PDA

View Full Version : Bobby would be proud!!!

chimmygew
08-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I had a deadbeat that we quit servicing 3 weeks ago. he owed for 4 weeks and kept giving me the same old I'll pay ya next Friday. Well the Friday's kept coming, but the money didn't. So yesterday I typed up a nice letter threatening to file theft of services charges against him to the local cops and had the crew hand deliver it to him. Needless to say, I got a call exactly 1 hour later informing me that he had my money. I went and got my cash and laughed my way all the way to the car.

bobbygedd
08-12-2005, 03:12 PM
good man. fear is the only reason people pay thier bills, i keep saying it, nobody listens. they pay thier cc bills for FEAR of late fees, and a bad credit rating. they pay thier mortgage for the same FEAR. they pay thier cable, water, and electric for FEAR of having them shut off. imagine if you went to the grocery store, and the policy was, "pay for your grocies, when, and if you want to." you know damn well you'd walk out the store with a loaded basket, without paying, everytime. you don't steal your groceries though, out of FEAR of being arrested. nobody pays thier bills because they WANT TO, they pay them out of FEAR. i cannot think of any other type of business where clients try pushing you around as much as they do the lawnboy. they don't respect you, and they don't FEAR YOU. you have to make them fear you. there are a few things they fear, they don't fear a collection service, they know, if it came to that, they would pay the bill, and it would be over. they don't fear small claims, if you actually pushed it that far, they'd just pay up, and it would be over. put a lien on my house? WHO CARES, when i drop dead, my wife collects 2 million in life insurence, and you can take my stupid house for all i care. i'll tell you what they do fear- a good azz kickin , or the assumption that you are about to recieve one, has been proven for centuries to work wonders. the other- cops. people don't want to deal with cops. fear of prison, fines, embarresment of arrest, etc. yup, they fear the cops. good job!

topsites
08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
good man. fear is the only reason people pay thier bills, i keep saying it, nobody listens. they pay thier cc bills for FEAR of late fees, and a bad credit rating. they pay thier mortgage for the same FEAR. i cannot think of any other type of business where clients try pushing you around as much as they do the lawnboy. they don't respect you, and they don't FEAR YOU. you have to make them fear you.
i'll tell you what they do fear- a good azz kickin , or the assumption that you are about to recieve one, has been proven for centuries to work wonders. the other- cops. people don't want to deal with cops. fear of prison, fines, embarresment of arrest, etc. yup, they fear the cops. good job!

I agree 100%, thou I must say my latest method of swinging by with a digicam and taking a slew of pics of a slow-payer's yard has worked wonders for me - And yes it's the fear - They don't know WHY or WHAT exactly I'm going to do, hence fear of the unknown but they DO know no lawnboy goes around snapping pics for no good reason.
I also agree with the part about being pushed around, even MORE so is how often they think they don't have to pay and give you some &^%$'n reason why (and it's ALWAYS a good one, count on it) and then they just walk away - So it's either them intimidating you, or you need to intimidate them.

From time to time, I use a non-payment issue as the REASON to drop one pita off my schedule and they can keep the money in exchange because so long they don't pay, I don't service the yard. It would be nice if they paid on time but with these folk, I ALWAYS have to chase my money so I already know if I do nothing, they won't pay... And if that were the ONLY bad thing then it would be another story, but as we all know, it never is.

You are correct, the FEAR of a good azz-kick works wonders as well - The only problem is they ALWAYS call the cops on me afterwards as I never quite got good at this game so I use other tactics nowadays. Far as the cops, I'm not afraid of them but what bothers me is the TIME it consumes, at least 20 minutes of blablabla and bs everytime, I got tired of it.

olderthandirt
08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
gotta disagree with ya Bob. Fear of an azz whoopin even if done only stays in the mind so long. But hit a man/woman in the wallet and they remember it forever.

bobbygedd
08-12-2005, 04:24 PM
gotta disagree with ya Bob. Fear of an azz whoopin even if done only stays in the mind so long. But hit a man/woman in the wallet and they remember it forever.
agreed, however, the fact remains, even without lifting a finger, i know for a fact, that if i sent odins brother to collect, and if i sent ric to collect, i'd have about 1000% better chance of getting my money with odins brother at the door, than ric at the door. in fact, the lady would probably send ric home with a shiner

olderthandirt
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
agreed, however, the fact remains, even without lifting a finger, i know for a fact, that if i sent odins brother to collect, and if i sent ric to collect, i'd have about 1000% better chance of getting my money with odins brother at the door, than ric at the door. in fact, the lady would probably send ric home with a shiner
Well I think the best solution would be to send Odins brother to the door with a frown on his face and a subpoena in his hand :D

6'7 330
08-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Well I think the best solution would be to send Odins brother to the door with a frown on his face and a subpoena in his hand :D

Odin would have ripped the top of the customerís skull off and poured a subliminal message down the cavity saying pay me. I on the other hand go through channels, and if the proper channels fail, my boys on the south side start earning their commission.