumper1620
08-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I have about 12 accounts of my own and I work full time for a landscaping company just mowing and weedwacking. I have all commercial equipment of my own except a string trimmer which is a craftsman...and to be honest with you it works great, and it has pretty good power. The only downfall is it is a waste of string and time because it doesn't have an auto-feed head so I change the string atleast once each lawn, and about 5 inches goes to waste every lawn. At work we use Shindiawa T-260's, but they seem like they are less powerful then my craftsmen which surprised me. So what is a pretty good trimmer that wont cost me over $350 and has some good power?
I'm happy with my Echo SRM-230

mcwlandscaping
08-11-2005, 07:53 PM
stihl FS85R, awsome! $320, Echo is great too! SRM 210 $199

Shuter
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
I can only recommend Stihls. All my handhelds are Stihls.

Brianslawn
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
stihl fs80r or fs110r 4 cycle with supercut 20-2 full auto heads. they dont make fs85 anymore. my first fs80 lasted 6 years. never once lost power

mkwl
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Red Max trimmers! I have a BCZ2600S Red Max trimmer and I love it! It has a ton of power and torque, and is extremely reliable! I think I can honestly tell you that Red Max trimmers are the best money can buy!

Mattquist
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
I like the Kawasaki trimmers. Run forever, and light and comfy. I bought mine for $300.

lawnmaniac883
08-11-2005, 10:19 PM
All I feel good about recommending is Stihl. Get a fs110 or fs130 with the 4-mix engine. Those things have soooo much power and more torque than anything I have used. You will never bog either down. GET A STIHL!

stevesmowing
08-11-2005, 10:58 PM
redmax 3000 or shindaiwa t-270

bushtrimmer
08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
stihl fs80r or fs110r 4 cycle with supercut 20-2 full auto heads. they dont make fs85 anymore. my first fs80 lasted 6 years. never once lost power

ditto this
At first it sounds like it lacks power, you have to get used to the sound. But very smooth running and dependable. No need for the 130, 110 does it all.

S man
08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm happy with my Echo SRM-230

Oh please. I would have to say using one of these that there's no power. Redmax 25 cc works great. Anything with 25 cc or higher is considered power to me.

S man
08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Red Max trimmers! I have a BCZ2600S Red Max trimmer and I love it! It has a ton of power and torque, and is extremely reliable! I think I can honestly tell you that Red Max trimmers are the best money can buy!

Now you're talking. :cool2: payup

WarEagleCRL
08-12-2005, 02:32 AM
redmax 2600
Ive had echo and the new ones suck, if you can find a 2601 though, buy it! Stihl are good but i prefer redmax

fishinpa
08-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I have all commercial equipment of my own except a string trimmer which is a craftsman...and to be honest with you it works great, and it has pretty good power. The only downfall is it is a waste of string and time because it doesn't have an auto-feed head so I change the string atleast once each lawn, and about 5 inches goes to waste every lawn.

I'm not an LCO, but if I'm reading this right you like the trimmer you already have and only find the head an inconvenience, right?

Why not just replace the head with a good bump type? I think the one on my Echo 210 is great. How much could replacing the head cost? $30.00 - $40.00 at most??

LawnBoy89
08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I probably should just replace the head but it has a very weird head setup and I don't even know if I can change it. Also, if the clutch ever goes on it or anything I'm screwed because my other trimmer which is a bent shaft homelite needs throttle cable so I need a backup trimmer. I'm leaning towards redmax since I have a redmax blower, gotta match ya know?

But now that many people deal with redmax around here, can you demo a trimmer?

Eddie B
08-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Don't the craftsman trimmer heads turn clockwise? A new head would be pointless. A craftsman auto-feed head is the biggest waste of time as well. Don't bother with it!

LawnBoy89
08-13-2005, 01:52 AM
NOOO...mine turns counter-clockwise. But just wondering....what would be the difference if it did turn clockwise? Is that bad, besides you would have to postion yourself different so you don't get covered in grass and shot at but anything else?

Eddie B
08-13-2005, 05:02 AM
NOOO...mine turns counter-clockwise. But just wondering....what would be the difference if it did turn clockwise? Is that bad, besides you would have to postion yourself different so you don't get covered in grass and shot at but anything else?

I used a clockwise-turning homelite from age 12-17 and was really used to it... Switched over the the echo and it turns counter-clockwise. For me it was as simple as trimming everything in the opposite order, facing the opposite way. Took a little while to get my brain thinking in reverse. There was some debate about this, others said there was more to it.

S man
08-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I've used stihl and have liked it but the redmax is smoother and more powerful. The stihl gave too many vibrations.

Bulletproof
08-13-2005, 05:21 PM
We've used echo, honda, craftsman, husqvarna...all great trimmers but have the tendency to break easily.

We still have all of these and are using them daily, but the best trimmer by far is our Stihl 4-mix, you just gotta figure out the idle (not setup) and then you're golden.

PS-buy the stihl with the available attachments : roto-tiller, hedgetrimmer, chainsaw, etc... worth it's weight in gold

LawnBoy89
08-14-2005, 04:21 AM
4-mix....that is a 4-cycle engine but you still need to mix oil in the gas? The only reason I am not crazy about hte 4-cycle engines is because they have alot more parts that can break and it's probably heavier as well.

Jordan River
08-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Lawnboy89, you don't mix the oil and gas in a four-cycle. They are heavier, though. I use a redmax. My buddy has a stihl. His stihl is a bit heavier than my redmax, but I can cut better with his stihl. I will be getting a stihl after this season. But you get what works for you...BUT...get the good stuff no matter what...no homeowner crap. Just my .02!

yardmanlee
08-14-2005, 10:24 AM
fs74 w/ hedge trimmer head has had for 10 yrs.
fs80 line trimmer for last 6 yrs
fs110r just got this past just june for the tuff stuff
and happy w/ all 3

fcl01
08-14-2005, 12:29 PM
like the stihl 4 mix
http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/news_fourmix.html

lawnmaniac883
08-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Lawnboy89, you don't mix the oil and gas in a four-cycle. They are heavier, though. I use a redmax. My buddy has a stihl. His stihl is a bit heavier than my redmax, but I can cut better with his stihl. I will be getting a stihl after this season. But you get what works for you...BUT...get the good stuff no matter what...no homeowner crap. Just my .02!

In a Stihl 4-mix engine, it is a 4 stroke that you need no motor oil in the crankcase. Instead, you do mix oil in the gas. So, Lawnboy89 is correct.

topsites
08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I probably should just replace the head but it has a very weird head setup and I don't even know if I can change it. Also, if the clutch ever goes on it or anything I'm screwed because my other trimmer which is a bent shaft homelite needs throttle cable so I need a backup trimmer. I'm leaning towards redmax since I have a redmax blower, gotta match ya know?

But now that many people deal with redmax around here, can you demo a trimmer?

a) Go to sears and SEE what they have and use what you got until it breaks!
Forget a backup, so long you keep the money saved so when it breaks you can then buy your next one.
b) at the dealer, yes I am sure you can demo a trimmer so long you got the money to buy it, so to speak.
c) the echo srm-260s is MY trimmer, 3 years and going strong thou stihl is good too, 300 dollah for the srm-260s

topsites
08-14-2005, 03:47 PM
4-mix....that is a 4-cycle engine but you still need to mix oil in the gas? The only reason I am not crazy about hte 4-cycle engines is because they have alot more parts that can break and it's probably heavier as well.

Yes, I have a br550 backpack 4-cycler by stihl and the fuel is the SAME mix as for the 2-cyclers. Far as parts that can break whatever, but yes the trimmer is heavier as I demo'd one and even thou it's only couple pounds, I thought it was too heavy for me.

LawnBoy89
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Yea, I'm really looking at the Redmax because if I have to mix the oil and the gas still, what is the point in getting a 4 cycle? More power? Even so it's heavier and more parts that can break (valves, camshaft, etc.) I think I might go take a look at some Echo's as well as the redmax trimmers.

S man
08-14-2005, 09:56 PM
The redmax is probably the better choice.

Lawn Wolf
08-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I have the Redmax 3000 and it's very light compared to others. I was surprised for a 30 cc engine to be that light. As far as power you cannot beat the 3000. Although I tried the stihl 85 and man that thing had some umps to it. I think I might consider buying the 110 with attachments. I need an extended pruner.

Jordan River
08-15-2005, 01:02 AM
hey maniac, thanks for the correction on the 4-mix. I'll look a little closer at them now b4 I make my decision. The Redmax just seems too lite, i.e. it likes to dig. I seem to be able to control the Stihl better. It may be the line I'm using, I don't know.