PDA

View Full Version : Chaucking your wheels...Scary Story

Bulletproof
08-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey guys,

Saw one of the scariest things the other day on our biggest commercial property (a mall).

This week an irrigation company was in to do the irrigation system on the property. So this company is there all day tuesday while we cut and do our work, and later that night (5pm), I go back to see how far along they were.

Like most company's they were using large ditch witch's and had left 2 trailers in the parking lot at the top of a slight incline. This parking lot is usually about half full at all times. Anyway, the trailer with the largest ditch witch that was left rolled about 45-50 feet backwards down this incline into a parked car! The wheels were not chaucked. ;)

The end of the witch went right through the door and smashed the window, scary part is that people were inside the car as it happenned too. They're ok aside from minor injuries. Their car is a right-off. I arrived just minutes after it happenned by chance.

So now they're probably facing a very large lawsuit, the price of the car, increased insurance rates, etc.

This is why you need insurance and compotent foremen. It's really too bad, such a careless mistake. Thought I'd give you guys the heads up! Hope it never happens to you!

soccerlawn
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Wow that really sucks.

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 09:53 PM
My thoughts exactly!

MrFangs
08-12-2005, 09:58 PM
This is why you NEED insurance. If they didn't have insurance, they'd be facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. SCARY!

Shuter
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
A lesson for everyone to learn from.

Itsgottobegreen
08-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I used to use wood chocks. But I bought one of those tall $8 rubber chocks from TSC. Well our enclosed was on a hill when we unhitched it. It rolled right over the wood chocks. (it had our kubota tractor with aerator on it, so there was another 3000 lbs that usually not in it) Well I grabbed that rubber chock and threw it under the tire. That sucker stopped it. I went out an bought 5 more later that day. Four for the trailer and two for the dump truck. Lucky the DOT break away line was still hooked to the truck, so it would have only gotten another 8" or so before the brakes kicked in. One chock is good, Two are better. Four are the best. One on the front and back of the tire so it can't roll either way on level ground.

Bulletproof
08-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Apparently there's a bunch of photo's that were taken for insurance, I'm going to try and get a hold of them and then post them so you can get a better idea...incredible.