PDA

View Full Version : I got shot by another company

Amco Landscaping
08-14-2005, 09:55 AM
I decided to take my wife's minivan this morning to run some errands. I was driving by a house that was having its lawn done when a huge rock kicked out from the dixie chopper the guy was riding and smashed my passenger side window. I tried to be really cool about to the guys mowing who didnt speak english, but they started telling me they didnt do it and talking to each other in spanish. I nicely said call your boss. they ignored me so i called the state troopers. Then the owner came and told me he would pay for the window. Kind of a reality check for me to make sure we mow with the deflectors on and be more cautious when we are near roads. If my passenger window was open that rock would have killed me im sure.

Likestomow
08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm glad you are okay. You have been given grace.

bushtrimmer
08-14-2005, 01:06 PM
A community here near Cincinnati had a girl killed by a rock being thrown from a mower deck and they passed on ordinance that made it illegal to mow without a deflector.
BTW, we don't mow any yards there.

Envy Lawn Service
08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Deflectors are for operator convienince/safety.... not bystander safety.

They do not prevent side exit from the mower deck and therefore offer little to no safety benefit.

PTP
08-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Deflectors are for operator convienince/safety.... not bystander safety.

They do not prevent side exit from the mower deck and therefore offer little to no safety benefit.
Operator convenience?

I find it much more convenient to mow with the deflector not there.

Envy Lawn Service
08-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Operator convenience?

I find it much more convenient to mow with the deflector not there.

Me Too!!!!!!!

LawnBoy89
08-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Usually for a rock to hit someone it has to leave the mower deck up at an angle, if the deflector was there it would have either bounced it down or just have shot it low across the lawn so maybe it would have helped them out.

arborist-28
08-14-2005, 05:21 PM
should have left a business card ...I'm sure the homeowner isn't very happy about how the situation was handled ... lol , c

iluvscag
08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Another situation where english would have came in handy. :rolleyes:

Lawn Masters
08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Well, they were kind of careless by not checking for rocks in the first place. you should have gotten the name of the company and talked to the boss and made them pay for repairs, it was THEIR fault, so they should pay. this is assuming they speak english. if it were me, they'd BETTER have insurance, cause if they dont, I'd be really mad.

HOOLIE
08-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Well at least nobody was hurt, and the window will be paid for. C'mon, does anyone really check for rocks first? Stuff happens, despite your best intentions you're gonna launch a projectile every once in a while. You just hope it doesn't hit anything.

Howard Roark
08-14-2005, 08:46 PM
They always play dumb and pretend they don't know English. That's when you need to get aggressive with them. They work hard, but most of them play very dirty, at least in my experience which is quite a bit.

Glad you didn't get hurt!