PDA

View Full Version : edging per linear foot

rotgg
08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
how much do u guys charge per linear foot for edging thanks

stevo22
08-13-2005, 01:23 AM
well if you want to get technical about it...for a $45 yard i guess i charge about $45 a linear foot and cut edge and blow for free...

seriously though, unless you are edging a hoa entrance that has .25-2 miles of edging, the edging of a residential yard is is just in the total price...i never measure the edging...some of the yards do not have a sidewalk, just a curb...do i charge more for the sidwalk, no...i just count the ones with a curb only a blessing...

now if it hasn't been edged in many weeks or never, i will add some extra to the bid in order to get the edge started out good but i have only measured one edge in over 4 yrs and it was 1.5 miles of edging...very little grass to cut or weedeat...priced it at $250 cut everyu 10 days...i got the bid...

i have seen these posts before about price for linear foot this and that...i feel that after you learn what the market will bear per yard, per neighborhood, then you should never have to worrk about measuring anything...i can drive by a yard, park in the drive, look over the fence, and give them a price...it's that simple...

rotgg
08-13-2005, 01:53 AM
simple question looking for simple answer

lawnman_scott
08-13-2005, 02:04 AM
I think you got a good awnser, should be included in the bid. How are you pricing it now? How have you priced it for 15 years? Do you get out and measure how far you have to edge at each estimate you give?

i_plant_art
08-13-2005, 02:07 AM
stick edging or flower bed edging?

stick edge anythign commericla or HOA in the ballpark of .07/ft

flower bed edging in the ballpark of 2.50-4.00 a foot

residentials....... like stevo said ... guess , aint worth the time measuring unless its a while lot.
all jobs depend on circumstance, location, difficulty, access, etc etc

Hope this helps ya some.

jtrice11
08-13-2005, 10:22 AM
I edged 2.5 miles this spring for 25 cents a foot. Used 2 walk behind edgers, and a 6 man crew, took 11 hrs. Place hadn't been edged since the install and we hauled away 5 yards of sod, dirt, and debris. When complete, blew the edges to clean them up. Looked nice. There is a downside, weeds love to start growing there.

Precision
08-13-2005, 06:24 PM
just a word of advice.

edging means different things to different people on here.

edging for me means using a stick edger to make a pencil thin cut between the turf and the sidewalk/driveway/mulch in the bed.

for others it means cutting a 2-4 inch wide trench 2-4 inches deep around flower beds.

Obviously the two would require vastly different prices.

Precision
08-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I edged 2.5 miles this spring for 25 cents a foot. Used 2 walk behind edgers, and a 6 man crew, took 11 hrs. Place hadn't been edged since the install and we hauled away 5 yards of sod, dirt, and debris. When complete, blew the edges to clean them up. Looked nice. There is a downside, weeds love to start growing there.

$3300 or $50 an hour. not bad I guess. I wouldn't have minded the 3300 added to the bank account.

rotgg
08-14-2005, 03:01 AM
sorry i asked lol as u can tell if u took the time to read my profile and see how long i have been in the busn u would know i was not talking about 25 feet of edging around a bed or edging a yard i am bidding a 10+ miles of edging and wanted to know a round fig for edging per 1000 feet or so but thanks for all the help and the smart ass answers lol

Richard Martin
08-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Stick edging regularly maintained concrete runs $1.00 per hundred feet.

Precision
08-14-2005, 08:46 AM
sorry i asked lol as u can tell if u took the time to read my profile and see how long i have been in the busn u would know i was not talking about 25 feet of edging around a bed or edging a yard i am bidding a 10+ miles of edging and wanted to know a round fig for edging per 1000 feet or so but thanks for all the help and the smart ass answers lol

If you think those were smart ass answers I would hate to see your reaction when you get some really flippant answers.

Your lack of specificity is not our problem. If you have a specific question. how much to charge for 10 miles of stick edging. Then ask it. Otherwise people will answer based on their own biases. Most of which is residential properties in the 1/4 to 1/2 acre range. There are people on here who do the kind of edging you are talking about.

Coastal has 9.73 miles of line trimming he has to do on one site. He specifically asked questions regarding that task, not how much to line trim a property.

Although I do not do anything like 10 miles of edging My answer would be to edge a known length and time it start to finish. Say your 1000 feet takes 1 hour including blowing and any removal. Then you know you have 5.3 hours per mile. 53 hours times hourly rate plus a fudge factor of 5 hours for boredom of employess. So I would guess $3600

jtrice11
08-14-2005, 01:56 PM
$3300 or $50 an hour. not bad I guess. I wouldn't have minded the 3300 added to the bank account.

a couple of those a week and I could probably start paying myself!

Fubba
08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
10+ miles?? That's ridiculous. You'd have to buy a new edger every flippin time.

rotgg
08-14-2005, 04:54 PM
If you think those were smart ass answers I would hate to see your reaction when you get some really flippant answers.

Your lack of specificity is not our problem. If you have a specific question. how much to charge for 10 miles of stick edging. Then ask it. Otherwise people will answer based on their own biases. Most of which is residential properties in the 1/4 to 1/2 acre range. There are people on here who do the kind of edging you are talking about.

Coastal has 9.73 miles of line trimming he has to do on one site. He specifically asked questions regarding that task, not how much to line trim a property.

Although I do not do anything like 10 miles of edging My answer would be to edge a known length and time it start to finish. Say your 1000 feet takes 1 hour including blowing and any removal. Then you know you have 5.3 hours per mile. 53 hours times hourly rate plus a fudge factor of 5 hours for boredom of employess. So I would guess $3600

my post stats "how much do u guys charge per linear foot for edging thanks" is that not specific enough

Cimarron Landscape
08-14-2005, 05:01 PM
I haven't seen any smart-a* answers. You need an attitude check.
~Brian