PDA

View Full Version : Paver Warranty

Xcape Outdoors
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
We moved into paving last year and have not had any warranty issues however I want to supply a written warranty on paver movement / settling / joint sand issues. I was thinking something like "adjacent paver movement exceeding 1/4", paver group settling exceeding 3/8" over 60" area etc. under foot / vehicle travel (depending on area paved) " Any suggestions on the verbage??? Also not sure what to think on the joint sand... I have been using polymeric sand and for some reason we always end up compacting in a second time at our expense ( and without waiting for a customer call... we do a 30 day followup inspection and resolve any issues we find as protocol ) Not so sure I like the Alliance polymeric sand... I hated the Unilock poly sand BTW. Thanks-

Drafto
08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Xcape. I tried this one a few weeks ago to no avail:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=114182

Hopefully we can get some answers.

Dan

Xcape Outdoors
08-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Ok Well thanks anyway, Maybe I'll post the basics what I end up with and we can beat it up...

DVS Hardscaper
08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
A properly constructed interlocking pavement should not move.

Therefore if you use the proper materials, and proper methods, proper compaction, you do not need any exclusions.

Our interlocking pavements carry a 5 year warranty. Unless the property is under 1 yr old, we have no exclaimers.

Steps to take to ensure its dun rite:

1. if you excavate too deep, NEVER place the excavated soil back to adjust for the grade. Once its dug out...it stays OUT. If you need more fill...then use only a crusher run (unless your soil has been tested and approved by a geo-tech to be use as fill).

2. Compact the base in the proper lifts that your compactor will allow for.

3. Bedding sand shall not be exceed 1-inch in thickness. All the bedding sand is used for is locking the pavers into place. Some folks do 1.5 inches. I use 1 inch. The less sand, the less chances for settlement.

4. Use geo-textile fabric between the sub-soil and the aggregate base. .this is not an OPTION, as many contractor wish to think. It is NECESSARY to prevent the materials from intermixing.

5. Do not build a pavement on distrubed soil. Such as the overdig from a new home construction. Or the backfill of utility, water, and sewer lines, etc. If its a new property, advise the owner(s) of the potential for settlement of the pavement and advise them to wait at least 12 months before commencing the work. if they insist on moving forward...then void the warranty.

6. Use 10 inch spikes to hold the restraint. ok, thats a no brainer. But make sure they are spaced 12 inches apart, not 24 - 30 inches like I see others do.

Xcape Outdoors
08-14-2005, 06:51 PM
DVS, thanks for the tips, most of which are the way we operate, however we have been doing new homes excavating the over dig and ramming 3" limestone into the area with a jumping jack. I appreciate the feedback and have no problem with supplying a warranty (not looking for loophole verbiage). Maybe it's just me , but I need to know the make / break, I am not comfortable leaving it open to no movement. I am an engineer by trade and need to quantify the details.

DVS Hardscaper
08-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Be careful with the overdigs on properties under 24 - 36 months old.

I have been in the patio business for almost 10 years. There is NO way a jumping jack tamper will compact that overdig. NOOOOO Way.

Most foundation walls are 8 feet high.

Including the foundation's footer, there is over 8.5' feet of loose fill soil full of air molecules.

Once the builder backfills that foundation, a jumping jack tamper will ONLY compact the top 6 inches or so. Its not the top of loose fill that settles! It settles from the bottom - up.

We have done new homes and some homes never had problems. And we have done homes that were 30 months old and all of a sudden, the settlement finally took place, and we have had steps and patios sink.

Your best approach is to advise the client. be honest with them. Sure you may not make that sale till 12 months later, but a reasonable client will appreciate your honesty and they will respect you for that, as you can be assured the other contractors ARE NOT addressing the settlement issue. I can not tell you how man patios I have sold simply from telling the client to wait 1 year.

Make your sale off of honesty.

Xcape Outdoors
08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the advise, I'll be sure to keep it in mind... I haven't had a problem yet thankfully but luck my be on my side as for now. Better safe than sorry in the future.