PDA

View Full Version : Racing lawn mower

scagboy227
08-12-2005, 12:33 PM
So i have decided in my spare time which will be this winter I am going to take my old snapper rear engine rider and make a racing lawnmower out of it.
Just for the heck of it im going to make it the most hiddious thing anyone has ever made!

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 12:42 PM
I was going to do that this last spring but never found the time. I have an old Dynamark mower that i want to turn into one. They go fast!

Gizmo_019
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I was going to do this to my Crapsman when I got something new, but I found it wouldn't make a good one so it will just be the backup for the backup mower. I couldn't do that to my Snapper because it still runs and cuts too good :rolleyes:

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM
My Dynamark i got for free with the deck removed. it had rotted after MANY years of cutting!

Howie's Lawn Care
08-12-2005, 02:21 PM
How do you make a racing mower out of it? What do you adjust to increase ground speeds?

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
You need to make the engine do that the majority of the power is gong to the wheels instead of the trany. I am not sure exactly how to do it though. The easiest way it to just stick an old horizontal shaft in there and set it up like a go kart, this setup does not requre a trany so it is easier. That is what i am going to do. Do a google search, i found a lot of info that way.

scagboy227
08-12-2005, 02:36 PM
yeah this should turn out very nice

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Post some pics of the mower you are starting with. Also, you can do a killer paint job with some different colored spray paint and masking tape, i did it on the hood of mine! Post pics!

Gizmo_019
08-12-2005, 03:54 PM
On the Crapsman, if I were going to do it, I was going to changer the pulleys to spockets and get some real strong chain. The sprocket on the motor would be about 6" or so in diameter and the one on the axle would be around 3" diameter. That is how I was planning to increase ground speed, plus a motor rebuild and straight pipes.

petekief
08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
This would be a fun forum - racing mowers - i think everyone would get a kick out of it - they make some kind of special differential just for them i think - i saw it on the discovery channel or something - who should we talk to about creating a new foum???

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
P.M. sean or put it into the suggeston box, i would be interested in it too since i would still like to turn my dynamark into one. The only toys i have are for work, i need one for playing around!

alalawnman
08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
yea would love to see pics and find out how fast and stuff like that

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Not Sure But I Think Northern Tool And Equip Might Have Some Parts You Can Use Northerntool.com

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Ya showcase, they have lots of go kart parts (i get there catalog). How fast, i have heard over 85 MPH. There are different speed brackets in the Lawnmower Racing Association. i think this is called like supermodified or something like that. I found loads of info in the spring off google when i was about to build up mine, but never did, just another project waiting to happen! Also, i know that awhile back the Discovery Channel did a 1 hour show on lawnmower racing, it was cool!

lawnchopper
08-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Ive always wanted to get into this.........it would be a blast :blob3:
however i dont think they do it around here in central Mn??
if anyone has any info let me know

git er done landscaping
08-13-2005, 12:14 PM
there are a number of yahoo groups on the subject. im pretty sure the biggest is the USLMRA. these groups are loaded with info. take a look.