PDA

View Full Version : Kohler woes

grass_cuttin_fool
08-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Friday was my day to fall to pieces. I have a heavy work load right now, another lco in the area got busted for drugs and lost everything including his equipment and I have picked up alot of his route. On the 4th lawn yesterday I was mowing along and all of a sudden I cant see for the smoke. I head for the trailer and lost almost all the oil in the engine before I got there.Ive got alot of oil coming from the head area on the left bank. I called my dealer and he said it sounds like a head gasket. So I travel 40 miles one way to get the parts to fix it with. Gas went up 12 cents in the gallon yesterday also and I drove 80 miles @ 12 mpg to get parts. Now my dealer was very nice, he gave me the gasket and didnt charge me for it.
Well Im off to start to fix the engine this am, BTW, its a 20 hp kohler a 2004 model with 561 hours, wish me luck cause I got 5 more yards to go today. OHHHHHHHHH let me say that after you get used to a Z, the walkbehind with a velke isnt as much fun or relaxing lol, wish me luck and yall have a good weekend
wayne

traman
08-13-2005, 09:38 AM
i hope your right on location of oil leak ,my 23 hp Kohler did the same thing with only 200 hr on it turned out to be the governor gasket ,oil all over customers lawn and sidewalk ,

Richard Martin
08-13-2005, 09:58 AM
How many RPM are you turning? I've seen a lot of Kohler head gaskets blown because of excessive RPM.

Ric
08-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Kolher has been having Head Gasket problems for years now. Long about 1999 -2000 they couldn't keep them in the 25 hp. First I have heard about the 20 hp.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-13-2005, 01:33 PM
How many RPM are you turning? I've seen a lot of Kohler head gaskets blown because of excessive RPM.
Not sure on the rpm, when I picked it up from the dealer new, he said he had it tuned about 3450, not @ 3600. I havent touched it so ........

grass_cuttin_fool
08-13-2005, 01:34 PM
i hope your right on location of oil leak ,my 23 hp Kohler did the same thing with only 200 hr on it turned out to be the governor gasket ,oil all over customers lawn and sidewalk ,
I hope this is the right place after going to all the trouble, and I dumped almost all the oil out before I knew what was going on, it pouredddddddddddd out

grass_cuttin_fool
08-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Kolher has been having Head Gasket problems for years now. Long about 1999 -2000 they couldn't keep them in the 25 hp. First I have heard about the 20 hp.
My dealer said the samething Ric, said the 20 hp's had been really good. I should have it back together tonight or sunday and I will give it a try and see

topsites
08-13-2005, 01:59 PM
I hope this is the right place after going to all the trouble, and I dumped almost all the oil out before I knew what was going on, it pouredddddddddddd out

This is the reason I HIGHLY recommend running either synthetic racing blend or full synthetic oil to have that extra safety in case of this, so you don't seize your motor when this happens.

Because yes, I've seized a motor before... Only once, but it was enough to convince me to never run standard oil again.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-14-2005, 10:46 AM
oK guys, after reading the post yesterday I decided to sleep on it and have another look this am. well Im glad I did, ,the head gasket isnt the problem. The oil is leaking from between the 2 v banks. There is a plate there and the gasket is bad. I am presuming this is the govenor housing?. Any way this am I put the valve cover back on and fired the engine and discovered this is where the leak was. Thanx again for the help and pointers, this has to be one of the best sites on the net there is. A world of info here.
By the Way...... any tips for removing this plate, anything I should know? are there weights or anything that will fly apart when I remove it? Im gonna wait till mon am to take it off, ,will be tom before I can get parts and I dont want to leave the engine open for dust and moisture to get in
wayne

south jerz
08-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Oil tube into engine was offset from the start, so you had to push it over with a screwdriver, or only half the oil got to the engine. Well we were changing oil about every 50 hours and you can figure out what happened. Worker did it and didn't know the tube was all messed up. Engine ran bone dry and seized. 11 months old. If Kohler doesn't honor the warranty I'm going with Kaw for life.

Richard Martin
08-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Oil tube into engine was offset from the start, so you had to push it over with a screwdriver, or only half the oil got to the engine. Well we were changing oil about every 50 hours and you can figure out what happened. Worker did it and didn't know the tube was all messed up. Engine ran bone dry and seized. 11 months old. If Kohler doesn't honor the warranty I'm going with Kaw for life.

How is you figure Kohler should warranty an engine that you ran out of oil? If there was a problem with the engine that you knew about and didn't fix or have fixed then that is your fault and not the fault of Kohler.

south jerz
08-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Oil tube into engine was offset from the start, so you had to push it over with a screwdriver, or only some of the oil got to the engine. Well we were changing oil about every 50 hours and you can figure out what happened. Worker did it and didn't know the tube was all messed up. Engine ran bone dry and seized. Even with the leak, there was obviously other problems with the engine. It seized after a two quart change about 10 hours earlier. There was no obvious leakage during changes. Not sure of the exact problem to tell you the problem, but the engine I received was a POS from day one, Kohler 12.5 hp. 11 months old. If Kohler doesn't honor the warranty I'm going with Kawasaki for life. Kawasaki engines are workhorses and don't have this BS to deal with.

Any Kohler reps on here, the dealer is Robey's in Medford, NJ. Horrible experiences there. This time they tried to tell me it's not covered under warranty, when it obviously has to be. They had my mower for two weeks in peak growing season, didn't call once and say what the problem was. I called them and they said a Kohler rep would be out to authorize the warranty within two weeks, but it was very unlikely he would authorize it. He told me the air filter needed to be changed, and this caused the engine to run out of oil. My a**, that guy took me for a fool. That cannot happen. No matter how bad the filter the mower would never burn two quarts in ten hours. Well now it's been TWO MONTHS, and Robey's still has my mower, not one call to me about it. No word on Kohler rep, but probably isn't good. If they even called him yet, which I doubt. I would tell these guys to clean up their act or drop them as a dealer. Stay away SJ people.

Richard: I didn't know about the problem until after it seized. My partner last year knew about it, but didn't tell me when he left biz midway thru season. I bought the mower and maintained and used it. Since we changed the oil more than enough it never ran out despite the tube offset, but some problems down the road caused it to burn more and more, and it eventually ran out. Problems that weren't due to operator neglect. We changed oil, greased, tap/change filters, etc. It's not like its the first time we didn't shift the tube. When it seized I called my ex-partner and he remembered the tube was offset. Either way, it's not our problem Kohler can't put their engine together correctly. There was a manufacturer's defect in the engine, I think that should be covered. A mfg defect is covered in any warranty I can think of.

sawman65
08-14-2005, 03:19 PM
havent had many problems with the kohlers but that breather gasket has been changed. to all of ya'll that have a newer kohler 04-05 replace that gasket.there is a update on it have it done or you will be sorry.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-14-2005, 06:39 PM
havent had many problems with the kohlers but that breather gasket has been changed. to all of ya'll that have a newer kohler 04-05 replace that gasket.there is a update on it have it done or you will be sorry.
I was very lucky that mine blew when it did, I was near the end and was turning around and saw the smoke, went straight to the trailer which was prob 250 feet away and when i got on the trailer I had dumped almost 2 gts out. What ever is in there is under a trememndous amout of pressure

iluvscag
08-14-2005, 07:18 PM
That's why I buy Kawasaki engines. :)

grass_cuttin_fool
08-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I have 2 other mowers that have kawi power and I kinda favor them better. Its just like any other mower/engine, blower, trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer or chainsaw, I dont how good they are, something sometime is gonna happen. There is a guy from michigan on the site that had a kawi drop a seal and seize and engine before he even knew there was a leak, the engine was barely out of warranty and not many hours on it

Lawn Wolf
08-14-2005, 10:27 PM
So far so good with my 15 hp kohler. The thing is a gem , plenty of power for a 32" wb. It cuts like butter through tall grass.... I made a good investment.

lawnprosteveo
08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
I've got Kohler and Kawasaki....I gotta say the Kawasakis run smoother, better, and just seem better built...sorry Kohler.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-15-2005, 08:09 PM
I went to the toro dealer this am and picked up a breather gasket as it is called. He said it was under warranty and the scag dealer should fix it. Well my scag dealer is on vacation and Ive been a mechanic for 19 years. I think I prob had 8 hours labor in it, although if I had to do it again I could do it faster now. Any way I got it back together, changed oil and the filter and she purrs like a kitten. Tuesday will be the real test for it as that is the start of the mowing week for me. Only draw back I have is now the engine is turning more RPM's, got it slowed down some but its not correct. Think Im gonna swing by the Scag dealer in a couple weeks and get them to reset it, free of charge I think since I bought a warranty part and installed it myself and it will take $20.00 dollars of gas to make the round trip.
Again I would like to thank you guys for the help and tips on this project. And for yalls info, the bolts on the breather toque at 110 inch pounds.
wayne :waving:

mkwl
08-15-2005, 09:15 PM
You should have gotten a Kawasaki engine on it! :nono: Good luck fixing it.

Lawn Wolf
08-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I've got Kohler and Kawasaki....I gotta say the Kawasakis run smoother, better, and just seem better built...sorry Kohler.

Yeah, but how much extra do you have to pay for the name brand kawasaki. If kohler can last as long as the kawasaki that's a difference of a few hundred dollars. I think paying for a name is not a good reason to buy all the time.

Ric
08-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Fellows

While I might agree a Kawasaki is a better engine, you don't always have a choose. Take Walker as an example. They come with a custom made Kohler engine and nothing else will fit. I don't mow anymore so maybe the newer ones do come with other engines. But the point is when buying a mower there are over all features that have to be taken into consideration. The engine must be weighted against the other features.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-16-2005, 08:09 AM
My scag dealer mainly sells kohler. He tries to keep his overhead down in the parts dept by not having to stock over parts, just kohler. I really wanted a kawa when I got this mower, and he could of got it over night from another dealer. But since he wasnt an authorized kawa factory rep or had any parts for it I choose the kohler.
Like I have said many times, I dont care who makes what, they all have problems at times. NO company is bullet proof and never has a problem, THEY ALL DO at times.
Over all i prefer the kawa power but this kohler has been good and I would consider another on my next purchase

cachelakecountry
08-19-2005, 07:56 AM
I was reading some of the Kohler oil leakage problem.
The same thing happened to us, only it was to late. The oil was coming from the filter. Apparently Kohler had a run on bad filters and is now trying to brush it off. We talked to the Kohler rep and he said that yes they had a problem with filters coming loose and leaking, but never loose enough to lose all the oil, which is what happened in our case. We tightened filter back up and it still leaked. This was a Kohler filter. This has happened to 5 people in our area.
If you are using Kholer filters....check them...that is where our oil was coming from. Please email me if you have any more questions. Me09@sbcglobal.net