PDA

View Full Version : Ways To Conserve Gasoline...........

LandscapeSolutions
08-12-2005, 03:47 AM
What are some ways you guys conserve gas? Well besides keeping a clean air filter, good spark plug, proper tire psi on vehicle/ trailer..........

Gas hit $2.49/ gallon here today and I just thought maybe I should try to conserve some gas. I don't drive as erratic anymore, thats a start.

Maybe I should buy a goat for every lawn....they are gasless and would keep the lawn under control......then no more driving....at all! Talk about a great solution!

Im just curious......any ideas?

jtkplc
08-12-2005, 09:27 AM
do you mean on equipment or truck? On my equipment i run amsoil motor oil. Less fricition means less fuel burned. On my truck i have switched gear lube to amsoil and noticed a slight improvement. I am soon going to switch transmission fluid and engine oil to amsoil as well as get an air intake system. I'm not liking $2.59/gal :angry:

willretire@40
08-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Just think about if you really need to go out or can you wait till later and do everything at one time. Car pool. My wife and i have a ram 1500 hemi and an expediton 5.4L and nothing else so we need to start watching how we drive and go run errands together. Also walk to the store instead of driving if it isnt that far. We all can use the exercise. Also if you still need to drive alot then make up the difference in money buy not buying that magazine at the store just b.c u see it or anything else for the matter and try to cut back going out to eat b.c remember you have to spend the gas to get there.

mownredneck
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I just put bigger tires on my truck on the same day they raise gas prices

RedWingsDet
08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
I dont really conserve. Ya I spend alot per month in gasoline. But its only a few extra dollars when they raise it a few pennys. Last month I was around 800 for fuel. Now when it gets to be 4 bucks a gallon, then i'll conserve, however that wont happen for another 5 years imo, but by then natural gas will be more efficent and cheaper. i feel that gasoline will be back in the low 2's by march. When I filled up yesterday it was 2.79

fcl01
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
stay home :rolleyes:

Mowgli
08-12-2005, 12:04 PM
do you mean on equipment or truck? On my equipment i run amsoil motor oil. Less fricition means less fuel burned. On my truck i have switched gear lube to amsoil and noticed a slight improvement. I am soon going to switch transmission fluid and engine oil to amsoil as well as get an air intake system. I'm not liking $2.59/gal :angry:

Hay, I saw you have Gravely Pro H 1536. How long have you had it?
Can you tell me some negatives and positives about this machine?

MarcSmith
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
I dont really conserve. Ya I spend alot per month in gasoline. But its only a few extra dollars when they raise it a few pennys. Last month I was around 800 for fuel. Now when it gets to be 4 bucks a gallon, then i'll conserve, however that wont happen for another 5 years imo, but by then natural gas will be more efficent and cheaper. i feel that gasoline will be back in the low 2's by march. When I filled up yesterday it was 2.79

The key though is to start implementing procedures and learning how best to conserve fuel before it hits $4 a gallon, that way conserving is a habit, not an inconvienece. I don't think there is much that could be done in our business to conserve a lot of fuel. I guess you could get a rear gear change with a better ratio, but that would only really help on long distance towing.....

The biggest thing you could do would be to really study your route and concentrate on increasing your route density and better shcedulig of the jobs. No spill Gas Containers.....think about getting a truck with a grass body or a box thay way you don't always need to pull a trailer..., But that would be BIG up front $$$$, Figure out ways to lighen your trailer load, only take what you really need...Like days that you only do pruning, maybe leave the trailer home. For those that are bagging and have to take stuff to the landfill, try to talk your clients into mulching.....

Nice thing about Goats...you get grass cutting and Fert in one application :)

smullen
08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
$2.55 GAl for the Cheap Stuff here in St. Louis and I've heard several people say its gonne hit $2.85 in the next week or so.... Not sure where they got that info though....

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
lower the throttle on ur machines when its not on thick or tall grass so the machines will save alittle and also stay of the gas in the truck lol

Gizmo_019
08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
The key though is to start implementing procedures and learning how best to conserve fuel before it hits $4 a gallon, that way conserving is a habit, not an inconvienece. I don't think there is much that could be done in our business to conserve a lot of fuel. I guess you could get a rear gear change with a better ratio, but that would only really help on long distance towing.....

Just remember, the higher the ratio ( lower the # ), the less acceleration you have to get the truck and trailer moving therefore requiring more gas :) the lower the ratio ( higher the # ) there is more acceleration but less top end. I don't know if a rear end change would be worth it IMO. I know most 1- tons come with 4.10s because they are made for pulling, but the most common is a 3.73, I think it is the best of both worlds, towing and crusing.

My truck has a 3.42:1 ratio with an overdrive trans, at 70 MPH it's pulling 2,000 RPM, at 55 it's about 1,600 RPM. It does take alittle more throtttle to get a trailer moving but when you get there it doesn't use that much, 1/2 ton '94 Chevy with a 350 at 18.05 MPG with a 23 gallon tank and the window sticker said 13 city 15 highway :cool: Pulling a trailer it gets about 17.75.

I don't pull my mower unless I have to. Like yesterday I had to go finish up trimming the cemetery and do some other odd jobs, so I had a wheelbarrow, shovel, hoe ( the tool ), trimmer, trimmer string, and a gas can in the back of my truck.

It just went from $2.23 to 2.45 here over night. :help:

MarcSmith
08-12-2005, 12:55 PM
I had a 94 Chevy Impala SS and I swaped out to 3.73. from 3.50 great for off th e line action but my mileage suffered.

Thats whyI said it you swaped to a lower gear it woudl help more on the long haul... But a gear swap is gonna set you back a few hudnred bills...... Drivingto to and form work I used to 65-70mph, I am now doing around 60. I was getting 18-20, now i'm getting around 22-24. it a 2.3 v6 chevy tracker (suziki grand vitara) I sold teh Impala a while back and got a mini-van :( but milage went from sub 20 to 25-27)

Gizmo_019
08-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Yea, because the motor was working harder to keep the car going 70 with a 3.73 than it did with a 3.50.

I'm young so I'm a fast driver, I go 65-70 going to school, but once you hit 72 in my truck it just falls on it's face and mileage goes to like 14 or worse. At 65-70 the Hp/torque ratio is great and it runs smooth without bogging down. I got my best milages ever going 65-70 mph on the way to school, but in town driving is a diff story.

Master Po
08-12-2005, 02:30 PM
I actually got rid of my big trailer and downgraded to a 5X8 Big Tex. This thing weighs nothing and carries one mower, one trimmer, one edger, one bp blower, and gas cans. Although I preferred the bigger trailer for debris removal, the 5X8 is all that I really need for right now. Come fall it will carry two aerators and one spreader. I will just put seed and fert in the truck.

Richard Martin
08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I guess you could get a rear gear change with a better ratio, but that would only really help on long distance towing.....

I just had the gears in my truck changed from 3.08 to 3.55 and picked up 1.5 MPG while towing. I'm pulling a 4,000+ load so now that I have more rear wheel torque available the engine isn't working as hard. Before when I would go up even a slight hill the tranny would downshift. Now it just stays in gear and goes up the hills.

MTR
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, those V8 will feel the "pain" real soon once gas hits $ 2.70 range, you are looking like min $ 800 gas bill just for the V 8, let alone your Z and WB and 2cyle stuff. These days has to learn economy and discipline, otherwise it upsides you economically.

jtkplc
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Hay, I saw you have Gravely Pro H 1536. How long have you had it?
Can you tell me some negatives and positives about this machine?

I bought it in march 05. The one problem i can think of is the front end likes to pop up on any incline, so you will need to get a counter weight of some sort. I went to my local metal place and got a piece.

It cuts good, i like the prosteer, very comfy, 8.5 MPH is very nice, i use it whenever i can, the J-pin height adjustment is quick and easy. I looked at every other walk behind, just like i looked at every other ZTR before i bought my Gravely 260Z, and i went with Gravely again.

Itsgottobegreen
08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
I bought a diesel truck :D
Next season my beloved standers will be no more. Two diesel powered grasshopper 61" 322D ZTRs. Just got to save some money on fuel. A 22hp kubota diesel burns about 1.1 gallons per hour. While a 25hp kawi burns about 1.9 to 2.4 per hour depending on load. Plus 61" cuts faster than a 52". So should save some more there. Don't worry to much guys. The standers will still get used days a week. We just got a few contracts for next year that are huge areas of grass. payup

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:07 PM
lower the throttle on ur machines when its not on thick or tall grass so the machines will save alittle and also stay of the gas in the truck lol

Yes I agree 100% - Same with the weedeater and blower - only enough throttle to do the job, sometimes the backpack clears light debris on idle.
With the weed-eater, I go 8-10 yards between refills, the backpack blower goes 3-4 days, sometimes a week or longer when things are slow.

One thing helped greatly is to remove the tailgate and install an airgate on the truck.

Another thing helped lots is to leave anything you do not absolutely need for the day at HOME - This means no extra mowers, no extra tools just in case - If you don't need it, home it stays - I took over 500 lbs. off my truck over time, and it helps! Gas up everything the night before and leave the gas cans at home - That's close to 100lbs if you carry 2x5gallons plus a 2.5 gal mix. I find the ONLY thing might need a little fuel is after 7-8 yards, sometimes the weed-eater runs low so I carry a QUART of mix in an old oil bottle for just those days AND a syphon hose in the toolbox so I can x-fer fuel from the truck to the wb if need be, but I've never had to use it.

Also I wrote an article some time ago, a LOT of these things help increase mileage in addition to performance (esp. wires, cap + rotor):
http://atopqualitysite.com/10steps.htm

Proper driving techniques that help:
COAST a ways ahead of a red light - MOST people zoom right up to the light and switch from gas to brake at full speed limit... Learn to coast so you don't even touch the brakes until you're below 25mph in a 45mph zone, for example. IF you can time the light like 1/4 mile or so up the road by slowing down EARLY and just cruise along at like 20-30mph (like in a 45mph zone) a lot of times the light turns green and you can mosey on through.
I've taken my truck from 10mpg to 14mpg, and it's a 1986 carbureted d-250, you guys should be seeing at least 16mpg in your EFIs.
Accelerate REAL SLOW - From a dead stop, Give it just enough gas to do the speed limit (guesstimate, the closer the better), then hold the pedal in that position indefinitely - It is a hella trick, took me a year or better to perfect and it takes a slew of minutes to get the truck up to speed but it helps.
In my truck, the slower I drive, the better the mpg, period. So I'm not afraid to drive real nice and slow, so long the traffic isn't heavy and doing 70mph, that is.
On hills - Let the truck speed up a bit downhill and let it slow down a bit going uphill - On steep hills, the variation ought to be around +/- 10mph both ways of the speed limit. Again it takes time to perfect, you don't want to find yourself at 20mph in a 55mph zone on a long incline, half-way up, so to speak, but if it's that steep...

Drive it like it's an 18-wheeler, or a train - that helped me dig it.

Somebody once told me if you can drive without EVER using your brakes, you will do much better. If you can drive using the throttle as your ONLY speed control, then you are a conservative driver (now don't get funny on me, the guy was talking about coasting and letting up on the gas a ways ahead of time as a means of slowing).
hope is help

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I actually got rid of my big trailer and downgraded to a 5X8 Big Tex. This thing weighs nothing and carries one mower, one trimmer, one edger, one bp blower, and gas cans. Although I preferred the bigger trailer for debris removal, the 5X8 is all that I really need for right now. Come fall it will carry two aerators and one spreader. I will just put seed and fert in the truck.

Where did you find yours, was it under 500 bucks?

See I have been thinking along those lines with my 6x12 to downgrade - But my concern is it costs almost 1,000 dollars for the 5x8, then it would take YEARS for me to make this up in fuel savings...

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:19 PM

The biggest thing you could do would be to really study your route and concentrate on increasing your route density and better shcedulig of the jobs. No spill Gas Containers.....think about getting a truck with a grass body or a box thay way you don't always need to pull a trailer..., But that would be BIG up front $$$$, Figure out ways to lighen your trailer load, only take what you really need...Like days that you only do pruning, maybe leave the trailer home. For those that are bagging and have to take stuff to the landfill, try to talk your clients into mulching.....

Nice thing about Goats...you get grass cutting and Fert in one application :)

I am with you 100%, I've been working on improving fuel mileage since before 9/11 when fuel was hitting 1.50's and up because I get tired of it, too.

It takes years to develop the right skillz so the sooner you start, the better. I mean, how can you beat 7mpg to 14mpg, that's literally DOUBLE the fuel mileage! But granted, I switched trucks - Still, in the new one I went from 11mpg to 14, that's 20% and it makes a difference, you are correct, at $4/gallon that's 80 cents per gallon, some of you can forget ragging on me for pumping super, the measly 12 cents more / gallon it costs me to pump the 93 octane I've already saved 10 times over and more.

Look at it this way: if your truck gets 12mpg and mine gets 14mpg, then for every 84 miles WE drive, yours consumes 7 gallons while mine consumes 6. And again, my truck is carbureted, you efi guys should be able to get 16mpg.

KINGjosh
08-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Get your route tighter!

topsites
08-12-2005, 11:29 PM
My truck has a 3.42:1 ratio with an overdrive trans, at 70 MPH it's pulling 2,000 RPM, at 55 it's about 1,600 RPM. It does take alittle more throtttle to get a trailer moving but when you get there it doesn't use that much, 1/2 ton '94 Chevy with a 350 at 18.05 MPG with a 23 gallon tank and the window sticker said 13 city 15 highway :cool: Pulling a trailer it gets about 17.75.

I don't pull my mower unless I have to. Like yesterday I had to go finish up trimming the cemetery and do some other odd jobs, so I had a wheelbarrow, shovel, hoe ( the tool ), trimmer, trimmer string, and a gas can in the back of my truck.

It just went from $2.23 to 2.45 here over night. :help:

You got the right idea, some the guys here get like 10mpg with theirs and my fuel is now 2.65 but you see, hehehe, I am just now raising my prices which I resisted doing thus far :)

One other thing helps me is some my yards the road is on a hill so I either coast TO the yard with the engine off (I turn it off as soon as I can see that I can coast to it) OR I coast-start in neutral and don't start the motor until needed. Just be aware of the loss of power in your steering and remember you will have a limited number of brake-pedal applications available.

European fuel-saving tricks:
It takes 20 seconds of idle to 'pay' for the fuel used by the engine when starting, thus any time you even suspect the car may sit for 30 seconds or more, turn the motor OFF. You may think you will replace more starters but I've been doing this one for years and haven't replaced the first one yet. Obviously, OFF at railroad crossing when train is happening, and please don't EVER let the car idle in front of the store while you run it, turn it off, if you're double-parked the cop don't care if the engine's running far as the ticket is concerned. And in europe, some ppls will curse you OUT if you leave the car running for no good reason... To be honest, I wish we'd do it some here.

If you have a mpg - gauge in your outfit (any of them) USE it! Learn to drive by using the mpg gauge - doing this helped me learn some new tricks.

Do NOT drive the truck like it's a car - drive it like it's an 18-wheeler.
ok now I'm repeating myself

KINGjosh
08-13-2005, 12:28 AM
One other thing helps me is some my yards the road is on a hill so I either coast TO the yard with the engine off.

ROFLMAO! your crazy bro.

hole in one lco
08-13-2005, 12:46 AM
This is why im glad iv got the 14hp on the lescos and the 305 in the truck. I only trim edge when it needs it . The mower is my blower this year.

waffletown20
08-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Lighten your load. The people towing walkbehind and a trimmer on a 4x8 are getting way better mileage than the crew towing 3 Z's 2 WB's and mountain of grass clippings. If you don't need to bring a mower, than don't!

Gizmo_019
08-13-2005, 02:58 AM
You can also use a vacuum gauge to get good mieage. The more vacuum the better mileage.

My truck is an automatic so I can't shut it down and coast like that as easy as you with standards. It's not good to turn without power steering if you have it, it will put unneeded wear and tear on the P/S pump. My power brake booster got a pin hole the other day, it sounds like air brakes from the inside when you push them, but it has no effect on stopping.

I've also debated whether to cut the catilytic converter off my truck or not. I have the converter and a Flowmaster and it gets 18.06 MPg, but I've heard ppl cutting them off get 2-3 mpg better, or 2-3 mpg worse.I'm probably buying another different Flowmaster tomarrow from a friend because this one has gotten annoying to me and I hope it keep the same mileage. I have ran my truck with a generic muffler and it got 15 MPG, no muffler just converter and it got 16.5, and this Flow it gets 18.06.

Good basic tune up with a good flowing muffler and air intake system are keys to good mileage.

GarPA
08-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Replace the spark plugs. Ford says the platinum plugs do not need replaced often, if ever. When I was whining to my mechanic he said I should replace them. He was right as mpg improved by 10% immediately. I also find that adding fuel inj cleaner every other month helps a little.

We pull an enclosed trailer which is really heavy even empty but the suggestion of carrying only the absolute necessitites is a good point.
This weekend there will be some stuff coming out of the trailer

ANyone know if using a mesh tailgate would help much given I have all that air resistance back there with the enclosed trlr?

ynvvbr
08-13-2005, 08:40 AM
We spent over $4,000 on fuel last month alone, UGH I hate high gas prices. Heck i was complaing last year abt the $1.89....guess this is what we get. We switched some trucks to diesel which helped not cheaper gas, but pulling trailers it helps and hauling. As for anything else I dont know is it really worth changing plugs? filters , etc? anyone have an idea how much % wise the saving could be?

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-13-2005, 09:42 AM
I just put bigger tires on my truck on the same day they raise gas prices
A few years ago I put a lift kit and oversize tires on my truck. Fortunately, I still have the stock wheels and tires that came off. I think they're going back on SOON! :D

Baseballer1100
08-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I saw a thing on ups where they work in an oval and they only make right turns also they turn the cars off and they now the exact and most effecient route without getting lost. So if you can figure out how to all these things you will save some gas.

MarcSmith
08-15-2005, 07:44 AM
If your gonna conserve fuel, at least do it legally....

Don't cut off your Catalytic converter......whats the point, other than money, in trying to save fuel if you gonna dump more hydrocarbons into the atmosphere and send us to an early grave....

The mesh tailgates http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200405/ai_n9439015 actually hurt milage. of course a tuneu(sp) cover woud be best, but kinda hard to haul debris....

Coasting with the engine on or off with the car in Nuetral is illegal in the state of VA, and propoably most other states as well....Plus you also loose power steering and power brakes, making it harder to take an evasive action should you need to....

Taller tires will help with effeciency as it will have the net effect of putting in a pseudo overdrive., but if they won't clear your fenders then your screwed...

Id never hop out of the car and leave it running to run to grab something out of a store.....you're making too easy to steal....

Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy
08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
How about a padlock for those gascans? I had one disapear on me when I was in the backyard mowing, when I went to go blow off the sidewalks and driveway, it was gone! Bad enough I was out a gallon, but the can cost more than the gas did. :S

And over sized tires? That's a poorman's overdrive. Did that already. Keep that up redneck, and by christmas, you'll be driving bigfoot.

craigs lawncare
08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, I was doing an inspection of my truck a few weeks ago and it looks like I will be needing new exhaust in the distant future. When I do, I am getting duals put on. My brother had it added to his truck and he noticed an improvement of 2+ miles per gallon.
About the best thing we can do to save gas is check your tire pressure often and drive slower when you can.
I like the idea of letting your weed whip idle as you use it instead of running it full throttle. I pretty much always run mine at idle, but I can't tell you how many times I see lawn contractors just screaming those poor little motors. I would think your equipment would last longer as well.
I can see a day when equipment like weed trimmers and leaf blowers are battery powered like cordless drills and what not. Just slap another battery in and your good to go.

Craig

MarcSmith
08-15-2005, 03:27 PM
I can see a day when equipment like weed trimmers and leaf blowers are battery powered like cordless drills and what not. Just slap another battery in and your good to go.
Craig

If they can giev it the power that the 2 stroke has then I'm for it.... even if it weighed the same but i think that a bit in the furture, beside you gotta have some place to dispose those nickel metal hydride and lead batteries.... Ever priced an 18 volt Dewalt battery....50-60 bucks. plus imagine trying to keep em charged all day......

topsites
08-15-2005, 03:36 PM
You can also use a vacuum gauge to get good mieage. The more vacuum the better mileage.
I've also debated whether to cut the catilytic converter off my truck or not. I have the converter and a Flowmaster and it gets 18.06 MPg, but I've heard ppl cutting them off get 2-3 mpg better, or 2-3 mpg worse.I'm probably buying another different Flowmaster tomarrow from a friend because this one has gotten annoying to me and I hope it keep the same mileage. I have ran my truck with a generic muffler and it got 15 MPG, no muffler just converter and it got 16.5, and this Flow it gets 18.06.

Good basic tune up with a good flowing muffler and air intake system are keys to good mileage.

On those notes, the more GAS you give it, the lower your vacuum - Full throttle = ZERO vacuum.
Do NOT cut the cat out, you can get seriously fined for doing so while this ALSO affects your backflow pressure and CAN hurt your mileage IF the truck has some devices dependent on said pressure...
A much better investment would be to convert a single exhaust to dual, with headers. You can get this done for 400-600 dollars if you shop around.

Also I run 8mm Taylor wires and high-performance cap + rotor. For some reason the HO ignition coil makes the wires arc but on my old truck I was able to use an HO coil without further ado and more spark helps a LOT.
Get an open-air filter for carb trucks or one those aftermarket whatever-is-called performance air filters for the efis, this also helps.
REMOVE the tailgate. Lowering it doesn't help much but removing it sure does.

Far as smaller trailers, hell you still gotta spend serious money and they're not that much lighter and too small a trailer is a P O S make you look unpro.

topsites
08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
If your gonna conserve fuel, at least do it legally....

Don't cut off your Catalytic converter......whats the point, other than money, in trying to save fuel if you gonna dump more hydrocarbons into the atmosphere and send us to an early grave....

The mesh tailgates http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200405/ai_n9439015 actually hurt milage. of course a tuneu(sp) cover woud be best, but kinda hard to haul debris....

Coasting with the engine on or off with the car in Nuetral is illegal in the state of VA, and propoably most other states as well....Plus you also loose power steering and power brakes, making it harder to take an evasive action should you need to....

Taller tires will help with effeciency as it will have the net effect of putting in a pseudo overdrive., but if they won't clear your fenders then your screwed...

Id never hop out of the car and leave it running to run to grab something out of a store.....you're making too easy to steal....

The mesh tailgates MAY not save fuel but you don't lose anything but time by removing the tail to see how it does, you can install the mesh at a later date OR put the gate back on if it doesn't improve. Took me like 5-10 minutes to get the gate off.

Of course coasting is illegal but so is the california stop which 90 percent of drivers do daily... Unfortunately, california stops also save fuel.

topsites
08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
If they can giev it the power that the 2 stroke has then I'm for it.... even if it weighed the same but i think that a bit in the furture, beside you gotta have some place to dispose those nickel metal hydride and lead batteries.... Ever priced an 18 volt Dewalt battery....50-60 bucks. plus imagine trying to keep em charged all day......

Yes and guess what is being USED to produce the electricity to charge said batteries? In a lot of cases, it's a petrol power plant.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
imagine trying to keep em charged all day......
No problem. We'll just plug them into our solar powered chargers :D

Del9175
08-15-2005, 06:18 PM
My stander had a seven gallon gas tank on it so I switched it to a five gallon. I'm currently trying to find a smaller one for my truck. Every little bit helps.

GarPA
08-15-2005, 08:06 PM
since we are all trying to be as fuel efficient with all of our equipment, it might be of value if we could post here how many hours of runtime per gallon we get by engine make/hp. My 23 Kaw seems to be more thirsty the past couple of months but I honestly dont know how many minutes I should be getting out of a gallon. If I remember correctly I checked it a year or so ago and I was getting around 45min/gal....I think. It had just been tuned up which is why I benchmarked it back then.

Anyone else care to note how much time they get per gallon? (we run at full throttle so we dont damage the hydros)

Rayray
08-15-2005, 09:28 PM
My stander had a seven gallon gas tank on it so I switched it to a five gallon. I'm currently trying to find a smaller one for my truck. Every little bit helps.

What did u do that for?? how is that gonna help u conserve gas?? how can that help u at all??

Gizmo_019
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Del9175

What did u do that for?? how is that gonna help u conserve gas?? how can that help u at all??

My thoughts exactly, I can see in the truck trying to cut wieght by alittle, but o nthe mower, why?

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I've been only filling my truck's tanks half full for weight reduction but I can't see changing a tank! ;)

Eclipse
08-16-2005, 01:07 AM

This may be true but it depends on your gear ratio and driving characteristics (city or highway, towing or empty)

In town I never run in OD anyway. It lugs the motor out away from it's peak torque and is also hard on auto trannies.

strickdad
08-16-2005, 01:15 AM
I just put bigger tires on my truck on the same day they raise gas prices laughin, they seem like they raise prices every day, by now you must have some really big tires.

MarcSmith
08-16-2005, 07:20 AM
But but short filling your tanks, or putting smaller tanks on your truck, you are actually being less efficient, as you now have to stop more often for gas....., and you are being less productions, as you are spending more time starting, stopping and fueling up....

Del9175
08-16-2005, 08:56 AM

It costs less to fill up. Actually I was just trying to be funny with my original comment and with this one. I know that smaller tanks don't make a difference.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
We have completely stopped using drive-thru windows. No more sitting in line waiting for my turn. Go in an get what you need. Lines are usually shorter inside anyway.....

Derek

PMLAWN
08-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Always mow down hill??

Yes we should always conserve fuel and work to be slimmer in all parts of the business but, Always remember to pass on the cost to the customer because if you do not any small percent of extra cost is always eating 100% out of profit. Keep that in mind.

Just look at the airlines and how they run their business ( always low-balling) and see where they are.
The cost of doing business should always be accounted for and passed on the the customer.

Woody82986
08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Actually I wouldn't just be putting half a tank of gas in my truck at a time. I get way better mileage on a full tank to a half tank than I do on a half tank to empty. I don't know why, but I do. Maybe somebody can explain this to me.

Richard Martin
08-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Actually I wouldn't just be putting half a tank of gas in my truck at a time. I get way better mileage on a full tank to a half tank than I do on a half tank to empty. I don't know why, but I do. Maybe somebody can explain this to me.

It's because gas gauge senders don't move straight up and down as the fuel is used and replaced. The sender is basically a metal arm with a float on one end and a pivot and rheostat on the other end. Since the arm moves in a arc the closer it gets to the bottom of the tank the slower it moves in relation to the rheostat. A half a tank of gas on most vehicles is actually at about the 5/8 spot on the gas gauge.

Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy
08-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Actually, a full tank of gas really does get you better fuel economy. As you drive, you hit bumps and dips, cornering, stopping and accelerating, all of which contributes to fuel sloshing around in the tank. As it sloshes, some molecules will break free of the fluid surface in the form of vapor. This is a form of evaporation. The more airspace available in the tank, the more vaporization will occur. Most gasoline vehicles (all new cars produced in the last 20 years or so) are equipped with a charcoal canister under the hood that ties into the tank to capture these vapors and use them to assist starting up the vehicle. Problem is, your vehicle will ONLY use these vapors while starting, not while the vehicle is running. (Engine vacuum to the tank would cause the tank to collapse, or even suck raw fluid fuel during hard maneuvering, flooding the motor) That is why sometimes when you go to open the gas cap, you will hear a hissing sound, that's all the extra vaporized fuel escaping.

On a side note, don't top the tanks on a vehicle equipped with a charcoal canister; liquid fuel could back flow into the canister and soak it, making it extremely flammable, also causing the vehicle to be difficult to start due to flooding

MarcSmith
08-18-2005, 06:54 AM
No to mention, fuel in the canister usually means canister replacement which is usually $$$$

Richard Martin
08-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Actually, a full tank of gas really does get you better fuel economy. As you drive, you hit bumps and dips, cornering, stopping and accelerating, all of which contributes to fuel sloshing around in the tank. As it sloshes, some molecules will break free of the fluid surface in the form of vapor. This is a form of evaporation. The more airspace available in the tank, the more vaporization will occur.

Hmm... Where did you hear most of this because EPA data doesn't back any of it up.

It is true that fuel will vaporize in the tank but it has nothing to do with sloshing around. Fuel loss in a vehicle is attributed mainly to the fuel heating up. Diurnal losses occur when vapors escape from the gas tank during the day due to increases in temperature and pressure while the vehicle is parked. You also have hot soak emissions that happen when the heat from the engine increases gasoline evaporation through hoses and fittings following vehicle operation, running loss evaporation arise when the gasoline in the fuel system is heated while the vehicle is operated and resting losses result when gasoline continuously permeates rubber and plastic components in the fuel system.

Additionally these losses are so small per vehicle that even if you were to eliminate the losses you still wouldn't notice a difference in fuel mileage. The problems with air pollution arise when you put all of the losses from millions of cars together.

grasswhacker
08-18-2005, 08:21 PM
What are some ways you guys conserve gas? Well besides keeping a clean air filter, good spark plug, proper tire psi on vehicle/ trailer..........

Gas hit $2.49/ gallon here today and I just thought maybe I should try to conserve some gas. I don't drive as erratic anymore, thats a start.

Maybe I should buy a goat for every lawn....they are gasless and would keep the lawn under control......then no more driving....at all! Talk about a great solution!

Im just curious......any ideas?

Severe droughts are great for saving fuel. I've saved a bunch this year, but with some rain recently I guess my petro savings will diminish.

MarcSmith
08-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Severe droughts are great for saving fuel. I've saved a bunch this year.

But if you are like some, and you bill by the cut....you are not making as much either....Id rather make it and have it rather than the other way around.