PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 757 Z-Traks

PCUTSLAWNCARE
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
What do you think of a John Deere 757 Z-Trak and does anyone run them with a mulching kit in place on them? How does it hold up or does the motor bog down?

John Deere 757
Husky 326L
Redmax Trimmer
Redmax Backpack Blower
Stihl Edger
6.6 x 14 trailer
2003 Ford Truck

Perfection Cuts Lawn Care
New Albany, MS 38652

QualityLawnCare4u
08-15-2005, 12:24 AM
I have a 737 with the mulch kit. It works good in short grass but will bog down big time in tall thick or wet grass. I will say the mulch kit eliminated most of my bagging. The 717 I had though with the muclh kit beat em all hands down, wished I had kept it. Now in the winter for straw/leaf cleanup it works great with gator blades. Will turn leaves and straw to dust.

adam71234
08-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a 757 with a mulch kit. It mulches well, especially the gator blades. You can run through St. Aug, centipede, and bermuda quickly. Unless grass is way overgrown. Then there is bahia. You can cut through it at a decent speed, but I always have to double cut it. I am fortunate enough to have two mowers, one mulches and the other side discharge. I use the mulcher on the good grass while the side discharge runs through thicker grass and bahia. The mulch kit works well, but it is not quick to put on and take off. Probably 15-20 minutes to put on and 10-15 to take off.
Also, I just tried using the mulch kit without the baffles around each blade. I only the side plate on that covers the discharge. Not a good idea. The mower didn't cut bahia any better and left a lot of clumping.
The mulch kit can work for you. It just depends on your particular needs.

Adam

adam71234
08-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Also, the deck also has very little grass build up on it. And none when the grass is dry. I have been pleasantly surprised by this. Of course if the grass is wet, then it needs to be cleaned out. But it seems to be no worse than the side discharge deck.

PCUTSLAWNCARE
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
thank you for your input

rochenyguy
08-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Curious what the lowest prices you've seen/paid for the 2005 JD757 with 60" deck? Lowest I've seen/heard so far has been $7650.

MMLawn
08-19-2005, 05:47 PM
$7550..........

PCUTSLAWNCARE
08-21-2005, 12:49 AM
I paid 8250 tax and all for mine with a light kit on it

dfischer
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
$6,500 out the door for an '04 demo w/4.5 hours on it and a new JD mulch kit. Much more mower then I needed, but the price was to good to pass on.

TLC Lawn Care
10-07-2005, 12:35 PM
My dealer told me JD is improving their blade tip speed on the '06 models so they can start competing w/ the Big Boys. My opinion is the 737/757/777 are the most costly but ineffective machines on the market. I base this solely on demos.

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 01:59 PM
My dealer told me JD is improving their blade tip speed on the '06 models so they can start competing w/ the Big Boys. My opinion is the 737/757/777 are the most costly but ineffective machines on the market. I base this solely on demos.

I agree with that... but I had to comment that your opinion of them will depend on where you live.

While I share the same opinion as you, there are guys here that are getting really great use out of the machines. But until something changes, you and I will feel the same.

Until then, I will not consider one again, aside from a mulch-only application.
I'm still interested there and have not had an opportunity to try a mulching demo.

Anyways, I've asked this many times in the past, and I will ask again... can anyone post a picture of the mulch kit for the 7-Iron deck????

DLCS
10-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Anyways, I've asked this many times in the past, and I will ask again... can anyone post a picture of the mulch kit for the 7-Iron deck????

Yes, remember I posted a picture of myu mulch kit for you.

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Yes, remember I posted a picture of myu mulch kit for you.

I don't recall ever seeing that. I would like to dig it up.

The only thing I ever recall seeing was I think someone posted a pic of the hardware for a small walkbehind laying on the ground.

DLCS
10-07-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't recall ever seeing that. I would like to dig it up.

The only thing I ever recall seeing was I think someone posted a pic of the hardware for a small walkbehind laying on the ground.

Do sme digging cause i know i posted it more than once.

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Okies... we'll do, because I really have had a genuine interest all along...

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Cool.... I found the pic...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33751

Now I have questions...

That is the center and right side baffles right?
So is their nothing for the left?
Also, just to clear things up better for me, which is the front and rear?

Grassman6
10-08-2005, 01:18 AM
I put 1800 hrs on a JD 25 hp Kaw 757/60" then rebuilt the motor for $600 and now have almost 3000 hrs on the meter. Use the high lift blade TCU15881 part number and simply idle down is the dusty areas. My ineffective and useless JD777 generates almost 5 figures monthly from March thru October and will not need major engine attention because of the water cooled Kaw. Watch the spark plugs closely and adjust the valves if the spark plug burn pattern changes. Use NGK 2ES plugs and you will see only slight browning on one side of the procelen just below the electrode. So far so good at 900 hours this summer. I run mostly solo with part time teenage help.

jslawncare22
05-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a 757 with a mulch kit. It mulches well, especially the gator blades. You can run through St. Aug, centipede, and bermuda quickly. Unless grass is way overgrown. Then there is bahia. You can cut through it at a decent speed, but I always have to double cut it. I am fortunate enough to have two mowers, one mulches and the other side discharge. I use the mulcher on the good grass while the side discharge runs through thicker grass and bahia. The mulch kit works well, but it is not quick to put on and take off. Probably 15-20 minutes to put on and 10-15 to take off.
Also, I just tried using the mulch kit without the baffles around each blade. I only the side plate on that covers the discharge. Not a good idea. The mower didn't cut bahia any better and left a lot of clumping.
The mulch kit can work for you. It just depends on your particular needs.

Adam

where did you find the mulch kit for the 757 ?? i need to get one for my mower