PDA

View Full Version : "if you don't cut my grass".......

bobbygedd
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
the lawns here are fried, hammered. we cut em all last week, and did more harm than good. a day or 2 later, u can see the brown tire marks on the property,looks real bad. after mowing perhaps 15 this week, i decided to pack it in. i changed the recording on my machine, explaining that we are cancelling mowing this week. one guy called and said, "if you do not mow me, i will have to get someone else." i aint down with threats, and i aint loading up and driving over for one lawn. would u cut his? call him back? send a fruit basket? what?

leadarrows
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Well I would call him and explain sense he dosent have the sense to know for his self. Some how I get the feeling that's not what your going to do though.
It's different for LCO that have more than enough business than it is for those who really need every client. You seem to have clients to spare.

fcl01
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
tell him to go ahead and call someone. i dont do alot of mowing, just enough to get by between installs, one of 15 of the accounts has irrigation. her's is green, all the others are brown and havn't grown much. told her flat out that im not loading up to mow one little $33 lawn. very little trimming and only takes 10 min. to mow so i offered to double cut next time im there. she wasnt happy but she accepted my offer. kept the account as long as i wanted it. which wasnt long! :p

main street lawn service
08-12-2005, 03:53 PM
the lawns here are fried, hammered. we cut em all last week, and did more harm than good. a day or 2 later, u can see the brown tire marks on the property,looks real bad. after mowing perhaps 15 this week, i decided to pack it in. i changed the recording on my machine, explaining that we are cancelling mowing this week. one guy called and said, "if you do not mow me, i will have to get someone else." i aint down with threats, and i aint loading up and driving over for one lawn. would u cut his? call him back? send a fruit basket? what?
You know it seems that there are just some people that are always looking to ***** about something. That customer of yours probably knows that it would be bad to cut the lawn at this point, but since he is "paying you" to do a service for him you must obey him at all times..

Maybe you should let him know you will cut it but hold no responsibilities for any damage that happens to his lawn as a result of it. When I worked for Chemlawn (6 years ago) we used to advise all of our customers that water was a crucial part of the treatments for the lawn. No water=brown grass..

Maybe a little note in billing, or the contracts (if offered) to let them know about no rain skip days or something like that.

Hope it all works out for you. If the guy is irate still..Cut him loose. Let someone else deal with the headache.

Jeff

jtrice11
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM

I'd go cut it, ya got nothing else to do. THen let him know not to threaten you.

Remsen1
08-12-2005, 05:59 PM
but since he is "paying you" to do a service for him you must obey him at all times..Jeff

You will be destroyed for that one :)

Who wants first whacks?

Precision
08-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Sir, we have two choices here. My way or the highway.

Perhaps prettied up a little, but the bottom line is I am the professional and we do it my way.

some thing like this:

You and I both know that if I mow your grass and the heat and tension created from the tires kills the grass where the mower passes, you will be irrate and want to sue me. I am doing us both a favor by eliminating the need to go to court over this. It is always your right to get someone else to mow your lawn. Let me know so I can call someone on my waiting list to take your place.

Ryan Lightning
08-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Maybe he watered after you mowed last week?

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Almost all the people in my neighbor hood don't have sprinkler systems but they go out with an occelating or impact sprinkler at least once a day, maybe that is what this guy did.

The mayor
08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Bobby, have you priced fruit baskets lately. Just a card should do.(with the last invoice) :D

slugo
08-12-2005, 11:12 PM
you dont need the hassle from people like that its all ready been to long of a summer and there are plenty of other lawn services that dont care how ther how there customers yards appear

fga
08-12-2005, 11:18 PM
you dont need the hassle from people like that its all ready been to long of a summer and there are plenty of other lawn services that dont care how ther how there customers yards appearthat'd be me. I personally could care less if they look good. as long as the customer is happy and content... and the check clears.

musselman
08-13-2005, 01:27 AM
What does your 4 or was it 6 page contract say? If it says you will cut each week and he will pay XX amount and he insist you do it then follow thru with your contract. If no growth weeks are covered just refer him to the contract.
If he is a good customer and he is concerned about paying you for doing nothing then prorate him the diffrence it may be the best route. If hes a PITA let him find someone else.

topsites
08-13-2005, 02:10 AM
ahhh hell with it, take 5 minutes and call the guy and do the butt-kiss routine and hold his hand until he feels better. It IS a free thing that don't require much actual work, you do it with a phone.

Look, which is easier:
- Grab the phone, do the ring-ring and congratulate yourself if you can leave a message as that is the FASTER option but talk to him calmly and remember he is no expert which is why he hired you. Here the ultimate goal is to calmly explain you're on a delay of a FEW days to allow grass to recover from the scorching heat and lack of rain as this will ultimately benefit his lawn while it saves him money - Explain that you're doing some research on your new mower so you can re-adjust certain settings and you'll also be working on the machines to upgrade on some the quality issues so if he'd be so kind to wait a few days, you will be there on (actual date scheduled) for sure.
That one ALWAYS works for me.

- OR, tell him off and go give another estimate ... f*k that, you gotta drive all the way out, deal with a new person and you dunno the outcome yet. Only way this is the better option is if you got like 10 or 20 estimates you can give and you NEED an open slot, then you quote price+10% until someone says yes and now you got this one covered.

See, far as that goes, it IS easier to hold on to existing customers and it DOES pay to do a little butt-kissing from time to time, that is a priviledge they earn for putting up with the likes of us.

In my business, the regular customer is GOLD - priority number one ALWAYS.

course if he still wants to call someone else after all is said and done, **** it, that's his choice.