PDA

View Full Version : Grub damage or Fungus?

JB Option
08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
This summer I had a heavy infestation of japanese beetles. My wife and I literally watched them emerge from the ground and make a bee line for our plum trees one saturday morning. I eraticated them over the course of about 2 weeks with liquid sevin as well as some specracide. I had some grub damage and I treated the lawn for grubs and eggs with Grubex and some granular Specracide grub killer about this time last summer and again early this spring.

I am now starting to see browning and balding spots scattered throughout my front yard. My yard was started from seed with blue grass and rye and has often been mistaken for sod. It was at one time a real blue ribbon yard.

It now looks like ^%$@) and I am not sure if it is old grub damage or if my lawn is diseased. I even thought that it was possibly urine damage from the deer, but I have not found any deer droppings so I'm not so sure they are the culprits.

I did the digging on the outter edge of the dead spots and I found no grubs or dead beatles. The grass that is there is dead and I can just easily scrape it away yielding top soil. Anyone have any suggestions what it may be and what I can do about it? I also treated the lawn with a Fungicide at the first site of these because I thought it may have been brown spot or dollar patch.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

JB

RedEarthLab
08-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Some pesticides may cause pH changes, which are usually temporary, and induce mineral deficiencies and/or toxicity. Other causes could be root damage caused by the pest before your applications. I have used foliar sprays as a temporary fix until the root system can reestablish itself.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
What Part Of Nj ? I Am Close To Mercer Co Nj And Can Tell You That As Of This Week Those Spots Could Be Just About Anything.i Really Doubt It Be Jap Beatles Because They Are Still Flying . We Have Another Few Weeks Till They Emerge. It Could Be Their Cousin The European Chaffer...i Have Not Seen Many Of Those This Year Though. Post O Few Pics Of The Damage For Us. Are You A Lco Or A Homeowner ?

Soupy
08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
We have a lot of brown patch going on right now. It's been real humid around here.

JB Option
08-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Here are a few pictures of the damaged area vs. the undamaged area.

I have these brown spots scattered throughout the yard.

http://members.aol.com/jboption/damaged.jpg

http://members.aol.com/jboption/undamaged.jpg

GarPA
08-13-2005, 05:18 AM
I have the exact same problem with my own lawn. Dead patches here and there. In the nasty drought of 4 years ago, the grass went dormant but I didnt have these dead areas like I do this year and its not grubs or insect damage. Maybe its pythium blight as that disease is hard to notice and kills within the same day.What aggravates me is that like you, my lawn was one of the best in my neighborhood as I did a heavy aeration and seeding with tall fescue every fall.
I'm so disgusted with how it looks I might hire the company we sub our fert work to as I know I am not competent at diagnosing fungal diseases.

QuadRacer041
08-15-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm also from NJ and I have the same problem on my own lawn as well as some customer's lawns which are treated by a sub contractor I use.I have seen this on many lawns(not lawns that I maintane) in my work area.
I would really like to know what this could be and how to treat it.

QuadRacer041
08-15-2005, 07:13 AM
We have a lot of brown patch going on right now. It's been real humid around here.

How can that be treated?