08-14-2005, 08:58 AM
just wondering what you guys think of this trimmer had one for about a month
and not completely satisfied w/ it. its like pull starting a cummins diesel and
feels about 10 lbs heavier than the fs85 especially after using it awhile
just thought i'd get some comments from you guys

thanks, Lee

mcwlandscaping
08-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I wish they didn't stop making the FS 85 R. I love mine but will probably get the fs 110 R.

john_incircuit
08-14-2005, 11:49 AM
We have a couple of Stihl 110 trimmers. Our ones are pretty easy to start, takes less force compared to an 85.

About the weight... my wife (110 pounds) can handle them all day long...

John

John Gamba
08-14-2005, 11:54 AM
They weigh 10.4 Pounds. They start and run on the first pull.

John

sawman65
08-14-2005, 01:53 PM
they still make the fs80 same as the 85 just the drive shaft is a flex.i have sold many of the 110/130's and have some unhappy customers but not many.
they have little more maintance valve adjustment is the most important.but the trade off is torque and lots of it.if your is not starting on the 3rd pull then
the valves need to be adjusted.you should have got a gasket and a lash tool with your trimmer when you got it.if you did not find a new dealer.when you buy a stihl you are buying service if you dealer is not willing to go over maintance issues with you then you dont need him.

khutch
08-14-2005, 03:25 PM
What is the procedure for the valve adjustment?
Got 3 of the 4 mixes and would rather not pay the dealer if I can do it myself w/o mucking it up.

John Gamba
08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
What is the procedure for the valve adjustment?
Got 3 of the 4 mixes and would rather not pay the dealer if I can do it myself w/o mucking it up.

I hear its easy, but i dont know yet.

John

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Here's what lawnmaniac recently posted for me
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1096008#post1096008

burns60
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
We have a couple of Stihl 110 trimmers. Our ones are pretty easy to start, takes less force compared to an 85.

About the weight... my wife (110 pounds) can handle them all day long...

John

Forget the Stihl110 trimmer. Where did you get that woman?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-16-2005, 12:34 AM
they still make the fs80 same as the 85 just the drive shaft is a flex.i have sold many of the 110/130's and have some unhappy customers but not many.
they have little more maintance valve adjustment is the most important.but the trade off is torque and lots of it.if your is not starting on the 3rd pull then
the valves need to be adjusted.you should have got a gasket and a lash tool with your trimmer when you got it.if you did not find a new dealer.when you buy a stihl you are buying service if you dealer is not willing to go over maintance issues with you then you dont need him.
My dealer always explains operations and functions on new equipment. He also puts his sticker on it, but it looks cool so I don't mind.

yardmanlee
08-16-2005, 07:04 AM
the guys at the dealership are great as far as parts but the salesman that was there that day was a grumpy old man that i dont really care for.
since then I've been so darn busy I havent had time to get back there
(and I'm not complaining about the busy part either !!!) business is great !!!

sawman65
08-21-2005, 01:32 PM
the valve lash adjustment should be in the owners book

Lawnworks
08-21-2005, 02:54 PM
We have 7 of the 4-mix's and we like them better than the redmax junk we had before. I am hoping these stihl trimmers will last a couple of years.

lawnmaniac883
08-21-2005, 05:34 PM
First off, it is impossible to pull start a cummins turbo diesel. Secondly, if you cant handle the wieght, then you must be a chicken $%#* person with no muscle at all. These things have excellent torque and are well worth the whopping 10.4 pound payload.

yardmanlee
08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
yeah the salesman didnt mention that one or give me the lash adjustment kit
either and he thinks he knows everything the parts guys is who i usually deal w/ and they gave me what i needed, and thanks for all the info here

learning a lot on here

lee

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, at one time, in the bliss of my youth and health, I also used to think the weight of the hand tools was nothing to consider at all. But now I view it differently and only accept beneficial weight that is worthy of being lugged around.

I mean, if you do not do a lot of trimming per-day/per-stop then it matters a lot less. But if you trim as much as I do, with temps and humidity both in the 90's... then it starts to matter... at least it does to me anyways.

I learned just how much it meant in quick fashion when I put a heavier full-blown 4 cycle trimmer in the field to replace my Stihl FS 85R. Man, that almost killed me. It only weighed a few pounds more. But that extra weight and poor balance really got to me. It was really back heavy due to the engine. Needless to say, it did not take me very long to change my attitude and fix the Stihl.

I checked out the FS110 (4-Mix/Steel Shaft). It's not supposed to weigh that much more than the 85's... But I can feel a difference. The engine is heavier, but not as heavy as the other one, nor is it is as poorly balanced.

But on the other hand, that FS110RX with the cable drive, boy does that thing ever feel GREAT as far as balance goes. But it's lack of a steel drive shaft takes away one of the big plus factors that Stihl has.... If a trimmer or edger, ect, goes down, the gear heads are quickly interchangeable. So if say your string trimmer goes down, you can put the string head on the edger and keep trucking without a stick edger the rest of the day.

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Oh... and with all the above said... as much as I like Stihl, my recent 4 stroke trimmer experience has me feeling reluctant about the 4-Mix products. Although they are lighter and run 2 cycle mix, they are still 4 strokes.

So can anybody here who has went from the 85's to the 110's comment?
My worry is now about the engine and string head RPM.
The 4 stroke I used had acceptable power but lacked the RPM's.

You don't miss the RPM's until they are not there at the head.
This 4 stroke did not cut anywhere near it's 2 stroke version...
That resulted in a lot more swinging.

Cutter LLC
08-22-2005, 12:17 AM
I went from a stihl fs80 to a stihl fs100rx if that applies. I thought the first day or two that the 4 stroke maybe was a little lacking in rpm, never tourque though and then it broke in fully. I know start my 80 and laugh due to the differance in power. The only reason I keep the 80 is for blade attachment.
JMHO

Cutter