PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal accounts....?

nobagger
08-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I only have one seasonal pay account this year everyone else is per time. Well like a lot of people, this season has been very very dry. We havent had any rain here for weeks and the last time we cut this lady's lot a week later you could still see the stripes as if we were there in the morning so we drove by. Today is her usual mowing day and we drove by only to see a stripped lawn from last week. She saw us drive by and called not even 2 seconds later asking why we drove by and didn't stop, I stated to her that we don't mow unless it needs mowing or even being a seasonal pay customer, remotely close to looking like it needs mowed. She through a complete S!*t fit and demanded all of her money back. We went back and forth for a while until she hung up on me. To get to my question, How do some of you that have seasonal accounts handle customers when they do not need service?

daveintoledo
08-12-2005, 02:35 PM
i only skipped three lawns during the drought we had here, mostly i mowed anyway, if the customer doesnt want me to mow, they can call and cancel...

now if they throw a fit, i do whatever it tkaes to keep them happy, i for one realise this is a service business, and take that very seriously,

a few just said "oh i didnt expect you this week " but i mowed and trimmed and edged, pick up the yard, make them feel they are being well taken care of......

jbell113
08-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I mow no matter what.

bobbygedd
08-12-2005, 04:27 PM
i cancelled about 50 lawns this week. forget driving around looking, that aint gonna happen. as far as the people who pay like you stated, a miss here or there, i don't do anything. if it gets excessive, like recently, we are doing them like every other week, i'll deduct $30 from thier next bill

LightningLawns
08-12-2005, 04:28 PM
you should at least, blow her driveway and front porch off if she is paying for monthly service. Or just edge the driveway and sidewalk. I would never skip a monthly customer 3 weeks in a row without doing at least something.

scagwildcat
08-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Think Of It This Way, Treat Every Clients House As If It Was Your Own,and Think Of Yourself Being In Your Client Shoe, Would You Be Happy? Would You Call And Moan About Your Service? If You Can Say Yes To Being Happy, And No, You Wouldnt Moan About The Service, Then Rest Asure The Your Clients Will Be Happy!!! Well, Most Of The Time!!!

Tharrell
08-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Install an irrigation system! Seriously though, do something. I think people understand when it's dry but they still will think they're not getting their money's worth if you don't show at all. You can never totally educate all customers and if you're at least there, you'll hear from fewer of them.

LwnmwrMan22
08-13-2005, 04:53 AM
You have to tell her it's not your responsibility to water the grass.

I do only seasonal contracts and here in MN it's been dry and warm as well.

It takes a while, but over the years I've picked up the right customers that don't mind if I skip the yard 2-3 weeks in a row if it's dry. They know that when it's raining and I'm double and triple cutting that I'm not charging them anymore either.

If she would have thrown that much of a fit, I would have gone back and made new tire tracks in the lawn.

However, if it's real dry and warm, you then run the chance of that grass that's being bent over by the tires stressing out even more, which will then cause brown tire tracks in the lawn.

Some customers you'll have to do that in order for them to realize that you really do know what you're talking about as the lawn maintenance guy, that you're not just a grass hack.

Educating the customer is the hardest part about having seasonal contracts.