PDA

View Full Version : 50 hp Dixie Chopper

Fubba
08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Has anyone ever used one of these? I was just looking at them on their website, and it might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. The body on these things doesn't look like it's very well made. The motor sure is huge though.

valleylawn79
08-12-2005, 09:43 AM
its not a bad machine if you you are talking about the silver eagle series...? light commercial

valleylawn79
08-12-2005, 02:03 PM
its not a bad machine if you you are talking about the silver eagle series...? light commercial
my bad; i misread your post; thought it said 20 hp. that 50 is a beast and will cut anything almost!!!! saw one last week throwing grass 20 feet from the deck. it may not be as cosmetic as some but it will cut if you like that setup.

Richard Martin
08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I was just looking at them on their website, and it might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. The body on these things doesn't look like it's very well made. The motor sure is huge though.

They may not look very good to some people but they will cut grass like there's no tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about the strength of the mower either. They come with a lifetime frame warranty. The frame is so strong that Art Evans, the owner of Dixie Chopper, built not one but two 175 hp turbine powered Dixies just to prove how much power the frame can handle. The Dixies can be seen at various expos and shows.

TClawn
08-12-2005, 03:10 PM
dixies design have never made cosmetics a high priority (see the run behind), but they make machienes that cut grass very well. they must be doing something right....

Fubba
08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I wasn't actually looking at buying it. lol. I just was screwing around on their site this morning and saw it. I was just wondering if anyone had used one. 50 hp is just ridiculous. That's about as much power as a geo.

TClawn
08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
it must be awfull on the gas consumption though.

iluvscag
08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I seen one cut a hay field going 10 miles an hour. :)

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-12-2005, 06:06 PM
ive got a 54 HP twin engine machine....and it will cut anything you can give it and go up the steepest grades imagineable

But the fuel consuption leaves much to be desired....im talking somewhere in the neiboorhood of 3 gal/hour.....we have several jobs we need it for and are the reasons that we bought it and those are basically the only jobs its getting used on

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Five Star, post some pics of it. Lots of them! Thanks.

rodfather
08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
A 50 hp mower doesn't interest me in the least bit. My 325D Toros can cut just as well and stuff just as high too.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-12-2005, 06:37 PM
heres a couple....BTW thats not me driving

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
like i said its a nice machine...but it has its jobs that it gets used on and thats it....the singe engine DCs handle the rest

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the pics, thats awsome. Love the truck and trailer too! The pics show how big and probably heavy the machine really is. Function over looks! Even though i think it looks pretty cool!

Gizmo_019
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
That pic really shows how big it is. It dwarfs the operator! Bet it's heavy and yea I could imagine it drinks tons of gas. It's one of thing that would be cool to have just to say you have it, unless your mowing big open spaces like you are with it.

shortgut
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Has anyone ever used one of these? I was just looking at them on their website, and it might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. The body on these things doesn't look like it's very well made. The motor sure is huge though.
kick as- mower but light on frt end I demoed one last season but what I was cutting the Scag mower did a better job to me plus the controls on Dixie Chopper we very touchy plus the price was a little too high

turfmgr
08-12-2005, 07:40 PM
DC has always been about horsepower, never about cut quality. The deck design leaves much to be desired, especially when compared to Exmark and Scag ZTR's. In my opinion, DC puts all that hp in to compensate for a poor circulating deck to force the grass out, where the engineering of other decks on the market requires less hp to get the job done.

Likestomow
08-12-2005, 08:03 PM
DC has always been about horsepower, never about cut quality. The deck design leaves much to be desired, especially when compared to Exmark and Scag ZTR's. In my opinion, DC puts all that hp in to compensate for a poor circulating deck to force the grass out, where the engineering of other decks on the market requires less hp to get the job done.

Please tell us what you base these expert statements upon.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
say what you want about cut quality but you can got on my web site, Erics site and many others and see the quality of the Dixie chopper cut.

www.elmlawnsite.com
www.fivestarlawncare.com
www.finelineslawn.com

As far a Scag giving a quality cut i have never seen that....
honestly in my area the only people that use scags are the municipalitys and the africans....there must be a scag dealer in the getto or something

lawnmaniac883
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
LOL, yea five star, the dealer in the ghetto is called the pawn shop. Were the lawns in the pics all done by dixie's cuz if so the damn that is nice.

splatz100
08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Yea all those guys swear by Dixies. Eric Elm has passed from this life but he was amazing at what he did. I might try and get a demo in on the dixie before I buy my husltlers, even though I have my mind set on the hustler.

rodfather
08-12-2005, 09:49 PM
If they are so great, then why are they vertually non-existant north of the Mason Dixon Line? In 11 years I have seen 0.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Up Here In Pa The Dixie Was A Hot Item Back In The Day. The Dealers Though Far And Few.hard To Get Service. Now The Exmarks,hustlers,bobcats And Toros Seem To Be All I See. The Exception Is That The Townships All Buy The Dixie And Beat The Cr*p Out Of Em.they Do Have A Reputation Of Being The Toughest Around But Since They Go So Fast A Lot Of Guys Mow At Light Speed And The Result Is A Poor Job.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-13-2005, 10:45 AM
LOL, yea five star, the dealer in the ghetto is called the pawn shop. Were the lawns in the pics all done by dixie's cuz if so the damn that is nice.

every single lawn in those pics were cut with a DC

Mr.Mow-It-All
08-15-2005, 12:05 AM
hey............

gorrell
08-15-2005, 12:34 AM
I've got four of the 50hp diesels and the XXWD5000-72 remains unchallenged, in my opinion, as the leader in acres per hour for a 72" machine...............Lynn

splatz100
08-15-2005, 12:51 AM
gorrell,

did you only attach one photo in the zipped file? do you have any pics of the actual mower??

turfmgr
08-18-2005, 11:06 PM
every single lawn in those pics were cut with a DC

any mower out there can stripe good fescue, rye, or bluegrass....which you are mowing, my parents have a fescue yard and when i go home, i mow their yard with their 42" Scotts tractor, and i stripe the hell out of it. im talking about the size of clippings and how the deck lifts and cuts the grass. once again, ANY MOWER WILL STRIPE, especially if you go over the same couple sets of lines week in and week out.

Shady Brook
08-19-2005, 07:54 AM
This thread caught my eye as I have a brand new Flatlander on my trailer right now, as my Super Z is in the shop for repair. I have used most of the major brands with the majority of my time on Tigers and Super Z's, or Super mini's, so I have some good experience to compare. I have had out for multiple days a Flatlander, Extream mow machine, 26hp diesel chopper, and the 52 Silver eagle for a few days as well. I prefered the Silver eagle for operater ease of use.

The big Choppers do not fit me as I am short. There is no seat adjustment...what is that all about? The deck lift is silly no matter how you want to defend it. The fact that you can only go in increments "around" 1/2" per click is not a bonus in this day and age. These machines will not hold hills sideways that other major Z's will. The claim that they are the fastest mower is goofy as well. My hustlers would run away from the Extream Mow machine. My dealer even had his guys race one with a Super mini, and the mini would win easlily evey time. I know they say they cut faster, not transport faster, but I tell you my Mini would run from one if the grass were not 8" tall. To me they have terrible traction. At times I think the Turf Boss tires tear worse then regular Z tires, but at other times I think less because they slip and break traction so easily where they do not damage because they can not grip.

Ok, to the important stuff...the cut. I don't care what it looks like, or how long is will last because you have all the filters and that manual blade engagement..."that is a pain to engage, and something to fall over when getting on and off...", what is important is how it cuts and discharges.

In ideal condtions with a single blade I think they leave a beautiful cut and beautiful stripe. There is no disputing this, and I would not doubt it is the best looking stripe of any mower out there. If there is moderate to heavy growth, or damp conditions they leave alot of residue. They do not clump or blow chucks like some other riders in wet conditions, but they don't grind stuff or hide it very well. It is such a free flowing deck that the stuff is cut one time and discharged, similar to a SFS deck. I have went over and over a lawn to make the grass disapear, and it just moves the clippings around. I was so irritated yesterday I about lost my mind trying to hide clippings. I nearly loaded it on the trailer and got off my 36" stander because it would have done a much better job, just would have taken alog time.

I respect Eric and love the pictures he posted. I have tried and tried to like the Chopper, maybe because Eric and his work were so neat. I also respect the opinions of Richard Martin, and do not mean any disrespect to him or others who are happy with Choppers. For myself....I can never see owning one. I would rather take out a walkbehind then a chopper if there is any substancial growth. You could give me a 100hp diesel chopper if they made one, and I would only be interested in selling it for what I could get.

That is how I see it.

HK45Mark23
08-20-2005, 10:20 PM
You know it is funny you could not get it to hold a hill.

I actually can post pictures of the Dixie Chopper in action on steep inclines with perfect lines. You can see in the pictures that the grass is even wet. I have pictures of the Run Behind and a variety of full size Z Turn Dixie Choppers that are on a hill or that have rendered stripes straight as a beam of sun light on steep hills.

If it was so that they “could not hold a hill” then it would show up in the pictures in the form of crooked lines.

Every one knows that a Dixie Chopper is a fine mower as is almost all professional grade mowers.

As is any thing you must learn to operate the apparatus. May it be possible that most of the problems any one has with any thing be it a mower, trimmer, or what ever is that it is operator error.

How can some people get straight lines and perfect quality cuts, those kinds of cuts that the Walker people boast about with a lowly ugly Dixie Chopper?

Matter of fact I have not ever seen better cuts than the ones posted by the Late Dixie Chopper Mow Master Eric Elm.

splatz100
08-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Lets see some pics!!!