PDA

View Full Version : Black dust on deck of mower?

Mack77
08-13-2005, 12:30 PM
I was out cutting yesterday...my customers wanted their lawns cut even though they were VERY dry. It was extremely hot out and the mower was kicking up a lot of dust here and there so the machine got quite dusty during the course of the day. During my last lawn i noticed the left side of my deck on the Bobcat ZTR becomming ever so "Black" with this graphite looking dust. (The side furthest away from the chute) The dust was very fine like powdered graphite, and dark black in color. I thought it could simply be the dust from the grass and dirt, but that would be a dust brown in color...not deep black.

I hope this isnt a big problem...it was just strange seeing this dust all over the deck of the machine- any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

TURFLORD
08-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I was out cutting yesterday...my customers wanted their lawns cut even though they were VERY dry. It was extremely hot out and the mower was kicking up a lot of dust here and there so the machine got quite dusty during the course of the day. During my last lawn i noticed the left side of my deck on the Bobcat ZTR becomming ever so "Black" with this graphite looking dust. (The side furthest away from the chute) The dust was very fine like powdered graphite, and dark black in color. I thought it could simply be the dust from the grass and dirt, but that would be a dust brown in color...not deep black.

I hope this isnt a big problem...it was just strange seeing this dust all over the deck of the machine- any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
It sounds like that dust might be the "little black fruiting bodies" associated with some fungii. It's that time of year.

topsites
08-13-2005, 01:01 PM
The only time I've ever seen this kind of dust was from a belt smoking or slipping... thou i wouldn't call it graphite, you might still check your belts, see if one is glazed then that could be it.

dishboy
08-13-2005, 02:02 PM
The only time I've ever seen this kind of dust was from a belt smoking or slipping... thou i wouldn't call it graphite, you might still check your belts, see if one is glazed then that could be it.

This would be my call also.

ITL
08-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Mower deck was covered with same description fine black powder. Yellow deck looked like leading edges were painted flat black. It has been very dry and extremely hot. When we used blower on croncrete surfaces they seemed to have fine black powder lightly covering them. Used handheld to remove the black dust from mower.

Wayne

DLCS
08-13-2005, 02:16 PM
It sounds like that dust might be the "little black fruiting bodies" associated with some fungii. It's that time of year.

I agree. I have a couple properties that get that every year about this time. If it was a belt causing that much dust, you would know it cause more than lickely it would have shredded or smelled.

rodfather
08-13-2005, 02:40 PM
We had it on our mowers all last week. Comes fron extremely dry conditions. Last time I saw it this bad was in '99.

gonecuttinggrass
08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
had the same thing on my w/b the choke was sticking a little and that made it run rich the black came from muffler

iluvscag
08-13-2005, 02:52 PM
I had a little bit of it also down here. :)

geogunn
08-13-2005, 04:52 PM
since you are in new jerkey I'd say it is related to dioxin or some other hazardous waste.

GEO

TMlawncare
08-13-2005, 04:53 PM
It could be from the belts but probably not. Usually the black dust you are referring to is mold spores from a lawn fungus. During this time of the season the fungus are at there peak. Our mower decks get covered in it. Last year it was so bad the front of the exmark deck was almost completly black as were my shoes.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-13-2005, 04:57 PM
put up some pics mack

rodfather
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
since you are in new jerkey I'd say it is related to dioxin or some other hazardous waste.

GEO

Jealous GEO...LOL :D

lawnmaniac883
08-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Hehe, could always be soot from my truck.

DLCS
08-13-2005, 07:22 PM
If you are getting black dust on your deck. Walk through the lawn(which you probably do anyway) and see if you get the dust on your shoes. When I see it on my decks, I usually have it on my shoes too.

Roger
08-13-2005, 07:25 PM
... what TMLawncare said.

Gatewayuser
08-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Same problem in SW Ohio, black dust turned most of my mower black, also make sure to check your air filter mines full of that crap. It turned me so black I looked like I had been coal mining all day.