PDA

View Full Version : Smoked two employees in two days

AdamCByrd
08-13-2005, 12:17 PM
It's hard to find good help.

I called the employment agency (big mistake) looking for some full-time help in my grounds maintenance company. On Thursday I went to pick up this one guy who looked like a crack adict...very skinny, Goat-T like King Tut, "THUG" tatooed on his forearm, Pirates hat on sideways. I told him to put his hat on straight and asked him if he was a "THUG." Anyway, after painfully teaching how to use a walk-behind, I let him run it for 3 hours. After a while, I didn't see him anymore and began to wonder. I started walking around and saw my mower in a ditch and him LAYING DOWN ON THE GROUND in the fetal position behind it. I figuredhe had figured some way to cut his foot off with the lawn mower and panicked, but saw him move before I got there. I asked him if he was OK...he said no. I asked what happened and he said "my legs just give out on me...I'm wore out." What a loser. He was financially worthless after that. I gave him a break, but then I saw him sitting on his butt once every 10 minutes. He "worked" for me for 5 hours, I paid him for 3. I told him to call me when he gets in shape.

Friday, I picked up another man who was 45 and said he had lawn mowing and outdoor working experience. He started off promising.....until 11:45am when I saw him staggering with a line trimmer --- with no string in it, trying to trim a fence. I told him there was no string in the trimmer, and he said "help me I can't see to put the string in." This is when I figured I had a problem. I told him to go sit his butt down in the shade and chill while I go get him some water. After I told him to go sit down, he stumbled over to a walk-behind (leaving the trimmer on the ground) and acted like he was about to start mowing with it. I said "SIT DOWN!" I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. He sat down and said, "They go my son! They go my son Travis!" He was pointing at my brother. He continued to talk nonsense while I treated him for heat exhaustion....then took him home.

I pray I can find some decent help one of these days....

John Gamba
08-13-2005, 12:40 PM
And here i thought this only happened in Connecticut :laugh:

John

Scapegoat
08-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Put an ad in the paper, but put "bilingual A+" and you will get better workers showing up.

grassmanvt
08-13-2005, 01:18 PM

I called the employment agency (big mistake) looking for some full-time help in my grounds maintenance company. On Thursday I went to pick up this one guy who looked like a crack adict...very skinny, Goat-T like King Tut, "THUG" tatooed on his forearm, Pirates hat on sideways. I told him to put his hat on straight and asked him if he was a "THUG." Anyway, after painfully teaching how to use a walk-behind, I let him run it for 3 hours. After a while, I didn't see him anymore and began to wonder. I started walking around and saw my mower in a ditch and him LAYING DOWN ON THE GROUND in the fetal position behind it. I figuredhe had figured some way to cut his foot off with the lawn mower and panicked, but saw him move before I got there. I asked him if he was OK...he said no. I asked what happened and he said "my legs just give out on me...I'm wore out." What a loser. He was financially worthless after that. I gave him a break, but then I saw him sitting on his butt once every 10 minutes. He "worked" for me for 5 hours, I paid him for 3. I told him to call me when he gets in shape.

Friday, I picked up another man who was 45 and said he had lawn mowing and outdoor working experience. He started off promising.....until 11:45am when I saw him staggering with a line trimmer --- with no string in it, trying to trim a fence. I told him there was no string in the trimmer, and he said "help me I can't see to put the string in." This is when I figured I had a problem. I told him to go sit his butt down in the shade and chill while I go get him some water. After I told him to go sit down, he stumbled over to a walk-behind (leaving the trimmer on the ground) and acted like he was about to start mowing with it. I said "SIT DOWN!" I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. He sat down and said, "They go my son! They go my son Travis!" He was pointing at my brother. He continued to talk nonsense while I treated him for heat exhaustion....then took him home.

I guess I've had it good, most of the newcomers last between 1-5 days. :)

Lawnworks
08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
White crew leaders, and "legal" mexicans. White people working for 8-10 an hour are trash. Down here black people are not an option for labor unless you want to go out of business. Mexicans are the only option.... sorry if the truth offends you.

JS Landscaping
08-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I Hear ya on the labor problem. Cant find anyone good up here either, ive been through 6 guys this summer so far and am about to fire another this week. No one wants to break thier back anymore and put in a good days worth of work. They start out great and then once it seems to rise about 80 degrees they start droppin like flies and start complainin like little girls. Have any of you guys done the H2B program? Ill be looking into it for next season without a doubt.

James
JS LANDSCAPING

Lawnworks
08-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Here is what I do.

Lawnworks
08-13-2005, 02:42 PM
If you want to do the h2b program, it is $3500 upfront. That sucks for small companies.

MrFangs
08-13-2005, 02:49 PM
He sat down and said, "They go my son! They go my son Travis!" He was pointing at my brother.

What?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

TPnTX
08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't know where you are in La. but in Shreveport God doesn't provide many Mexicans. The ones there are, are working construction. Theres a lot in Marshall, tx so if they have a car'a you can get them for 7-9 per hr.

ALarsh
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Here is what I do.

LOL. I love it!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

dwc
08-13-2005, 05:34 PM
I just amazes me how that I can pay a guy $8 an hour starting out and they don't stick, but you see lowballers all day long out there you know are making $8 an hour or less breaking their backs plus having to do all the other stuff. Guess I will just not understand people that are lowballers.

shortgut
08-13-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't know where you are in La. but in Shreveport God doesn't provide many Mexicans. The ones there are, are working construction. Theres a lot in Marshall, tx so if they have a car'a you can get them for 7-9 per hr.
You can have all of these that BO Pilgrim imported for his chicken plant here in Pittsburg. We went to the Pizza INN in Pittsburg last Sunday evening and we were the only English speaking in the place rest of the place was Mexicans and sounded like a bunch of chickens clucking not one word of English

Brianslawn
08-13-2005, 11:13 PM
my next ad is going to mention ******ed need not apply. ive offered people $12/hr or more starting and they dont even show up the first day. people from arkansas are the laziest. i know couple mexicans that run another local lco and they say even most the mexicans around here are lazy. i mow for few 80+ year old women that are always out working in there own yard. they say they can do more outdoor work than most these local young guys. i offered them a job. ha.

StealthDT
08-13-2005, 11:50 PM
To most people, working for a lawn mowing crew is "job of last resort". Therefore, those that actually apply to work, are essentially the bottom of the barrel. I was seriously PO'ed when I had to pull up all my plantings on a golf course to verify the pots were removed.

AdamCByrd
08-14-2005, 08:43 AM
There has to be some good employees out there somewhere....otherwise there would be no landscaping companies in business. I am not quitting until I find a college educated hard-working man who works for $8/hr. Just kidding.

YardPro
08-14-2005, 10:25 AM
sounds like you just went through two of my ex employees..................LOL

employees are the biggest headache... but just remember good ones are out there.

I figure you'll go through about 50 bad ones to get one good one.

Jamesgateslandscaping
08-14-2005, 12:13 PM
High school and college kids work great. They start to complain though when you work 4 12 hour days in a row though :sleeping: . My guys are great except I did loose one because of the heat and amount we were working. His last week was hell though because we laid a 450 sq ft slate patio in 6 hours, over 4000lbs of slate.
Thanks
James

Charles Odell
08-14-2005, 04:33 PM
We call the temp services here in Little Rock "Rent A Drunk" :p LOL

Albemarle Lawn
08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Friday: New guy, cell phone in 1 hand, cig in other. Once weedeater was in his hand he developed "stomach virus" in 15 minutes.

Monday(today): Next new guy. Survived first job, but stopped working to ask ME if I wanted to become and Independant Business Owner (sell Amway). Also on first job stopped work to wander through barn and talk to customer's horses.
Dropped on second job, was dragging backpack blower around, I said "what's going on?" Reply: "This job isn't for me, can you take me home?"
NO CALL A RIDE OR WALK I HAVE WORK TO DO!!! :realmad:

Same (Monday) guy also made a point to tell me he grew up on a farm and knew hard work, before he moved to the ghetto as a teen. He elaborated how the two different upbringings (farm and ghetto) is how he became so tough, and hard working. :help:

mkwl
08-15-2005, 11:57 PM

LOL! Sounds like good help is even harder to find these days! :dizzy: