PDA

View Full Version : Can Belts Stretch?

LandscapeSolutions
08-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Today I was mowing when my toro starting making a slapping sound from the deck. I took off the belt cover and discovered 'rubber dust' on the deck from the blade belt. The belt was what was slapping around....on what I do not know. I tried to put more tension on the belt, it made the slapping sound disappear. But still the belt seemed looser than it should have been.

A couple yards later the belt come off of the pulleys. I put it back on, but soon after it fell off again. I only had a couple yards left and just used my 36" on them all. Apparently Im going to need a new belt for the deck. The mower has about 2000 hours on it....I can only assume it is the original belt...I bought the mower used.

CAN BELTS STRETCH? Ive never had one stretch before? Do you think this was the cause of why the belt keep fying off?

PLEASE HELP!

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=LandscapeSolutions]Today I was mowing when my toro starting making a slapping sound from the deck. I took off the belt cover and discovered 'rubber dust' on the deck from the blade belt. The belt was what was slapping around....on what I do not know. I tried to put more tension on the belt, it made the slapping sound disappear. But still the belt seemed looser than it should have been.

A couple yards later the belt come off of the pulleys. I put it back on, but soon after it fell off again. I only had a couple yards left and just used my 36" on them all. Apparently Im going to need a new belt for the deck. The mower has about 2000 hours on it....I can only assume it is the original belt...I bought the mower used.

CAN BELTS STRETCH? Ive never had one stretch before? Do you think this was the cause of why the belt keep fying off?

yes belts can stretch it happens very often all you have to do is replace it it should only be around 20 dollars for a new one and your dealer should have one in stock

LandscapeSolutions
08-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks!!

Thats what I figured. I picked up this POS used for $400, installed a new engine, painted the entire mower, replaced the blade clutch....plus too many other parts to list. My final price was $1500. But the damn thing keeps giving me problems.......hopefully this will be the last thing to go wrong as I have gone through everything else BUT the deck.

hole in one lco
08-11-2005, 11:21 PM
if you got 2000 hr out of that belt ill take ten of them . I change all belts yearly

LandscapeSolutions
08-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I have no idea how many hours where on the belt.....I bought the mower with 1925 hours and now the meter reads 1940.

main street lawn service
08-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Where I work now we sell all sorts of belts and belting products. make sure you have enough tension on the belts, and also not too much tension. Plus over time they will stretch.

I have a ton of Lawn Care companies coming in every year to change out belts. Something that is just a common, yearly thing to do. Gates makes a stronger belt than a normal v-belt for lawn applications.

Also check with your local Industrial Distribution Company. Our belts are much less than other ones out there..SAve you guys some $$.

Contact me if you want more info. I don't want to post company names or my contact info on this page.

Thanks.

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't think that the blade belt is only going to be 20 bucks. When i bought an extra belt for my eXmark it was $52. I got it for $40 since i got it with the mower. And the belts say TORO on them since toro bought exmark. So i think that it will be the same for you! Sorry! Just my thoughts. If anyone knows where i can get cheaper belts, i will buy them there. Thanks!

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
08-12-2005, 11:16 PM
I don't think that the blade belt is only going to be 20 bucks. When i bought an extra belt for my eXmark it was $52. I got it for $40 since i got it with the mower. And the belts say TORO on them since toro bought exmark. So i think that it will be the same for you! Sorry! Just my thoughts. If anyone knows where i can get cheaper belts, i will buy them there. Thanks!

in my opinion your getting ripped off man i get the belt aftermarket from my lesco dealer and it only cost me 21.99 i looked at my reciept and i have a 52inch mower

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Today I was mowing when my toro starting making a slapping sound from the deck. I took off the belt cover and discovered 'rubber dust' on the deck from the blade belt. The belt was what was slapping around....on what I do not know. I tried to put more tension on the belt, it made the slapping sound disappear. But still the belt seemed looser than it should have been.

PLEASE HELP!

When you put your new belt on, make sure it's not too tight. You might have to loosen the tensioner a bit since you adjusted it to take the slack out of the old stretched belt. It shouldn't be so tight that there's no deflection.

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:38 PM
if you got 2000 hr out of that belt ill take ten of them . I change all belts yearly

do you change them whether they need it or not?
i only change mine when they break, i used to do that preventative maintenance crap, what a waste of money, I now get 100's more hours out of all my parts -
I have a belt that was supposed to give out in spring, it's still running -
every day my mower runs that belt is ONE more day I keep the $20 AND one more day before I need to replace the NEXT one.

splatz100
08-12-2005, 11:39 PM
do you change them whether they need it or not?
i only change mine when they break, i used to do that preventative maintenance crap, what a waste of money, I now get 100's more hours out of all my parts -
I have a belt that was supposed to give out in spring, it's still running -
every day my mower runs that belt is ONE more day I keep the $20 AND one more day before I need to replace the NEXT one.

You should keep saving on those $20 belts and buy an edger.... :p

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:42 PM

Buy all belts at napa and make sure to buy one BEFORE the old one breaks!
Best way to do it is bring the NEW one you just bought from the stealer to Napa and ask them for one AND tell them it is an AGRICULTURAL belt - This is VERY important, if you forget to tell them it's an ag belt, you will get an auto belt and it will break in less than 30 days so make sure you tell them it's an ag belt!

Trans belts, for example, cost $20 at the stealer and $12 at napa. You need either the 40w or the 41w, forget which one thou I think both fit, the 40 is the better size. Far as I know, they also carry blade belts and wheel belts.

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
You should keep saving on those $20 belts and buy an edger.... :p

I HAVE an edger, thanks.
But no i don't use it for grass-cutting because to me it is a waste of time, hence money. It's a thing of taste so who gives a f*k, the edger/no edger discussion is just another lame never-ending story you can find thread after thread of it right along the same lines of shirt / no shirt, mow + trim / trim + mow, etc, etc, etc, et. al., ad nauseaum... You ppls fill the forum with this garbage just as much as the troll stuff you rag on others about, phblt.

You want to use an edger, then use it.
I don't want to use one, so I don't.

End of story.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-13-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't want to use one, so I don't.
We noticed

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know if this guys belts are any good?
http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Lakes-Belts_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

LandscapeSolutions
08-17-2005, 04:44 AM
I replaced the belt today for about $44.00. I could have ordered the belt from a catolag for $25, but I didnt want to wait on shipping so I paid the dealer a visit.

Anyhow, the mower is much improved.

Just found out today that my mower blades only have a balde tip speed of 15,500 ft/min. No wonder why I cant thick fescue at a fast speed. That really blows.....Once I save up enough money this mower will be up for auction!

easycareacres
08-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Have you checked tensioners, what keeps belt tight / also you should have a spare in tool box. If not ya dont want down time.
One can say ive had bla bla hrs which is true but that to me only shows been mowing lollie grass so high nothing to work the belt.
Hrs dont mean jack **** its what you use it on each day.
Heeee ive ony once replaced a belt on the two mowers and many hrs I give them s hit. If cracked or any thing buy before it breaks.