PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have incentives to be safe on jobs?

LawnMowerBoy48
08-12-2005, 07:44 PM
At the company I work for if we went 90 days at the begining of the season with out property damage over $250 or a workmans comp. claim we would get to go to six flags New England as a company trip. We didn't get to go on the trip because one of the guys on a mow crew fell asleep behind the wheel and went off the road causing around $800 worth of damages to the trailer. Six flags was considered to be the "big prize" but we also had and still have smaller prizes along the way. For every two weeks we go without an accident two names will be drawn out of a bowl and those two people will get to spin a wheel with prizes on it, money, phone cards, t-shirts, etc. If we go four weeks without an accident four names get drawn, so on and so forth. Anyways we have totally sucked with property damages to workers comp. claims this year and have only gotten to spin the wheel once. What do you guys offer as incentives to your employee's to do better work and be safe?

Scapegoat
08-12-2005, 07:55 PM
My incentive is not to get sued or killed. :)

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
NOT GETTING FIRED. ,,,,,,,,,,,WHICH IS KINDA TOUGH BECAUSE IM A ONE MAN SHOW :rolleyes:

OMG
08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
If you tear something up, you are fired a few seconds before you do it. :)

MrFangs
08-12-2005, 08:00 PM
that's a big incentive. mine will be-- if you don't break anything, you get your job!

Shuter
08-12-2005, 09:33 PM
My incentive is to stay in business and stay profitable.

lqmustang
08-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm solo, that's incentive enough.

all ferris
08-12-2005, 10:05 PM
My incentive is that I don't want to pay for any damage that I do.

burns60
08-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Have had two things happen that make me realize how fast you can get hurt. While trimming up under a hedge, the trimmer picked up a piece of broken beer bottle and "deposited" it into my middle finger. It must have cut a vein or something, because it took forever to stop the bleeding. I thought about how lucky I was that it only hit my hand.

Then just yesterday while mowing up next to a brick house a sweet gum ball bounced off the wall and hit just in front of my ear. Sounded like I had been shot, and while the pain caused by the sweet gum ball was no picnic to stand, I wondered what kind of injury I would have received had it been a rock.

So, my incentive is that I have probably used up my "good fortune", but am more aware of the need to be ever mindful of safety.

wbw
08-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Your company is looking at this all wrong. They want to change the things that are happening...like accidents. The way to do this is by recognizing good, correct, positive behaviors on a consistent basis. The process is called behavior modification. They need to reward the behaviors that lead to fewer or no accidents. What do they do to insure that accidents don't happen? Really, what do they do, WHAT ACTION DO THEY AS MANAGEMENT TAKE TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF ACCIDENTS??? The rewards are a nice feel good thing. The rewards should be a part of the solution. However, they are rewarding the wrong things ( in this case they would have rewarded pure luck, had you all been lucky enough to not have had these accidents. Lucky is all it would have been though because they should be rewarding the actions that lead to not having accidents. Sorry so long. Any questions let me know.

jtrice11
08-13-2005, 10:39 AM
WHAT ACTION DO THEY AS MANAGEMENT TAKE TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF ACCIDENTS??? Lucky is all it would have been though because they should be rewarding the actions that lead to not having accidents. Sorry so long. Any questions let me know.

The way I read his post, they ARE rewarding actions that do not lead to accidents. The one big accident they had, the guy fell asleep, how do you reward a guy NOT to fall asleep? They are doing precisely what you describe above, rewarding behavior and work habits the do not lead to accidents. Correct?

BTW, I agree with what most said---remaining employed is a pretty good incentive to be safe/careful.

wbw
08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
They are only rewarding outcomes. The outcome is only a reliable indicator over a very long period of time. They had other incidents also. There IS a difference between "You need to do that faster or better or safer" and "Let me show you how to do that faster or better or safer"

Not being a smartass, but, I KNOW more about this than you do. I am a trained, educated and experienced safety professional.

jtrice11
08-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you have some psychology background. My minor in college was psychology, Majored in Human Biology/Biochemistry. Now I'm cutting grass for a living, go figure.

topsites
08-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Have had two things happen that make me realize how fast you can get hurt. While trimming up under a hedge, the trimmer picked up a piece of broken beer bottle and "deposited" it into my middle finger. It must have cut a vein or something, because it took forever to stop the bleeding. I thought about how lucky I was that it only hit my hand.

Then just yesterday while mowing up next to a brick house a sweet gum ball bounced off the wall and hit just in front of my ear. Sounded like I had been shot, and while the pain caused by the sweet gum ball was no picnic to stand, I wondered what kind of injury I would have received had it been a rock.

So, my incentive is that I have probably used up my "good fortune", but am more aware of the need to be ever mindful of safety.

I learned pain tolerance is something you learn in this business over time.
This is one of the reasons you don't want a fight with a lawnboy - most can take a beating as the pain doesn't slow them down much.