PDA

View Full Version : Being sued for breaking glass door......

2k1yzfr1
08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
About a week ago I was mowing a client that I picked up about 3 months ago and picked up a rock with a trimmer and shattered her side door. I have another client that ownes a glass company who I had go out there that day and take a look at it. Come to find out it is a "special made door" that has a mini blind inbetween 2 panes of glass, but he said he could fix it for me for around $450-500. I called the home owner who informed me that the whole insert from brick to brick was $3200ish, but thought she could have just the door replaced for around $1200. So I called the insurance company who handles my general liability and the women told me that there is a $500 deductible, and there isn't any problem. Anyways on Friday the homeowner called me and said, "thank goodness you have insurance because their homebuilder (come to find out is also a very good friend of theirs) said that it is going to cost $4065 to fix the door and that everything has to be replaced. I told her that I am turning it over to insuance and they will handle it from here. Later that day the insurance lady called back and told me that the adjuster met with the homeowner who was being a complete ass saying "it's non of your business who I got estimates from" and "can I follow you back to the office to get my check". Well the insurance lady called me around 4:30 on Friday and told me they aren't going to pay her $4065 to fix a piece of glass which I totally agree with them on and to not have anymore contact with the women. Well Friday around 5:30 I got a phone call from her saying if she doesn't have a check from them next week, then her lawyer will be contacting me. :rolleyes: What really pisses me off is that she was being nice and cooperative before she found out I have insurance saying she thinks it's going to be around $1000. Now that insurance is involved I think she wants a free 7 night trip somewhere! Has anyone had any run ins with insurance scam artist like this? If so how was the outcome?

Here's a picture of the "special made" $4065 door.

grassmanvt
08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
This is why insurance costs so much, because people think insurance equals "free money".

all ferris
08-14-2005, 09:44 PM
I worked at a window and door company for 6 years b4 I started cutting and I still have really good relations with my fromer employer. I know for a fact that you can buy the surround (plastic thing around glass) with the glass and it would have been good as new. $4000 is way out of line. You can buy a house full of windows and doors for that price.

pcnservices
08-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Take the manufactuer's name of the door and go to your nearest lumber company. It could be a Pella from the description you gave. Stanley doors are also very common. You do not have to take the complete door with frame and all out of the wall. That's stupid! As far as I know on most of those exterior doors you can just slide out the hinge pins and replace the damaged door with a new door at a fraction of the cost.
Get your estimates and instruct your insurance accordingly. Dont allow that client and her handyman take you for a ride! They see you as a cashcow at this point and want to make a buck out of your insurance. That's fraudulant! They will go to court and sit in jail. I will not place that kind of burden on my insurance because it's gonna cost me on the long term.

rodfather
08-14-2005, 09:56 PM
So what is so special about that door? Nothing IMO...

Gene $immons
08-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Insurance is supposed to get the client back to what they had before the damgge occured, nothing more. I hate people like that.

Frontier-Lawn
08-14-2005, 10:06 PM
if she sues counter sue!

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Insurance is supposed to get the client back to what they had before the damgge occured
I wish that were the case with auto insurance. They want to total a vehicle and you are expected to take a loss! :realmad:

TURF DOCTOR
08-14-2005, 10:14 PM
I purchased 1 door just like that for 350, lowes, 84 lumber here wiithout paint and hardware 1k would be plenty.

blair smock
08-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I sware to you bought the exact same doors from Lowes, in columbus for $589.00, Pella sell them for $4K, It cost me 175.00 from local glass place to replace it when my dog ran into them and broke a pain of glass- Good luck -let insurance take care of it, Jerks everywhere-:) Blair

Mo Green
08-14-2005, 10:20 PM
How can she expect a check for a whole new door enclosure, when the only thing damaged was the glass? Once the glass is replaced, the door is back to it's original condition.

Let her sue. I don't think there is a judge in the world that would give her what she is asking for. :dizzy:

2k1yzfr1
08-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Rodfather that's exactly what I was thinking. I hate low life people out there trying to get something for nothing. I'm hoping my insurance reams her for insurance fraud. I've been letting her think I am 100% on her side through all this only until I could get the $153 check she owes me from July which I am picking up at 8 in the morning. Then I will let her know what I think about her little plan. I think it would look a little fishy if I tried to bill her for the 2 mowings in August.......then again I could tell her a sad story about how I am needing the extra money to try to come up with the deductible, so I don't have to take out a loan or sell a mower or my dog. :p I hope she gets what's coming to her for trying to screw the insurance.

2k1yzfr1
08-14-2005, 10:22 PM
She's bitching about how she doesn't want it southern engineered and how "its all one piece and can't be sold seperately" BLAH BLAH I asked her does the door swing open??? She said yeah......well it's not all one piece. And BTW "here's you sign mam"

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-14-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't think there is a judge in the world that would give her what she is asking for. :dizzy:
Oh yes there is.....oh, they're not in California, never mind :D

GrassBustersLawn
08-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Just tell her "YOU'VE TURNED IT INTO YOUR INSURANCE." and don't have anything else to do with her. Your INSURANCE will DEFEND YOU if she can find an ATTORNEY that is dumb enough to sue over this. (She is just blowing smoke to try and get a reaction from you.) NO reasonable attorney is going to jack around with something this small. IT IS NOT WORTH THEIR TIME! They are all trying to do class action suits or things with a LARGE UPSIDE POTENTIAL. Your insurance will handle it and take care of it. ALSO, I don't know WHY YOU WOULD HAVE A DEDUCTIBLE for a LIABILITY CLAIM. Double check your insurance policy. Deductibles usually only apply when YOU have a loss...your car is damaged or your equipment STOLEN. Usually don't have deductibles for liability losses...but it is possible...DOUBLE CHECK.

(I was in insurance for 17 years and NEVER sold anyone a policy that had a deductible for a LIABILITY loss.)

Mike

quiet
08-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Let your insurance company handle it; that's what you buy insurance for. Stay out of it.

They have claims adjusters that are trained to do this, and know the costs of repairs inside and out. If your client tries to file a fraudulent claim, your insurance company will handle it. Filing a fraudulent claim is a serious offense.

Varsity L&G
08-14-2005, 10:38 PM
This is exaclty why I will have insurance before I even fire up the mower at a site other then my house. In this case the insurance has paid for itself.

burns60
08-14-2005, 11:55 PM
After you get your $153. you might mention to her that you plan to talk with the State Insurance Commissioner and just see if she is due the total replacement price or whatever it takes to put it back in the original condition.

MrFangs
08-15-2005, 12:06 AM
It IS your right to get a estimate. Infact, they are suppose to get an average of 3. Watch daytime court, they will even tell you that!

I would say "I have hired a lawyer who'll be investigating you for insurance fraud." That would scare the **** out of anybody. You can get jail time for that.

cantoo
08-15-2005, 12:13 AM
That's a insert panel. There are millions of styles available and that is one of the cheaper ones. Do an internet search so you will know what you are talking about with the customer.

topsites
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
People I been trying and trying to tell you they will do this to you but OH no, nobody ever listens to me, you HAVE to have insurance!!! Omfg !!!

*NOW* do you understand why I have NO insurance???

Because when you have no insurance, you get that friend to fix it for 450-500 which is the SAME money as the deductible AND you put the $400 annual insurance fee in your pocket... Meanwhile the stupid con-artist who wants 4 THOUSAND would either have never hired me in the first place because they know someone without insurance can't cover things like that OR they would be a little bit kinder knowing I am paying for it out of pocket. Either way, it's one-on-one: Them and me, there IS no adjuster middleman mufugga to go act stupid around someone like that get her all p'oed or what not. I dun heard this story so many times, when will anyone learn?

NO insurance is cheaper AND it keeps the greedy f*cks out of my hair, everyone knows the insco scam, I wasn't born yesterday either.

MrFangs
08-15-2005, 12:17 AM
People I been trying and trying to tell you they will do this to you but OH no, nobody ever listens to me, you HAVE to have insurance!!! Omfg !!!

Because when you have no insurance, you get that friend to fix it for 450-500 which is the SAME money as the deductible AND you put the $400 annual insurance fee in your pocket... Meanwhile the stupid con-artist who wants 4 THOUSAND would either have never hired me in the first place because they know someone without insurance can't cover things like that OR they would be a little bit kinder knowing I am paying for it out of pocket. Either way, it's one-on-one: Them and me, there IS no adjuster middleman mufugga to go act stupid around someone like that get her all p'oed or what not. I dun heard this story so many times, when will anyone learn?

NO insurance is cheaper AND it keeps the greedy f*cks out of my hair, everyone knows the insco scam, I wasn't born yesterday either.

I almost feel the same way.

Why didn't you say "I will fix it." and it's DONE!

topsites
08-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Rodfather that's exactly what I was thinking. I hate low life people out there trying to get something for nothing. I'm hoping my insurance reams her for insurance fraud. I've been letting her think I am 100% on her side through all this only until I could get the $153 check she owes me from July which I am picking up at 8 in the morning. Then I will let her know what I think about her little plan. I think it would look a little fishy if I tried to bill her for the 2 mowings in August.......then again I could tell her a sad story about how I am needing the extra money to try to come up with the deductible, so I don't have to take out a loan or sell a mower or my dog. :p I hope she gets what's coming to her for trying to screw the insurance.

ermm... hope you clear the check before you let her know the deal :)

2k1yzfr1
08-15-2005, 12:25 AM

And when a rock flys off your mower and hits an old lady across the street weeding her garden and she looses her eye...........Do you pay her $20,000 in hospital bills??

Topsites I will be at her bank @9:00 :p

MrFangs
08-15-2005, 12:27 AM
And when a rock flys off your mower and hits an old lady across the street weeding her garden and she looses her eye...........Do you pay her $20,000 in hospital bills??

Topsites I will be at her bank @9:00 :p

across the street? come on, now. :rolleyes:

cantoo
08-15-2005, 12:34 AM
topsites, things happen. One day you will wish you had insurance.

2k1yzfr1
08-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Damn what was I thinking a blade spinning at 18,000 fpm throwing an object 20 yards??? ;)

splatz100
08-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Yea topsites,

I dont think that should be the reason you're not paying insurance. I think you're one of those guys we arent supposed to be talking about. A door might be cheap to replace, but not someones life. You will have those greedy people, but they dont always get their way.

Are you not liscensed because you feel you dont need to pay taxes to the greedy IRS. Again if you dont do either of these, you dont have a business, you're just some guy going around being a S.C.R.U.B and putting everything in your pocket....

Pro-Scapes
08-15-2005, 01:41 AM
insurance is a must... across the street? oh yeah... I took out my own truck window with a rock tossed from a string trimmer at at least 25 yards away. I am quiet confident my mower running at like 18,000 fps will easily sling a small stone across a street especially if im angled just slightly so the chute isnt point down at the turf...dont beilive me? line up some cans and put a pile of rocks down and go run your mower over em. Doesnt matter if its a 30k car you damage or a nice door. Be covered.

lol can anyone else see topsites screaming at his computer and going wild as he types this crap lol... no offense topsites you just get so hyper.

Brianslawn
08-15-2005, 03:24 AM
you running your mower inside your garage again topsites? earlier this year one of my walkers threw a fist sized rock 40+ yards and hit building almost 30 feet up. last year one of the guys hit aluminum bat in tall grass and claimed it flew 10 yards. also read recently little girl was killed from rock launched by mower. how many free mowings you give out if you kill kid across street? you are running a LEGIT biz i hope. ;)

SoloMow
08-15-2005, 03:54 AM
When I was a teen (way back!) I ran over some baling wire hidden in tall grass. A piece of that wire was driven completely through a 2" solid rubber tire on my push mower. Comparing the relative densities of solid rubber and brain tissue, ................ I think I'll keep my liability insurance. ;)

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2005, 08:39 AM
This thread sucks. I wish I hadn't read it.

The lady thinks you're uninsured and she's willing to be reasonable. She finds out there is insurance and a $500 repair becomes $4,000, you are looking at the possibility of higher insurance premiums because of this ludicrous claim, you will likely get stiffed on two mows and you are going to lose the client.

If you were uninsured, not only would you have only paid $500 for the damage, you'd have saved all those insurance premiums AND you woudn't have lost a customer over this and you wouldn't be getting stiffed on two mows.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Pro-Scapes
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
This thread sucks. I wish I hadn't read it.

The lady thinks you're uninsured and she's willing to be reasonable. She finds out there is insurance and a $500 repair becomes $4,000, you are looking at the possibility of higher insurance premiums because of this ludicrous claim, you will likely get stiffed on two mows and you are going to lose the client.

If you were uninsured, not only would you have only paid $500 for the damage, you'd have saved all those insurance premiums AND you woudn't have lost a customer over this and you wouldn't be getting stiffed on two mows.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Probably but I carry insurance for the more serious things that could happen like hurting someone.... damaging a vehical bad...things of that nature. I think on a small thing like that I wouldnt even of mentioned my insurance... if my friend said he could fix it for 450 I would of been like great when can you do it.

2k1yzfr1
08-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Loosing the client doesn't bother me one bit. I don't want to mow for a con artist anyways...........now that they know I have insurance there is no telling what she might plan. The insurance adjuster just called and said he has 2 estimates from glass companies for $325-$400 to replace the entire glass insert mini blinds and all. I better get down to her business and collect before she hears this great news. :)

DFW Area Landscaper
08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
I have "we are insured for protection" advertised on my website. I think I will remove it.

That way, if the damage is small, I can pay out of pocket and play the "un-insured card". If we put someone in the hospital, then we will use the insurance.

Out of several hundred residential clients who have signed up for service, only one has ever asked me if I was insured. It simply isn't a selling point with home owners.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Loosing the client doesn't bother me one bit. I don't want to mow for a con artist anyways...........now that they know I have insurance there is no telling what she might plan. The insurance adjuster just called and said he has 2 estimates from glass companies for $325-$400 to replace the entire glass insert mini blinds and all. I better get down to her business and collect before she hears this great news. :)

Have you been served???????

John

chimmygew
08-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Keep us posted

Remsen1
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I have "we are insured for protection" advertised on my website. I think I will remove it.

That way, if the damage is small, I can pay out of pocket and play the "un-insured card". If we put someone in the hospital, then we will use the insurance.

Out of several hundred residential clients who have signed up for service, only one has ever asked me if I was insured. It simply isn't a selling point with home owners.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

I think I'm removing it from my advertising too.

Fantasy Lawns
08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Not to shoot the horse .... but once your insure has been notifed ... YOUR OUT OF THE LOOP

Sure she can sue you .... BUT your insurance company is first on the list

Back in 97 one of my guys knock an outside water spiket off .... went to shut off the water .... within 5 minutes atleast ..... $8k of water damage .... I paid my deductable, mowed the customer another 2 years before she sold the house n I have the same insurance company

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
I dont think they will get more then the cost of fixing the glass.

John

rodfather
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
This woman sounds like some kind of con artist. :angry:

Big Hoss
08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Busted two windows this year myself . First one was with a bush hog from abound 50 yards away and of course busted a double pane window and trashed the blinds behind it .
Seccond was a single pane storm window and I still can't understand that one because of the distance and angle . I think the home owner got over but cannot prove it .
But in each case I made arrangements with them to be home and I hired someone to take out the windows take them directly to the glass shop and have the necessary repairs made and proceed back to the home owners and replace them . Had thye homeowners sign a statement that all repairs were made and everything was as good as before the accident .
Picked up another contract because of the word of mouth on the promptness of the repairs .
Neither repair was worth turning over to my insurance company .

Big Hoss

cantoo
08-15-2005, 11:12 PM
DFW, we removed our insurance statement from our business cards and anything we advertise on. It's just not worth it to plant the seed in their minds. My wife backed into a big plate glass window last year. She called a window company and called the owner to tell them what was going on and when it was going to be fixed. The glass company covered the window with plywood and put a rush on the job. It ended up costed less than I could have replaced it for. The customer thanked us and also told us that when it broke they also found out that their security system wasn't working.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-16-2005, 01:14 AM
My Gatorade Propel Fitness Water tastes nasty. It is leaving an awful after taste. I'm going to get something else to drink.

2k1yzfr1
08-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Well looks like the little con-artist got what she had coming to her............last monday the insurance adjuster called me and gave me that name of the company who built the door and who to he has talked to. I asked him if we were going to fix it under insurance and he told me no the claim has been dismissed, since the door maker said it should cost under $200 to fix. I asked him if he has informed the women of this and he said that it was taken care of. So anyways I hung up contacted the door company and told me that who insert to fit in the door is $130 and can have 2 of his guys install it for $60. After I hung up the phone with the women called and seemed alittle upset about something :confused: LOL I acted like I didn't know anything when she started giving me all the information on who made the door. Curious what the insurance adjuster told her I called him back and he said, "when she called asking when I can come pick up my check she was informed that it might be a week or so b/c she is under investigation for insurance fraud." :nono: He said after he mentioned that her whole attitude on the situation changed and she suddenly became more cooperative. Anyways I have to go out and pay my $200.72 bill with the door company. :waving:

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-25-2005, 05:34 PM
LOVE IT! :cool2:

Varsity L&G
08-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Good Job.

Glad to hear it.

gogetter
08-25-2005, 07:03 PM
across the street? come on, now. :rolleyes:

Don't think it can happen??? Get a clue MrFangs!

gogetter
08-25-2005, 07:09 PM

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Read the outcome from the original poster and see how stupid your post looks now.

befnme
08-25-2005, 07:26 PM
insurance usually depreciates everything.plus if she takes you to court wich she cant because you have ins. anyway the court only awards property damage settlements to make something as good as it was not better.