PDA

View Full Version : Turf Management Degree???

regulator220
08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Do you guys think it is better to have some kind of degree when trying to send bids to like factories and bigger places?

I just wondered if maybe that would help get more jobs!

Thanks

Runner
08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
It depends on what aspect of work you are going to do. You do NOT go to college to mow. This is funny, because a friend of mine was just kidding around about that tonight. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Turf Management. This guy - can grow grass on a rock, - in someone's basement. He is nothing but awesome. He has BY FAR the nicest turfs in the whole county...and for many miles around. Excellent reputation, and is looked up to by many other companies. You couldn't meet a nicer guy (or funnier). I am blessed to have him as a friend, and as a mentor. If it weren't for him, I would've never got into lawn care (chem. and fert.). I would just been doing maintenance. Thanks, John.

regulator220
08-12-2005, 01:02 AM
I know that is silly if they would give a mowing job to someone with a degree over another person, but people are silly and i thought it may help!

Just figured i would ask. :)

WarEagleCRL
08-12-2005, 01:31 AM
I have a horticulture degree (landscape design installation and maintenance). I've been in business in this city since spring of 2000, with steady growth every year, mostly from word of mouth. I started adv in yellow pages the last 2 seasons. A fellow competitor and good freind pays big $ for his yellow page ad (1/2 page in color this year) and he has no degree. All I have is a 1" ad in the column but it says "horticulture graduate". I always ask new clients where they got my number, at least 90% that answer from the phone book say they called b/c of my degree. Not saying its necessary but it definately helps...I get a lot more calls than my buddy with the huge color ad.