PDA

View Full Version : brown patches on lawn???????

landscapingdude
08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
the grass is brown(but not all of lawn is brown just some spots)and when i pull the grass it comes off easily is this a disease or insect damage?and HOW CAN I FIX THIS? :angry: :realmad: :cry:

DLS1
08-12-2005, 06:57 PM
When you pulled up the grass did you see grubs or and other type of bugs?

Bulletproof
08-12-2005, 07:03 PM
You'll have to dig into the soil to probably see the problem...

It could also be caused by a lack of watering. It's been a warm summer and a lot of times it could just be drought.

Possibly get a certified technician to look at it.

Bulletproof
08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
If you can post a picture, the experienced guys on here will probably detect the problem just by the shape and size or the problem. Or can point you in the right direction!

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
If It Comes Up Like A Carpet (sod Pieces) Its Probably Grubs. Dig Around In The Soil In The Location And If You See White Larvae Of Any Size Then There Ya Go Grubs. If Its Just Dead And Pulls Up Easily Seperate From Trhe Roots Then We Start Talking About Cinch Bugs / Sod Webworm And The List Goes On.

Cut The Bottom Out Of A Coffee Can , Place It Over The Area Affected And Fill With Water. Usually Any Bugs There Will Float To The Surface. Collect Them And Go See The People At The Ag Extension Office For Identification.

burns60
08-13-2005, 12:36 AM
the grass is brown(but not all of lawn is brown just some spots)and when i pull the grass it comes off easily is this a disease or insect damage?and HOW CAN I FIX THIS? :angry: :realmad: :cry:

I'd say grubs. And you can usually get them with Liquid Sevin. Then a little extra fert. in that area and maybe get it to cover back before the growing season is over. I've got one that I need to do the same thing for. Thanks for reminding me.

sildoc
08-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Few things have been mentioned. Also could be crown rot. It it irrgated turf? Is it on a regular fert program? Any pics? Pest, fung, lack of H2O... what you tell us could be a hundred different problems and a million different solutions to fix your problem.

TMlawncare
08-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Don't blame it all on the insects, the fungus is bad this year also. What you might have is a disease called brown patch that you have to treat with a fungicide.