PDA

View Full Version : Used Walker value???

kevincg
08-13-2005, 06:07 AM
I am looking to buy a 1999 Walker 25 HP, 48" MTGHS. It has 1380 hours and seems to be well maintained.
This will be my first commercial mower, and I will be primarily using it for 1/2 - 3/4 ac yards, and only cutting 3-5 times a month with it.

Any ideas on what this is worth?
Anything I should look out for or ask about as far as maint?

Thanks for the help.

Ax Man
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Check for play in the deck spindle assembly, there should be some play, but not too much, also look for oil leaks.
Check drive shaft to deck to see if it has been bent, look at chute for wear. check output side of pto for play/ oil leaks.
Check hydro oil, color/cleanliness
Motor-while it is running check to see if hot air blows from above the exhaust manifold
(they blow head gaskets)
If this machine is in good shape I would guess some where between 2500-3100.
you can get a new one for 9500.

TURFLORD
08-13-2005, 01:48 PM
As soon as it leaves the dealer a mower is only worth 1/2 retail because you don't know what's been done to it. With 1300+ hrs on it 1/2 sounds about right.

kevincg
08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the rplys. I have been reading a lot of posts both pro and con of Walkers. I am a little worried about maint on this one. Are there any improvements in the later Walkers as far as hydros or motors? I can not understand how Kohler motors on a Walker have more trouble than on any other mower.
BTW, the owner is asking $4500. He may be uset by my offer.

Thanks.

ed2hess
08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I bought a used 2000 MC Model Walker that had under 1000 hrs for $1500, including a 36" bagging deck. The machine had a 18hp engine that was only 1 year old and had one of two blade differentials replaced. This unit had a broken frame and the spreader didn't work. Since I got it in the spring I have put around $700 in it which included one hydralic wheel motor. The unit is running but still needs the bin spreader fixed. We have Scag riding units but I like this unit much better. It is lower to the ground and smaller for mowing residential. Now all I need is a 36" mulching deck. The Walker unit is well designed and has grease certs on everything.

cvhglandmgnt
08-14-2005, 09:36 PM
i just added a walker to the for sale section .

kevincg
08-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the replys. I have got to start making a decision soon.

Ryan Lightning
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
I think $4500 is too much, for that many hours. Id say + or - $3000 Like Ax man said, you have to look at the condition of each part on the machine, because there is so many parts and they can cost alot to fix. I also wouldnt buy it if you cant work on it your self, just buy a new one.

Ax Man
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
The motor is a horizontal shaft, Kohler had trouble with the 25 horizontals for a while, didn't matter what they were on.
With that number of hours the bugs should be out of it, and you are down to basic wear and tear, hopefully not abuse. Thats what you are looking for.
I love mine, got a 52 sd deck for it too. A very productive machine, especially intighter landscaped areas.
Sometimes the seller has no concept of what his item is really worth, but just a hope to get x amount.
Look it over, make your offer, if he don't accept, try again in a week.

lotamow
08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
I would look closely at the motor and the Hydro's. Get it in front of something solid (like a foundation) with the drive tires on the cement. Run the machine forward, and if it will spin both drive wheels on the cement, the Hydro's should be in good shape. If it will not spin the drive tires you are going to need new hydro's soon. They can run $600-$700 each. Check the motor for oil leaks or smoking. If everything looks good on the machine this is probably a fair price for the walker. That machine runs over $10,000 new.

cvhglandmgnt
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
i have 2003 20 hp will sell shipped to your door $5500.00

kevincg
08-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the helpful notes on this matter. I am going to look this mower over good and make an offer. This is going to be my first mower, and will only be used for 2 yards, mainly personal use.
I can perform any work to the mower myself, but I do not want to buy a problem machine.

"Get it in front of something solid (like a foundation) with the drive tires on the cement. Run the machine forward, and if it will spin both drive wheels on the cement, the Hydro's should be in good shape. If it will not spin the drive tires you are going to need new hydro's soon."

Is the above a viable test of the hydros?

lotamow
08-17-2005, 10:51 AM
I can not comment on if this is a viable test for other brands of mowers, but this is what the Walker dealer recommended to me for the hydros on a walker.