PDA

View Full Version : I think this was uncalled for

little mike
08-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I 'm just starting out in the business so I haven't gotten around to getting commercial walk behind yet right now I've got a Murray mower EB7701 blower,Fc110 stick edger,and RedMax BC3401 Trimmer next year hopefully I'll be able to purchace Exmark Metro 32" a few days ago I was doing my cust property when another LCO across the way comes over and tells me that, I need to get a bigger more powerful mower if I want to make any real money now Iknow y'all are thinking that the guy was probably trying to be helpful and I wouldn't have mind if that was the case however it was the smug arrogant way he which he said it that bothered me I politly let him know to worry about his own operation and let me worry about mind I don't mean no offense guys but I'll tell you right now there is not a one of us that is better than the next guy we all put our pants on one leg at a time and every one of you started at the bottom and worked your way up because the only job you start at the top is digging a hole again I apologize if I offended anyone out there

stumper1620
08-14-2005, 05:08 PM
I 'm just starting out in the business so I haven't gotten around to getting commercial walk behind yet right now I've got a Murray mower EB7701 blower,Fc110 stick edger,and RedMax BC3401 Trimmer next year hopefully I'll be able to purchace Exmark Metro 32" a few days ago I was doing my cust property when another LCO across the way comes over and tells me that, I need to get a bigger more powerful mower if I want to make any real money now Iknow y'all are thinking that the guy was probably trying to be helpful and I wouldn't have mind if that was the case however it was the smug arrogant way he which he said it that bothered me I politly let him know to worry about his own operation and let me worry about mind I don't mean no offense guys but I'll tell you right now there is not a one of us that is better than the next guy we all put our pants on one leg at a time and every one of you started at the bottom and worked your way up because the only job you start at the top is digging a hole again I apologize if I offended anyone out there
don't let it bother you, just keep your goals clear in your mind and don't change them unless its your choice. other than that, Keep your customers happy and follow your growth to reach your goals.

JB1
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
was it FAREWAY, maybe he's in Texas now.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-14-2005, 05:36 PM
My first thought reading this post was - Who is the REALLY?

But on this subject, I had a neighbor that ran a crew of three guys (including himself) using only Toro 21" mowers. He did just fine with that business model. Every winter he went somewhere in Europe and came back in the spring to mow yards again. payup

gunner27
08-14-2005, 05:37 PM
This is the longest sentence I have ever read.

rodfather
08-14-2005, 05:48 PM
This is the longest sentence I have ever read.

I stopped reading in the middle of the third line...it was giving me a headache.

MrFangs
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, it was uncalled for. He was just feeding his ego. He's a low-life.

You'll get your chance to feed yours when you're twice as big as him.

Cimarron Landscape
08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
he's a jerk.
I started the same way...minus the redmax trimmer, etc.
Watch your classifieds like a hawk. That's how I got my Toro Proline.
~Brian

arborist-28
08-14-2005, 06:24 PM
eh I wouldn't have given it a second thought ..c

MrFangs
08-14-2005, 06:32 PM
eh I wouldn't have given it a second thought ..c

I love your signature.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I just tried, and I actually put my pants on two legs at the same time. I had to kind of jump though. Trust me, I'm not making this up.

Mr. Magpie
08-14-2005, 06:58 PM
You should have gotten to know that guy, just for fun. Ask him how he started out, ask how much he makes, if he ever had any problems that kept him from making money. Get past the, "What a prick" mindset and just live your life to the best of your ability.

Eddie B
08-14-2005, 07:18 PM
A LCO once told me the same thing... I asked what he recommended as a good commercial mower while on a tight budget. I ended up with a 48" Bobcat and it was the best dang purchase I ever made! I still talk to the guy from time to time.

HOOLIE
08-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Did this other LCO call you "chief" by any chance?

Master Po
08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
There are a lot of pricks out there who have inferiority complexes because their wives are ugly, they don't have anything in their pants, or their business sucks. I've had the same thing happen to me.

Lawn Wolf
08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
There are a lot of pricks out there who have inferiority complexes because their wives are ugly, they don't have anything in their pants, or their business sucks. I've had the same thing happen to me.

In other words they have a small snake ( little wee wee )... :cool2:

GrassBustersLawn
08-14-2005, 10:42 PM
It is alot better to MAKE FRIENDS with the COMPETITION than to piss them off! He might have just been using that as a conversation starter. You might just be able to PROFIT from FRIENDLY COMPETITION...throw you some business he didn't want, etc. Now all this guy is going to want to do is to SCREW YOU (steal your accounts) every chance he gets.

Mike

south jerz
08-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Because I can tell you one thing, it was dead on!

Take out a loan, get another job for cash, just do what you have to do to ditch that Murray and get a 36 W/B, NOW!

Every summer you cut with that mower you're flushing your time (aka your money) right down the toilet.

I can see getting defensive at some things, but if you're trying to run a real lawn service with one homeowner pushmower you got another thing coming.

The 21" has its place in a lawn service, but never as the "flagship" mower.

Some guys start at "the top": F350, Enclosed Trailer, 2 ZTR's, W/b's, Multiple Trimmers, Blowers, etc. You don't have to start there, but find a middle ground man! Many high school lawnboys have a better rig than you, no offense. If you want to make a high school freshman's summer earnings, go ahead. If you want to make a living, step it up at least a little in the mower department.

You advertise and buy a commercial hydro 48 WB you could be grossing $400-500 a day solo. A ztr, $550-600+. That's with a dense route. Somehow I don't think you're close to that with the Murray.

bohiaa
08-14-2005, 11:57 PM
none of us were born with silver spoons in our mouth's

topsites
08-14-2005, 11:58 PM

For the most part, they don't bother me no more.

topsites
08-15-2005, 12:02 AM
he's a jerk.
I started the same way...minus the redmax trimmer, etc.
Watch your classifieds like a hawk. That's how I got my Toro Proline.
~Brian

around here if you want a toro, you need to get the classified the MINUTE the delivery person drops them off at the gas station / c-store. Depending where you go, the paper gets there earlier and you want to find the location where the classifieds get delivered to FIRST. Then you have to do this every week or so and keep doing it. WHEN you find a toro, call the number immediately AND be ready to change your plans but if no answer, leaving a message is good. If they still have the toro, you will usually need 1 thousand dollars CASH.

ebay's got'm too, but classified is better (local and cheaper).

topsites
08-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Because I can tell you one thing, it was dead on!

yeah but it really ain't none of y'allses beeswax to go out of your way and actually walk up to someone just to play the chip you got on your shoulder. kid ought to carry a gun for those special situations, then when they walk up to him, just pull out the gun, point it at them cocked and loaded and ask how can I help you?

Runner
08-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Was this guy eating a Big Mac and drinking a Coke??? :rolleyes:

Eddie B
08-15-2005, 02:33 AM
around here if you want a toro, you need to get the classified the MINUTE the delivery person drops them off at the gas station / c-store. Depending where you go, the paper gets there earlier and you want to find the location where the classifieds get delivered to FIRST. Then you have to do this every week or so and keep doing it. WHEN you find a toro, call the number immediately AND be ready to change your plans but if no answer, leaving a message is good. If they still have the toro, you will usually need 1 thousand dollars CASH.

ebay's got'm too, but classified is better (local and cheaper).

Work for a newspaper company... I can get inserts (classifieds) 7:30pm the day prior to release, rest of the paper by 1am, day of release. :drinkup:

SoloMow
08-15-2005, 03:21 AM

Was this guy sporting a backpack blower that could level any wooden structure within three blocks of ground zero? :p

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Was this guy sporting a backpack blower that could level any wooden structure within three blocks of ground zero? :p

I hope this doesn't mean you miss Fareway? :help:

MrFangs
08-15-2005, 04:27 AM

That's the worst thing possible in this type of heat.

Tharrell
08-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I agree, that sentence was so long I had to go pee before I got to the end. ;)

mbricker
08-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Maybe this other lco was coming across as a little arrogant, when he actually was trying to be helpful. Try to overlook stuff that might first come across as insulting, and you might gain from it.

As for getting first shot at the classified ads, some newspapers have them online before the paper hits the street. Check to see if your paper does that. Might get to a bargain before everyone else even hears about it. Although what results you might get by calling someone at 3:00 a.m. to try to buy their mower.... :rolleyes:

SodKing
08-15-2005, 06:36 PM
yeah but it really ain't none of y'allses beeswax topsites

Someone needs to take English 101...

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-15-2005, 06:42 PM
yeah but it really ain't none of y'allses beeswax to go out of your way and actually walk up to someone just to play the chip you got on your shoulder. kid ought to carry a gun for those special situations, then when they walk up to him, just pull out the gun, point it at them cocked and loaded and ask how can I help you?

I hope yer takin' yer meds.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-15-2005, 06:47 PM
topsites

Someone needs to take English 101...
beeswax aint English?