PDA

View Full Version : Work smarter not harder.

TURFLORD
08-14-2005, 08:12 AM
I've read an opinion being posted recently in a couple of threads stating that a wb can be faster that a ztr. I don't see how this is possible. This is my 23rd season and I've used them all. All sizes, all shapes, all configurations. Blah Blah lawn size. Blah Blah obstacles. Humpin it behind a wb will give you heat exhaustion by noon on a nice Summer day. A guy on a ztr will accomplish alot more and still be able to have children at the end of the day. And don't yap about strength. I spread 3000 lbs + of lime with a Lesco push spreader the other day over all manner of terrain.

ProLawns
08-14-2005, 08:37 AM
No doubt Z's are faster. My productivity went way up when I bought mine.

Jusmowin
08-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Even a WB w/ a sulky is still no match for a Z, thats why I ssold my BIG wb as I just had no use for it !

Jusmowin

Richard Martin
08-14-2005, 10:55 AM
When I bought my first Dixie I fired my part-time helper and increased productivity over the walkbehind it replaced by a good 50%. I do lawns from 1/5 acre (and smaller) to 2.5 acres.

The only people who claim a walkbehind is faster on any property than a ZTR are those who just can't bring themselves to buy a ZTR. It can be difficult to spend 8 grand plus when walkbehinds can be had for 2 grand. But once they make the jump they rarely go back. There is only one outfit where I live that has strictly walkbehinds and they are getting out of the biz because they said they can't make any money cutting grass.

MTR
08-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I've read an opinion being posted recently in a couple of threads stating that a wb can be faster that a ztr. I don't see how this is possible. This is my 23rd season and I've used them all. All sizes, all shapes, all configurations. Blah Blah lawn size. Blah Blah obstacles. Humpin it behind a wb will give you heat exhaustion by noon on a nice Summer day. A guy on a ztr will accomplish alot more and still be able to have children at the end of the day. And don't yap about strength. I spread 3000 lbs + of lime with a Lesco push spreader the other day over all manner of terrain.

No question asked, I am trying to sell my 36" Metro by the end of season, and trying to acquire a Super Mini Z 52/25 or a Super Z 52/27, or Lazer hp 52/23 before next season starts. You have to start somewhere and steady yourself without getting in huge debt, once established and feel confident, now you can decide how to improve productivity without worry about debt.

Baseballer1100
08-14-2005, 12:38 PM
How much are you going to look to sell the walk behind for?

bushtrimmer
08-14-2005, 01:04 PM
The only people who claim a walkbehind is faster on any property than a ZTR are those who just can't bring themselves to buy a ZTR. It can be difficult to spend 8 grand plus when walkbehinds can be had for 2 grand. But once they make the jump they rarely go back. There is only one outfit where I live that has strictly walkbehinds and they are getting out of the biz because they said they can't make any money cutting grass.

That statement is absurd!
I have two crews that use walkbehinds only. One of them is my most profitable crew. They cut 30-50 yards a day in a half mile radius, nothing larger than a quarter of an acre. Each crew has either a 52 or 60" Turf Tracer but because of the contour of most of the yards, it just doesn't make sense to try to put a zero turn in it.
Believe me, it's not the money. I spend almost as much on these walkbehinds as a lot of people do on zero turns.

Richard Martin
08-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Each crew has either a 52 or 60" Turf Tracer but because of the contour of most of the yards, it just doesn't make sense to try to put a zero turn in it.
Believe me, it's not the money. I spend almost as much on these walkbehinds as a lot of people do on zero turns.

If contour is a problem give them a short wheel base mower like a Dixie Chopper. 46" axle center to axle center. 75" overall. You can actually get a 60" Dixie into spots that a 60" Turf Tracer won't fit into. For example, you have a spot along side a house that is 100 feet long and 7 feet wide that is closed on one end. Both the Dixie and the walkbehind will fit down the area. The difference is the walkbehind must be backed back out of the area but the Dixie will turn around at the end and come back out forwards.

tinman
08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
I like my 52 inch WB,,, but it can not keep up with either of my choppers. Now on some perfect small yards the time is very close. But on large properties the ZTR crushes the WB. ANd after a week of using only WB I was sore (ZTR was in shop & b4 I got new chopper)

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-14-2005, 04:07 PM

I have two crews that use walkbehinds only. One of them is my most profitable crew. They cut 30-50 yards a day in a half mile radius, nothing larger than a quarter of an acre. Each crew has either a 52 or 60" Turf Tracer but because of the contour of most of the yards, it just doesn't make sense to try to put a zero turn in it.
Besides lawn tractor races we need some type of grass cutting rodeo! :)

Richard Martin
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Besides lawn tractor races we need some type of grass cutting rodeo! :)

I held one a few years back. All varieties of mowing equipment showed up. We even had a wheelie pulling riding tractor show up. The results were so unbalanced between the ZTRs and walkbehinds/riding tractors that we had to seperate the results so the WB/RT guys wouldn't go home all ticked off.

It wasn't just drag racing either. Competitions were held for efficiency, straight lines, speed around obstacles (with points taken off for divots) and a whole host of skills. Operator skill was very important.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Would be interesting if someone could put one together that toured across the country like the Woodworking Show with sponsorship from the various manufacturers.

drmiller100
08-15-2005, 03:02 AM
in what situation is a wb better then a ztr?
i honestly can't imagine it.

TURFLORD
08-15-2005, 06:27 AM
in what situation is a wb better then a ztr?
i honestly can't imagine it.
When a wb blows up, you can still push it up the trailer gate, that's about it.

alwaysgreener
08-15-2005, 06:32 AM

Your post stated "work smarter not harder" well pushing that much fert is not working smarter :D

drmiller100
08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
yeah, what he said. The smarter way is to load it into your hydroseeder, mix with water, and spread.

you DO have a hydroseeder, right????
:) :rolleyes:

lawnprosteveo
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
No doubt Z's are faster. My productivity went way up when I bought mine.
Same here...I love my Z!

TURFLORD
08-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Your post stated "work smarter not harder" well pushing that much fert is not working smarter :D
If I could find someone in my area that rents one of those ride-on spreaders, I WOULD. A mower mounted model wouldn't be practical in enough situations. Even the ride-on wouldn't go everywhere. I do mostly liquid app. The only time I push a spreader is lime and seed and the odd bag of fert.