PDA

View Full Version : Updated pics of overdig job

mbella
08-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Here are some updated pics of the overdig job I posted a couple of weeks ago. Somebody asked what we were building. These pics should give a good picture.

mbella
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
For those that didn't see the earlier pics, here are a few.

kootoomootoo
08-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Nice job,

I like the courtyard effect.....you could have put a pool in the overdig area.
O/T I finished a patio job today and the guy gave me a $250 TIP. :)

I was over your way in Lancaster and Strasburg a few weeks ago. Could easily live there....close to everything. Strasburg has awesome steam trains.

mbella
08-12-2005, 05:23 PM
I've never received a tip. Maybe you're leaving too much money on the table :)

I guess, relatively speaking, Lancaster is our way. We are over an hour east of there.

I just looked back at the one pic (the one with the farm in the background) and you would think I was in Lancaster by that pic. This area is even better. Nothing but big houses going up everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. I love it.

kootoomootoo
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM

I guess, relatively speaking, Lancaster is our way. We are over an hour east of there.

I just looked back at the one pic (the one with the farm in the background) and you would think I was in Lancaster by that pic. This area is even better. Nothing but big houses going up everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. I love it.

"I've never received a tip. Maybe you're leaving too much money on the table"

Always mr. negative. Amazing what a few smiles will do.
Actually the job before last I got a $100 tip for a $13,000 install.

**I might send a crew out to Gilbertsville, Reading and Lancaster next summer.

mbella
08-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I smile all the way to the bank. No tip needed :D . Seriously, if you're getting tips on a $13,000.00 job, you're not charging enough. I'm kidding again, relax Mr. Positive. FYI, I'm so positive that one day it almost got me into a fight. I was at Wawa, meeting a friend, and I got out of my truck smiling, as usual. Another contractor was struggling with something in the back of his truck and we made eye contact. I was smiling, he wasn't. He thought I was laughing at him and got pissed. He said,"something funny." I said,"yeah, you."

If you send a crew to the Reading area, you'll have to deal with Chris from C&G, not me. We don't go there.

I missed the Gilbertsville part. Actually, we don't do much work there either. Maybe I'll have you install a walkway at my house. I'm not paying for a custom trip step though. I had to bust you're nuts on that one.

kootoomootoo
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I can see it now.......www.readinghardscapes.com

no tips please.

kootoomootoo
08-12-2005, 05:51 PM
She tipped me for that too.

a tip for the trip if you will.

mbella
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I think the consumers here are a little more educated. They might have questioned that :D . Who knows. You'll find out when your moblie crew starts paving here.

neversatisfiedj
08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Why again Mbella did you have to dig all that up for a patio for those who don't know ?

mbella
08-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Why again Mbella did you have to dig all that up for a patio for those who don't know ?

Unsuitable soil. I don't know why, but it seemed when they built the house, they excavated a large area. It appeared they excavated for the wrong house. I've seen it before, but I don't know if that's what happened.

Regardless, the soil was weak in that area.

rakeeye
08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
When is the grill being installed?

mbella
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Mark is building the grill enclosure and the bar on Monday.

mbella
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
BTW, there is a good bit of 2a that still needs to go in there. Those sitting walls will not be that tall (on the inside) when the job is complete. Also, there are three planter boxes that will be backfilled and planted ( in case you were wondering what some of those block boxes were for.)

rakeeye
08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I could tell by the rise on your steps that there was more stone to go in. It looks like your finished height on the sitting walls will be 21'' right? It looks like a solid job. Nice work.

Drafto
08-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Looks great Mike! When is our Exton get together? Are you putting me to work?

Dan

mbella
08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Looks great Mike! When is our Exton get together? Are you putting me to work?

Dan

We are supposed to start that job August 22. However, I don't think we're going to make it. Even if we finish the one in the pics, we have another one in progress that needs to be completed before we start the one in Exton. We may need to double up the crews to do that. I'll let you know.

You do volunteer work rignt?

Oh, that's right, volunteer work. Maybe you could start removing the existing concrete sidewalk on that job?

neversatisfiedj
08-12-2005, 10:07 PM
How did you know it was unsuitable ? Did you test it ? Very nice work! I have alot to learn from you guys.

mbella
08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
How did you know it was unsuitable ? Did you test it ? Very nice work! I have alot to learn from you guys.

No, we don't do scientific testing. It's kind of like you know it when you see it. There are a multitude of field tests that we do, but not scientific. It is something that comes with experience.

Drafto
08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
We are supposed to start that job August 22. However, I don't think we're going to make it. Even if we finish the one in the pics, we have another one in progress that needs to be completed before we start the one in Exton. We may need to double up the crews to do that. I'll let you know.

Oh, that's right, volunteer work. Maybe you could start removing the existing concrete sidewalk on that job?

Dude - No problem with the volunteer work. I want to see an excavation, soil compaction, base spread and compaction, sand, pavers and joint sand. I just want to be put to work and ask questions all week!

Dan

mbella
08-12-2005, 10:24 PM

Dude - No problem with the volunteer work. I want to see an excavation, soil compaction, base spread and compaction, sand, pavers and joint sand. I just want to be put to work and ask questions all week!

Dan

How about the rest of the year? You'll learn a lot and I'll make a lot. It's a win win.

One other thing on that job. The concrete stoop to the right (if facing the back of the house) will be faced and capped with block and pavers. There will not be any visible concrete when we finish.

Drafto
08-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Check your PM's Mike.

mbella
09-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Here are some finished pics of the overdig job. The only thing missing is the granite for the bar and around the grill. The steps between the columns will eventually lead to a walkway which will lead to a pool. Also, the homeowner is going to have the siding continued and the stucco redone.

chesie
09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Very nice work mbella!

Who makes the copper strip lights under the steps? I think I like them better than the louvered brick lights that we commonly use.

Again very nice

mbella
09-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Chesie, I'm not sure. There is line voltage throughout the patio, so I had an electrician do all of the lighting and electrical work. I will ask him who manufactures them.

YardPro
09-04-2005, 07:10 AM
very nice work.

looks great.

all ferris
09-04-2005, 08:15 PM
nothing gripes my azz more to see all that really nice hardscape on a house that has cheap siding and cheap windows too boot. It seems to me that the scape would look lots better behind a brick house. You would think that if they have the money for nice work such as this they would have the extra money to make the exterior of the house nice.

none the less mbella's work is top notch

mbella
09-04-2005, 08:28 PM
All Ferris, I think the house and patio will look fine after the siding and stucco are touched up. The thing that bothers me is when a customer spends $40,000.00+on a patio and won't spend $2000.00 on the softscape. I would love to turn my designer loose on that patio, but the homeowner doesn't want to pay for it.

jreiff
09-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Awesome work once again.

Waht kind of pavers did you use on the steps. The round edge ones?

mbella
09-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Awesome work once again.

Waht kind of pavers did you use on the steps. The round edge ones?

E.P. Henry regular bullnose. We wanted to use the new 6" wide, but couldn't get them in time.

kootoomootoo
09-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Nice job MIke....................I seem to recall you started this job a long time?ago per the time stamp on the original
overdig photo. Did the $$$$ work out ok Did you leave this job at any stage to work on other projects at the same time.

Tip?

mbella
09-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Nice job MIke....................I seem to recall you started this job a long time?ago per the time stamp on the original
overdig photo. Did the $$$$ work out ok Did you leave this job at any stage to work on other projects at the same time.

Tip?

The time worked out fine. We did a lot of work that you can't see. There are four downspouts and a sump piped underneath the patio as well as three micro drains between the pavers and the sittting walls. There was some delay while waiting for the drains to arrive and also some timing issues with the Electrician. I haven't entered in the payroll for last week, but we either beat the hours or came in at what we bid.

BTW, I had two guys on this job. That's it. I have found that two guys are most efficient on jobs like this.

cgland
09-06-2005, 11:59 AM
You think you are soooo cool coming onto this site and posting pics of your awesome work. Who do you think you are....A top notch hardscaper or something?. :) Great work Mike! I normally don't like the intricate patterns, but it really works with your design. One question, you have bullnose coming off the front of the patio, but caps coming off the side. Why did you do it that way? Again, great work by Mark!

Chris

mbella
09-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Chris, that opening in the side isn't ever going to lead to anything except a landscape bed. The opening in the front is eventually going to lead to a walkway which will lead to a pool. We used caps at the other end because we thought it looked better than bullnose backing to dirt. If we install a walkway at the other end, I'll probably pull the caps off and install bullnose.

We didn't pick the pavers. The homeowner did. I'm not really a fan of Symetry, but in the end I really liked the way it looked.

P.S. sleeping much? Don't worry, it gets worse (lol). Congratulations on the baby.

dmbmikee
09-07-2005, 07:22 AM

maybe your not doing as good a job as we are....lol

I just finished a landscape tear out and install and received a $500 tip.....:)

AWESOME JOB THOUGH! I would have tiped you! Regardless of the price....! Im one of the many, willing to pay higher prices for quality work;)